1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Did the first years have any teething issues? It seems like they go for very little money with not too many miles on them.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Bump. :D Anybody pick up a sport tourer since this thread?

Tracer GT was mentioned a few times....no Versys or V-stroms in the mix?

Rode my buddies '19 Multi 1260S and wow, i just wanted to keep riding. Granted, that's pretty much the only sport/adv bike i've ever ridden so i do need to try a few. Some good deals out there though on used Multis.

3. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I have the KTM SD GT & a Multi. An XR would be comparable to them both although my GT is on the aggressive side with the Multi the other and the XR somewhere in the middle. I personally consider those Hyper tourers because they emphasize the sport & performance. Regular sport touring maybe a Kawi H2sx or Vers, Concours, FJR, etc..

4. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I bought an '11 Multi.
    Love it but it is tall.
    Wish I could add cruise control.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Just riding the older connie vs the newer one... the newer was a remarkably better bike. My problem with those bikes is the weight and the baggage. Always been a fan of Ventura luggage as well since it tucks behind the rider
    and is easily removed when you get to your destination. Only real problem is the plastic tank cover...and fitting a good tank bag.
    And generally speaking if you're riding 200-500 miles a day... no need to bring 30 days worth of clothes/shoes/makeup. Unless youre hitting a formal event in route...lol That being said if the terrain varied... I might prefer a GS1100 sans the boxes.
    Did you run a dedicated GPS?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

throttlemeister and/or throttle rocker wont work??

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Any one ever ridden an ST1300 vs some of the others listed? I see a lot of decent ones at good prices high and low mile ones. I've been looking at them but never ridden one. On the street I've had standards and VFR's and lots of small bikes but never anything that big. Currently I have a Hawk and an NC30, I'd like something that had a little more range and some storage, but not sure I want an adventure bike. I already ride the hawk on lots of gravel roads.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Throttlemeister is no more, unfortunately. Marker Machine was the parent company and their primary business was medical machining. I’m not sure if the medical side is still going or not.

The ST13 is a great motorcycle, but, incredibly heavy (~650-700lbs, depending on fuel load in the huge tank) for what it is. Back-to-back with a 1st Gen GL18, it’d be a tough call for me. Against the latest GL18, I’d take the 2nd Gen GL18. The latest GL18, without the trunk, feels about the same size as an ST13 and feels lighter at the bars. Through a set of Staintune mufflers (out of business), they sound like a throatier VFR. I’d probably consider a VFR12, before an ST13. I think, you’d have to ride one and figure it out, yourself.

How about a 5th or 8th Gen VFR800?

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Triple X likes this.
  10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Ride one for a few hours
    I’ve read the ST will cook you.
    What about the NT700v?
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2010-honda-nt700v.1444650/

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Have 98 VFR, ST1100 and ST1300. All great in some ways. VFR is my main bike, and I have a GIVI 3 pc rack, so I can go from no luggage to 150 liters if I want. Does get a bit hot sitting with the side radiators. The 1100 is quicker to turn with the 160 rear. Still heavy, but soo smooth and faster than you think. No heat issues. The 1300 wind protection is miles better than the rest. Still does the other things well. Only other point of reference I have is an 1150GS. Fueling was crap and it was pretty tall, but felt lighter than the 1100 and turned almost as well.

12. Triple X

Probably would help but I love having an actual cruise control on bikes I spend a lot of time on per sitting.
    I'm really spoiled by the cruise control on my Harley.
    At least the Multi has heated grips.

13. Triple X

14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I have the Kaoko, expensive but quality.

Triple X likes this.
  15. Triple X

I'll look that up

16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've ridden the Tracer GT a couple times at Yamaha Demo rides, and am itching to buy one. Unless I buy a 700 Tenere first...

gapman789 likes this.
  17. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

You really need to ride one. The ST1300 is the worst one of the bunch for me as far as wind noise/wind management goes. To me, it's a complete deal breaker, it's that bad. Too bad as I love the rest of the bike and it fits me well.

18. Jon Wilkens

I do run a GPS...but it's not telling me where to go...just showing me where I'm at. I'm still the navigator and just ride where I feel like.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

of course... I was curious. I would have assumed most folks would use a phone but a standalong GPS seems to be an overwhelming favorite amongst touring riders.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. Jon Wilkens

I keep my phone on my body for safety reasons...I ride alone most of the time and if me and the bike ever get separated...I want my phone with me. While going though unfamiliar cities or areas...it's nice to be able to use on the fly to find your way.