1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My friend was a Honda guy so he had the St1300, my wife was riding the FJR 1300 at the same time....the FJR was hands down superior. Both were a bit piggy though. I was riding a 30 year old FJ1100 and could easily out do both of them. Luggage on the other hand was problematic.

2. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Worked on a rode a CBR1100xx Blackbird at work a few weeks back.
    For my cash bugget that's the bike. Searching for a 99 and up now. Black.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  3. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Added an R1250RT alongside the XR. The RT with Werks Quiet Ride screen is very enjoyable for multi-day rides exploring Colorado. Certainly less exciting than the XR but I’m finding the relaxed pace to be a nice change for some rides. She is heavy so I feel that weight a lot compared to XR or other street bikes. Still, it is satisfying to hustle.

4. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have an RT without the screen you mentioned and I like what if offers. I went from a HD Electra Glide so it is light in comparison, has a 6 gallon tank, great wind/weather protection, heated grips & seat, navigation, electronic cruise, etc. Well setup to put some miles on with all of the goodies. Has a little sporty side, handles well, good torque with the opposed twin. Worth a look!

5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I love my FJR!

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I’ll be posting my 10’ S touring in the classifieds here shortly once I have the 15k Desmo service done. Super clean with a bunch of extras but no need for two of these with my GT.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's an awesome bike. I loved the one I tried. That thind is like a magic carpet. Super smooth and fast as hell.

ducnut and Scott S. like this.
  8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I kinda wish Kawi would come out with an updated ZZR 1200 sort of thing. Plenty of power, good element protection, nice to look at, not too big, comfortable for two if necessary, goes like stink. The Connie 14 and the rest of it's ilk are just too damn big, and quite frankly most of the Adv. bikes i'm waaay up on my tiptoes with. Plus, they're ugly as hell. Sorry, if I don't want to look at it in my garage, I don't want it.. Honestly the last bike of the ZZR type I can think of was the Sprint ST, and I really sprint.jpg liked my 06, but I got a bad one which was a nightmare to own... :(

ducnut likes this.
  9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

My H2 SX SE has stepped into the role my '08 Sprint ST did, quite well. With less suspension work needed.

10. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Genuine question, not smartassery: what is the expected service life of the seals on the H2's supercharger?

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming your asking about the impeller shaft seals? There are no replaceable individual seals listed on the parts fishe in the supercharger(what I would call the impeller housing), or supercharger housing as a whole. There are 2 bearings listed around the impeller drive shaft, but they seem to support it in the housing side where the chain drive, drives that shaft. The maintenance schedule says to check the impeller axial play at, essentially, recommended oil change intervals. There's also mention of an oil screen replacement at 24,000 km. It's behind a plug on the impeller housing facing towards the front of the bike. Looks like any oil lines involved are all cast in the casings. I don't see anything external. According to the service manual, there is an oil feed to the planetary gear setup, and along the impeller shaft within the housing. I've never really dug into this, so this is all I'm gathering from the service manual, the online parts fishe, and some Googlefu. Looks like if you have a problem in the supercharger, that isn't in the chain drive case, Kawasaki is saying plan on buying a whole new supercharger.

Actual expected service life of the H2 supercharger hasn't really been a topic I've read, yet. We've got 1 or 2 H2 SX riders who've already put over 45k miles on theirs. And a few more over 30k miles. No mention of supercharger issues. So far, so good.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Just popped up on the toob. I like this guy's reviews. Better than the usual press launch garbage.

ducnut and gixxerboy55 like this.
  13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah Adam knows his stuff, and a honest review.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

A late night cross-Nevada recon bird

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm always impressed he remembers everything and reels it off in one take while riding.

I wonder if he has an earpiece maybe?

16. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

What is this? Absolutely wicked looking!

17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

USracer900 likes this.
  18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

3DF434B8-96FF-4D1D-BBED-16CFF9BD39B7.jpeg F816AB83-DC92-4B96-8AAA-71D04283D2DC.jpeg
    30105CBA-5AB7-4CEA-90C9-511CA5695635.jpeg

Well I am back on a sport tourer bike as of yesterday. Ugly ass orange signal lights gotta go just like I did on the T7. Yamaha please stop putting these ugly ass things on motorcycles.

2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. All the bells and whistles on this one and that fine triple engine. It has 1 mile on it.

SuddenBraking, ducnut and masshole like this.
  19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new ride. Anxious to hear your thoughts on it.

roy826ex and gapman789 like this.
  20. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I've gotta say the whole 'adventure tourer' segment has made 'sport touring' obsolete in my mind. Something like a MTS1200, KTM1290 or similar on good road tires is a weapon and super comfy.

ducnut likes this.