1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 GP Bikes

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cgordon3, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Garrett's 125 did 143mph on Friday at TWS when we had a tailwind. If you are in the market for a 125 Aprilia, I would only consider a 1999 or later bike. If you can afford it, a 2001+ would be better still. A 2001 bike will run you $20-25,000 used. There are bikes available if you wanted one.

Thanks,

Rocky Stargel

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A screamer 500? Momma, can I have a cookie and some fresh Michelin "stick and spit" slicks to spool onto the rims and about 15 laps on it?

3. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

Only 15?

It would take one of three events to get me off that thing.

(run out of gas, run out of clean underwear, or...um...you know. that. :D )

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I figured it'd pitch me over by about the fourth lap.

The other 11 would be in the ambulance doing laps with Rocky chasing it with a torque wrench and the idea to kill me.

5. TwoCycler

If I hit you with my torque wrench I would then have to send it back to Snap On to be recalibrated. No, I think a half inch breaker bar would be better! Man, you guys are inspiring me to put that thing back together. Gotta rebuild the superbike first...four strokes have too many parts.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

6. 12pointRacing

Tssk Tssk Rocky. You and I both know valves are for toilets. If it can't be rebuilt between practice and qualifying, it isn't a racebike. :D

(Although, I guess it is a bit harder to do 4 cylinders instead of simply 2! But I bet it still can be done...)

Anyways, I agree - I really think that bike should be put back together.

Isn't there a customer RS500 twin floating around in Texas or somewhere too? (speaking of 500s...)

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I heard of an RS500 triple floating around down there that's supposed to come onto the market. But that was about 9 months ago and never heard another word.

There's actually a couple of the twin RS floating around the US.

But why go V twin if you can go V4 (unless it's an Aprillia RSv500)? :D

8. TwoCycler

Zach Lee in Texas has an NSR500V...nice fellow too!

A friend and myself have been kicking around building a 500 twin. Anybody interested in buying one? I wouldnt be cheap, but it would be good. I worked with him building a 250 twin that makes 102hp at the wheels. They build everything in house except for the carbs and ignition. Good stuff.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

9. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

A 500 twin ought to be a lot of fun to ride! I imagine it would be a terror on a small track though! Let us know how it turns out!

10. 12pointRacing

What engine is used as the basis?

Don't even tell me you are getting custom cases cast...?
    :clap:

I would kill for a real 500 to chase something like F1 or some other real National "run whatcha brung" series.

(And along with the bike I need a real mechanic and a real sponsor. :) )

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rocky, right this momment I couldn't afford the Snap On torque wrench.

But if I could, I would.

12. TwoCycler

Ok Dave, I wont tell you we cast our own cases. We dont. We cast cylinders and machine the cases out of billet. Happy now?

The 250 engine is a superkart engine that is an evolution of a 256 Rotax and an Aprilia RSV250 engine (see where I came in). You can read about it here...http://www.brceng.com/250fe.html

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

13. 12pointRacing

He races 250s I think too. Have not seen too many results for his 500, so I don't think he rides/races that thing too much. I can't imagine getting parts for any 500 is all that easy.

All of the 500 owers in the US should start a "lease 5 laps on a 500" program for us slobs to sign up for. If you could keep the thing running for a weekend, you could finance your engine rebuilds that way! :)

14. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

I know of two other NSR500Vs in the states. I doubt you could finance rebuilds off of us hacks, IIRC the crank for one of those is north of 4 grand :wow: Those things are very cool, I weighed the tank after I painted it. With foam, cap, paint and decals only weighed 1200 grams. Somewhere around 2.4 pounds. I was afraid it might blow off of the workbench.

Merle

15. 12pointRacing

Wow - that is one beautiful smoker.

[​IMG]

So, where is the 500, and where are the prototype chassiss?? :beer:

16. 12pointRacing

...and after staring at that motor, it looks like your Priller method of running two independent motors in one set of cases (two cranks) - but it also looks like the motors are basically identical (and run the same direction), but one is mounted backwards so that the flywheels can mate and spin the same direction?

(yes? If so - thats kinda clever instead of having to run one motor backwards and have a different ignition system for each motor. Does the ECU fire each one at the same time? eg: big bang?)

17. fatallightning

fatallightning ghost of the touge

18000 for the complete 250 , ouch. i wonder how much the 500 is going to be :x

18. TwoCycler

Yep, like the Aprilia.

Dont know a price yet on the 500 engine, but it would be more then the BRC 250 and much less than Honda charged for the bare NSR500V engine ($60,000)...and better too <g>.

Dave, why dont you 'loan' me those R6 Marchesini's you have laying around...I have a use for them next year <g>.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

19. 12pointRacing

Done!

:beer:

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$15,500 US dollars for the motor. . .

Man, it sure is slick looking. How much work would it need to be set up for motorcycles? ;)

then there's the chassis, radiator, gear box set up, spares. . . :D