1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I recently had a pretty serious shoulder operation, and I’m in my mid 50s. I hate to say it, but I’m looking at sport touring bikes. I have a pristine RC51 I’ll never get rid of, but now I want something a little easier to rack up a few miles. Main contenders are...
    ST1300
    FJR1300
    VFR800
    VFR1200
    BMW
    Blackbird

I’m looking to spend around $6000-$8000 maybe more if something really nice pops up.
    Any opinions on what bike or year might not be as good. What’s the beeb’s opinion?

2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

As good as they all are, the big ones are just too big. VFR800 all day, and even that is a bit too heavy.

3. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Concourse 1400
    Multistrada
    Just adding to your list. I don't own one but me would like one

Razr likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Of those, only 3 are really ST bikes and I'd go with the FJR. Beemers are functionally better but not reliable. You should also consider an ADV bike, there's good reasons why MSTA rallies are now overrun with them.

Razr likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, well...in the last 5 years I've owned an FJR, FZ1 rigged for sport touring, a Bandit and a BMW 1100RT.

Quick comments;

Bandit... a pig of a bike but probably the best pure engine out of the bunch. Couldn't get rid of it quick enough.

FZ1 ST...a sweet machine with a screamer of an engine. I liked this a lot but wanted something bigger so I sold it to my brother. Still a great bike.

FJR1300...I really liked this bike too but after a while it was just too big. But damn you could rail it pretty damn good for a fat girl. Took it to
    the Dragon last summer and she did quite well.

BMW RT...and gentleman's cruising machine. Does everything well without too much hype. It was OK but not for me.

Current machine...BMW GSA. I like it better for sport touring than any of the above motorcycles. It's a giant supermotard. If you don't want it that big, get the GS. Yes, these are
    advertised as adventure bikes but they are sport touring bikes too as far as I'm concerned.

This was my FZ1 with the full luggage package

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Razr likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I will add....occasional I will bring the wife, so a comfy rear seat and backrest might be needed.

7. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

FZ1

beac83 and Razr like this.
  8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I owned:
    FJR1300 - Didn't like at all. Sold after a few months of commute
    VFR800 - Rode to west coast and back, and a bunch of miles commute. No better then FZ1's 1st or 2nd gen that I replaced it with. Would not buy another one because FZ1 is just better in every way.

I would really consider:
    Newer C14, one of my fav bikes for long miles. Handles really really good.
    Tiger 800 - one of the best all around bikes that I owned

my .02

Razr likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Pour some Tussin on that shoulder and buy a panigale.

Inst Tech, Laz, turbulence and 3 others like this.
  10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Currently own an FJR and seriously considering a Tracer GT.

11. Tristan

Think long and hard about this actually happening...lest you end up riding 100% solo on a pig of a bike. Also consider that after something like an FJR the wife will not be happy with anything less comfy. I liked my FJR and may have another some day, but like many I sold it because it was just too unwieldy on anything short of a 300 mile ride. You can find an FJ09 in your budget.

Once a Wanker.., ducnut and Razr like this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why isn’t a Concourse on that list?

Razr likes this.
  13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'll throw in a vote for a zx14r- probably not enough comfort bone stock but the aftermarket world is vast as far as creature comforts go and you will love twisting the throttle with a shit ton of power obviously but also butter smooth.

Down side- they ain't the prettiest bikes out there.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would consider a newer Connie.. heard good things about them.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That probably a contender, I like the Blackbirds a lot also, just don’t think the wife would like a Hyper-Sonic sport tourer!

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The second gen of the C14 is great. I believe they fixed some heat issues and maybe added cruise? I've almost bought one on a couple of occasions.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's no downside about it. They look like a Testarossa got drunk and hooked up with a hippopotamus.

turbulence likes this.
  18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Is that your wife in your avatar?

19. Tristan

My GSXS1K is remarkably comfy (you'd never guess looking at the seat), much less so for a passenger though. It's a lot of bike for the blowout prices (within your budget) if you don't mind the lack of fairings.

20. Tristan

Shit, for $8K you can buy an FJR and a VFR