1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't see the cost of ownership being higher with the diesel. Longer maintenance intervals and they're not that much more to work on hourly than a dealership from what I've seen.

ducnut likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Owning multiple diesel and gas vehicles in my work fleet I would have to disagree. My gas trucks usually get 200-250k without anything other than basic maintenance and replacement parts and sometimes o2 sensors? I do have an older gas box van that is having transmission issues that the transmission shop can't figure out and it is an older Chevy 96 box van 4LE80 maybe? Have an 05 Isuzu diesel box truck that has had head issues at least twice. GMC Sierra pickup that has needed diesel injectors when I bought it used and now needs them again. Mostly highway and pulling miles and only got about 80-100k out of these injectors....this is the known bad engine 02 version and my replacement injectors were remanufactured....supposedly just as good as new but who knows.

My diesels require more expensive fuel filter changes, more expensive diesel fuel, more oil per change and many of them have required at least some injectors and a couple needed turbos. With the new Ford Ecoboost, those will probably need turbos too after hitting 150-200K.

The comment about $100 an hour labor at the diesel place, at least out here, the car places are just as expensive and I believe are over $125 now quite often.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, all of my diesels are more expensive for the basic maintenance yeah but went 2-3 time longer between needing those things. Granted, never had to do any major stuff and with only 90-95k on the rv I doubt I'll ever have to with it. On that I even wind up changing the oil and such on time more than miles.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Just the cost of turbo and an injection pump would be the cost of a remanufactured gas engine. We haven't talked injectors,or head gaskets that are common on diesels. Then do we even know if they ran the right coolant or checked sca levels? Gassers dont even know what any of that is besides injectors,and when was the last time you seen a fuel injection engine drop an injector? Not as common.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As I mentioned before, go to that dealer and drive that pusher against a similar gasser to what you’ve been looking at. That’ll give you a lot more food for your thoughts.

I’m fairly certain, the pusher can be turned for roughly the same money as it can be bought for, whereas the gasser will continue to decline in value.

Yes. Some aspects of the pusher “might” cost more. However, it’s about the same argument as buying an F-350 to pull a 24’ trailer versus buying an F-150 to do the same, except your intitial motorhome purchases are roughly the same. The heavier-duty, diesel platform contributes toward a better user experience, in both scenarios.

Like I say, go drive the two with your wife, before getting dead-set on what you’re seeing on paper and the doomsday thoughts. It’ll be worth it.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

I'm 98% certain on a RV I would get the diesel. I had a Cat diesel on the Super C I had, and if I was looking at pushers I'm pretty sure one of those 10 year old ones in the 40-70 range would be what I would want. IMO, they will drive a bunch nicer than a loud front engine gas vehicle. Plus you already know how to work on diesels, so even if you don't do the work, they won't be able to pull the wool over your eyes.

assjuice cyrus and ducnut like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many miles on a real diesel before those things happen though? Most motorhomes will never break 100k much less hit 500k. Hell, I'm pretty sure our engine isn't truly broken in yet :D

ducnut likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The new commercial stuff is electronically de-rated, the first 50K. I’m here to tell you, they won’t pull shit until then.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yuck. Glad ours is an 08. No DEF and no restrictions.

ducnut likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Wow, that sucks!!!

11. Boman Forklift

@assjuice cyrus I couldn't sleep this morning and saw a 2017 RV for sale out here with only 3900 miles asking 75k. Not sure if it was a good deal, but went to forward it to you and..........couldn't find assjuice cyrus in facebook. Then I tried for a minute to remember your real name and decided f....it, if he can't use his real name on here he will forever be known as Mr. Assjuice to me.

I know we are friends on facebook, but I'm not looking through 100's of names till the light bulb lights up in my head.:D

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. assjuice cyrus

HAHAHA,

I just commented on your post yesterday.:crackup:

13. assjuice cyrus

You willing to deliver right?

14. Boman Forklift

How much you pay me?

15. assjuice cyrus

TREE FIDDY.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hell For tree fiddy and gas I’ll drive it out.
    I do have to find a way home after a show in Pasadena next month.

17. assjuice cyrus

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Looks clean. Master bed can be used with the slide in. I’d double-check the book value on it, as their price seems optimistic.

19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

No negatives jump out at me on that one. Low mileage for the price.

Something small, but I like the setup of the plumbing on that, although it is probably common on the pushers. Compartment opens up all of the way and everything is right there without having to perform any gymnastics to dump the tank.

ducnut likes this.
  20. assjuice cyrus