1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 GP Bikes

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cgordon3, Oct 16, 2005.

1. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

That's where I'd place my bet!

I got a chance to ride a TZ750 a couple of years ago, and it was quite the experience too!

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

The NSR500 would go by the diesel R1 like it was chained to a tree :up:

3. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

thats a farily good description of events last time i took it out on the track! its FAST in a way you just cant fathom till you pass things in places you didnt think you could at speeds you didnt think possible!

if you have ever been to jennings imagine commin onto the front straight (turn 14) and havin problems keeping the front wheel on the ground, i meen real problems right up the point you brake for turn one!

its fakkin awsome :up:

4. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my ride on the beast! It was a '74 model with twin rear shocks and upgraded RD forks. ;) It shook and vibrated, and made lots of weird sounds, but once it was above 6000 everything smoothed out and time kind of blurred. It got smooth because the front tire was off the ground all the way up through 4th gear, and time blurred because it was kind of fast.:cool:

5. slowridin

slowridin Member

giant weedwacker, thats a good one

6. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

7. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

Kenny never used those carbs!

8. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

thread killer :Poke:

9. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

I could of sworn he had (Kenny) EFI :D

10. Yamaha Fan

No 2-stroke ever used EFI to my knowledge in the 500gp ranks.. and Kenny/Yamaha did use Kehins....

11. RGV 500

Honda had injected 500s back in the 90's

In fact, the first 500cc GP bike to do 200 mph into the first chicane at Hockenheim was Shinichi Itoh on the injected NSR500

They played with it for 2 or 3 years, but never seemed to have it totally 'sorted'

12. RGV 500

13. 999

999 Well-Known Member

What a great thread. :up:

Now, for follow up...

1- How are you doing, Rocky?
    2- Why doesn't someone make a 2 stroke 500 twin trackbike for sale?

Couldn't you get the Chinese to copy an NSR500V motor and fit it into used RS or TZ rollers? Or just copy the Honda twin bottom end and adapt MX top ends?

Or... could a 250 bottom end be made to work with bored and stroked 350cc or 400cc displacement, like the first Aprilia 400s?

Or something? :D

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

999, I'm not Rocky but if you WANT a 500cc two stroke something tells me you just might be able to get one soon. How much you have in your checking account? lol!

15. Yamaha Fan

They are around... youcan see this one at SE Wera Vintage rounds

[​IMG]

And you can build a 600cc Yamaha based triple that will push your eyeballs back in your head for a pretty reasonable price.....

16. gpcustoms

gpcustoms Valves are for toilets

:beer: For those of us with limited funds there is always creative engineering:confused:
    There are plenty of older two stroke machines out there if you have some scratch. Three cylinder Hondas, older Yamaha 500(G)s and the Suzuki RGB series:up: I have not talked with Rocky in a spell but he had a newer Yamaha, Mike Sherman has at last count 3 RGBs,1TZ700,1TZ750 and one TZ500. Luc in Ca has my old Honda, a RGB and if he completed the deal may now have a very clean 3cylinder 500 Honda:clap:
    I think as evident here that there is still a growing interest in older or newer Two Stroke GP machinery...Perhaps because those of us old enough to remember the hay day of domination have some spendable funds to search them out.....And they are out there to be had in various states of condition:D Guys like Dick with his Yamaha 500 make me proud to see them still on the track:up: The current generation could care less for the most part:moon:
    Will join ya next year after I spend mass funds on the current fleet:clap:
    Mark
    www.gpcustoms.com

17. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Hey isn't Rocky's ROC 500 legal for WERA Vintage next year? 15 years old bike.

18. dirttracker2000

dirttracker2000 New Member

newmake 500cc tvin

any news about ol nsr 2-stroke 500cc replica engines, and rollers?

19. dirttracker2000

dirttracker2000 New Member

power calculations

well boys, i know i dont have to convince you with the fact that 2 strokes are superior to 4 strokes!..however some 4 strokes fans are very hard to educate!..
    -hopefully some 4 stroker fans will reed this!..
    now...2-strokes machines are superior becouse the weight /hp ratio , however i know there is a lack of endurance in this typ of engines-but ho caress its racing!-!..therefor a nsr 500V2 (or similar) bike will always be competitive!
    109kg-+140hp..pretty god for an ol bike !hp/kg.................=1.28HP/KG
    new SBK ex. 1000cc 4 stroker 182hp weight dry 162kg-hp/kg=1.12hp/kg
    THERE YA GO..A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE , IN FAVOR FOR THE OL NSR 500V2
    WELL, WELL, in accleration the Superbike is clearly smoked!, how about braking?: same calculation: less weight -later braking n higher cornerspeed!..-

time to start building new 2 strokers!?-right boys?!

n about EPA regulations, fuck that, or put an extra sparkplugg in each cylinder , then that problem is solved!-ex kawasaki/rotax did have tvin sparkplugg heads in the 70-ties!..n in the 80:ies alfa romeo produced a very clean/lean burning bigcar ..the 164 Twinspark with a 2L engine with twinspark tecnology..ya dont have to invent the wheel again!..

20. wera #3

wera #3 Well-Known Member

anybody ever do any porting on 88-89 250 cylinders?