1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced that, but 3 or 4 times in about 10 years of owning my '08 model I did get the sensation of the back of both calves cooking in some bad traffic. Normal use, it wasn't that bad for me. Maybe it was the leathers and gore-tex boots insulating me, dunno.

I would have suggested the Sprint ST in this discussion, but honestly, they're getting long in the tooth. And parts are going to start drying up soon. I can't bring myself to get rid of mine, though. 78k miles on a, now, over 10 year old bike means I'd have to give it away. So, we're stuck with each other. Side note, I always hated the OEM bags. Had to make a set of mounts to use some Givi V35s, and that was perfect!

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I have been told by a few former Vtec VFR owners that service's cost played a significant part of them getting rid of theirs. To be fair, these were early years, and the Vtec "kick" was also a contributing factor. Since Honda has worked on smoothing out the transfer on later model years, that last bit is less a concern.
    I agree with you there. Those VFRs are more than adequate to do hyperlegal speeds, very well. They only seem "slow" when looking at acceleration and speed numbers on paper.

What we haven't talked about is rectifier/regulator issues on VFRs :)

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

valid point.

he just has the wrong friends.

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

In all my time on the VFR forums, I think I've heard of two or three people who have done them, and they were all still perfect at 50k miles. So if people are ditching them because of valve checks, you should take advantage of their idiocracy and get a killer deal.

My 96 had a rectifier go. Replaced it with a Suzuki one that had cooling fins. Only issue.

The 6th gens are fine. Dad has a RWB. It's plenty for the street. I have a 3 pc GIVI luggage rack for my 98, so I can load up on bags for a trip or leave them off for some fun riding. Each generation is different enough, but they are all still ~500lb 100HP machines that sound miles better than I4s.

Guy took a 6th gen VFR and made it into a track bike. Pretty sure he was turning faster times on it than his GSXR600 IIRC.

The infamous shot from mr Sebspeed Customs
    [​IMG]

AJ, Razr and scottn like this.
  5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

That’s a car, this is a Slingshot:

3C9338F0-BD19-463C-A975-7918F2448855.jpeg

CRA_Fizzer, AJ, Razr and 1 other person like this.
  8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If they were vfr1200's they would be even more amazing. The 800's, not as much.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did they ever do anything about the VFR’s range? I had one and wish I’d never sold it, but one of the things I remember was pretty lame mpg and range for a touring bike.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Another vote for the Tracer GT. It's got all the good stuff and will give a Multi a run for it's money in the twisties.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I was wanted an FJR for long haul cruising, ended up with an 89 Slingshot 1100 :)

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the 800 for the same price

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Meh. New OEM stator, Roadstercycle SH847 Kit, voltmeter, and thoroughly going through all the bike’s connectors will make it virtually bulletproof. Those with issues are owners who choose to stick their heads in the sand and ignore advice or simply do no maintenance.

Those ads are legit. Been a few buy them and post up on forums/pages. What’s nuts is sellers posting up used 8th Gens wanting more than new ones. Sucks the market bottom fell out, but, that’s the way it is.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My last VFR was a 2000 model and it would get over 40 mpg on average, with a 5 gallon tank that’s not bad for a sport tourer.

ducnut likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Those were before the mpg issues

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the VFR12?

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, the 800 with the vtec (2002+ wasn't it?) had a lot of complaints about mileage. If I remember correctly, mine hovered around 30mpg. The 1200 also got crappy mileage/range. I remember that being specifically mentioned in one of the first reviews about it - they were expecting Honda to fix that complaint about the 800 but they didn't.

19. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

My commute is 150 miles daily and when I had my '04 VFR, it could get about 48 mpg. Granted that was strict slab droning at 72-75 mph. Had Scorpion slipons and a PCiii.
    Current '02 FZ1 gets 49-51 mpg consistently, again riding like a grandpaw. Not difficult to get 250-265 on a tank with the reserve light on. HoleShot hi-mount slipon and ye olde jet kit.
    On either of the previous bikes, mpg obviously dropped quite a bit when in the mountains and such.
    Plan is to sell the FZ1 and moving the a FJR13.

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Lots of RR issues out there on earlier VFR's, easy to rectify with a bit of research.
    The 1200 has a tiny tank for a "sport tourer", but supposedly is more efficient than most that size. Under 200 miles/ tank is what Ive heard. Honestly I dont ride much more than that before needing a break, but some would like more .
    I could get 300 miles on a tank on my 5th gen if I taker easy, but that never happens because the sound is so sweet and end up getting around 250 on ~5 gallons.