1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

GS, search over.

Bruce likes this.
  2. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I have an 08 concours 14 with tall windscreen, full muzzy, Corbin saddle,throttlemeister,tankbag,GPS. Will send you some pics when I get to my computer. has around 17k miles asking $5000.

3. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

so if someone wanted to buy a multi. what years would be the ones to have and the ones to stay away from?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any water cooled will be good. The older air cooled are just fugly.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

But they're surprisingly good.

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A buddy who commutes on his 6th Gen with cans and a PCV is routinely in the 40’s. I’m roughly the same on my 5th Gen with a can and PCV. Obviously, a lot has to do with the right wrist.

The VFR12 definitely does worse. The 2012+ models have fueling updates and .2gal more fuel capacity. A proper 6gal tank would’ve helped a lot. But, with that bike being so heavy already, I’m guessing tank size may have been something sent to the chopping block. The powertrain is a proper chunk of lead, for sure.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure they're great, that's what the Hyper was based on, but cannot get over that South Park Canadian fairing :D

MachineR1 and Phl218 like this.
  8. cha0s#242

The designer (Terblanche) was French, not Canadian ;)

jrsamples and ducnut like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His fairing looks like how South Park portrays Canadians...

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Multi just doesn't have it's mouth open :D

StaccatoFan, cav115, Adam.B and 2 others like this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Haha...

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Now, that’s funny!

13. cha0s#242

lol
    Put a set of nice set of Termis on it and it will fart just like T&P :D

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I took a 08 ZX14, installed a LSL bar kit on it, a bit taller windscreen, Sgt seat, lower pegs, SW-Motech rear rack with various rear racks/box. Talk about a seriously fast, comfy sport tourer!! Smooooooooooooth too.

This was a much better set up than the C14 I had a few years later.

TurboBlew, ducnut and black knight like this.
  15. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Every time I ride the latest and greatest (K1600GT etc) I’m blown away by how good they are. Then I ride an old VFR800 or Multistrada 1000/1100 and am convinced older, simpler, lighter is the way to go, especially given the price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducnut, Razr and Jon Wilkens like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Are those bikes THAT different? I just assumed the C14 was similar componentry.

Razr likes this.
  17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

It's amazing how diverse motorcycles have become these days. Even a "sport touring" bike can be diverse in itself depending on what your goals are with it!

Razr likes this.
  18. :crackup:

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I missed this thread earlier.

I’ll pile on with the ADV love. Tiger 8 or 12, Super 10, AT, GS their all great at long multi day rides.
    But to stick with you’re faired ST requirement, Triumph Trophy SE 2015 or so is the answer you are looking for.

Razr likes this.
  20. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I own a well sorted 5th gen VFR with a full bag setup. I've had zero issues with it whatsoever in over 10 years of ownership. Got a VFRNess to sort out the electrical issues and other than that just keep up with maintenance. The cooling system does have some o-rings that need to be replaced but other than that they're bulletproof and can be had for $3k all day. New bodywork is non-existent for them at this point so it's a write-off if anything happens.

I've spent a good bit of time on Multistradas and like them a lot but they're very tall and kindof unwieldy in a parking lot. Like someone else said, there's probably a V4 version coming soon and I'd definitely wait for that at this point. Buy a VFR to hold you over until then. :)

I've also ridden a BMW SX1000R and really like it. Tough to beat for the money if you want something newer. Gobs of power but the inline 4 sounds kinda boring next to a twin or a v4.

ducnut and Razr like this.