1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 GP Bikes

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cgordon3, Oct 16, 2005.

1. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I think the '93 RGV wasa an awesome machine, of course it helped that Schwantz was on it.

What was your favorite bike, and why?

P.S.- I also think the 94 Cagiva is one of the sexiest 500's ever built, too bad it was just tooooo slow.

2. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

:beer: On that Cagiva. I was a Rainey guy so I really dug the YZRs of the early 90s but that 93 RGV was sure fun to watch. I also kinda miss the old Rothman's paint scheme too.

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Last year Yamaha YZR500. Because it was the best Yamaha 2-stroke GP bike ever made.

4. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

Wayne's 91 YZR500. and and my replica YZR500 of Wayne's 91.

5. cgordon3

I sence a Yamaha theme here.

The Rothmans scheme was cool. I think one of the coolest schemes had to be..... well I guess I like the telefonica Suzuki stuff from 2000. It is pretty cool.

Of course I like the Repsol stuff now.....GO NICKY!!!

6. Slaughter

Slaughter Member

Yamaha huh? OK then...

AMA F-1 before the Yamaha TZ-domination killed them off - Team Hansen - Nixon, Wilvert, Smart, Baumann, DuHamel.

Wonder where 2-smokes would be today if they were still allowed in AMA... alas, I just fondly remember blue smoke...

Wilvert at 1973 Daytona:

[​IMG]

Wilvert at Sandia - 2003:
    [​IMG]

7. cgordon3

Cool pics.

My first sportbike was a ZX-7R. I have love Kawasaki ever since, and with the ZX-10 they have built a bike I can buy again.

8. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

My first street bike was a 71 (best year) kawi 500 triple with tons of motor work including 750 carbs and elec. ignition, denco stainless steel pipes, reshaped heads with more fins, raised port timing, no oil pump, ect. In 1980 it was the king on the local streets and would leave a 79 CBX sitting unless you let him chase you down on a highway. It is sad to see the end of the modern area 2-strokes come to a end. The USA GP,s in 90 and 91 were the best two races I ever attend . while the big moto GP bikes are O.K. the 500,s were the real deal. The final death nail is the pending end to 250 GP bikes. ............... P.S. very cool pics. once my 91 YZR 500 is in paint I will post a pic.

9. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

A real YZR??

Post photos NOW! :)

10. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

It is a 96 TZ 250 frame which is the closes to the 91 500 and has a CR500 motor because a can't get the real motor and I do have the complete body from a real 91 YZR 500 which is in brand new condition ( ouch, it cost way too much) but it sure is cool. I also have factory 3 scale view drawings to produce the paint exact. the pipe will split to two cans plus two dumbies out the tail. So it is a YZR replica as best funds will allow me.

Attached Files:

11. MAGIFESQ

MAGIFESQ Well-Known Member

Ultimate 2 stroke

Has to be a TZ 750, I had one lined up to buy a couple years ago till some cross country player hater stirred up the mix.

12. MAGIFESQ

MAGIFESQ Well-Known Member

RZ 500

I had between 4 and 6 RZ 500 street bikes, also lots of fun

13. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

I got to do a few laps on a TZ750 last year, and it was quite exciting! 1974 frame and suspension coupled with 120+ hp can be that way!

14. the "TRAIN" Rech

the "TRAIN" Rech Well-Known Member

I've always been partial to the Gamma.....faster to 100 then my R1 and will still out handle it......I wish that I never sold it.

15. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

I have a '93 YZR500, I just have to put it all back together again. I just need more time...more time...more time...sigh.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

16. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Would you like some help?

17. TwoCycler

ABSOLUTELY! :clap:

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

18. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Okay, crate it all up, throw it on a plane, and I'll send it back, all broken in and thoroughly tested!

It sure would be nice to have a chance to work on it. Can you get any parts for it?

19. TwoCycler

Nope, all work must be done at my place in Georgia. You will get room and board and I will make you southern food!

There are parts out there, but you have to know where to look. Not cheap...:wow:

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

20. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind offer, but I have several projects of my own going right now. I'll make it down to test that southern cooking someday.

I'm sure there are some consumables out there to be had, but even those have to pretty spendy.

How are those little Aprilias going to do next year? I had considered buying an RS 250 cup bike to race locally, but wound up on a Honda 125 instead. How do Aprilia 125s run on a tight track anyway?