1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500 GP Bikes

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cgordon3, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

The Aprilia 125 is the best 125 that the 'average' guy with some extra money can buy. They do better on a tight track or long track than a Yamaha or Honda. Specifically, they are better on a tight track because they have a powervalve and better chassis than a Honda. We saw an honest 229km/h out of Garrett Carter's at Texas World this year...143mph...only 3mph off the best 125 WGP speed this year. Good bikes...

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

2. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

I'm an "average guy", but what kind of money are you talking about? Can these bikes be had new or used? How would somebody go about getting one anyway? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information readily available on them. Our "track" is an abandoned military airstrip, and has lots of cracks, so good suspension is a must. We also have 34 turns in 3.2 miles, so a power valve might be an advantage. I can pull harder out of the turns than my buddy on his TZ though, maybe he hasn't got his tuned quite right...

Thanks for the ideas!

3. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

Factory YZR 500's were lease return only unlike a ROC or Harris, How did you get a 93 YZR?

4. TwoCycler

A workable used Aprilia 125 will run $15-25,000. Not cheap, but when you figure that they come with things like data acq, quality wheels, brakes, suspension, etc., then it begins to make more sense. A new one is for WGP only and is about $70-80,000 now. Very high quality bikes.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

5. TwoCycler

Mine is a 93 ROC chassis (more adjustable than the Harris) with a YZR500 engine. Essentially the same bike that Wayne Rainey last rode. His had KR cylinders and some other differences. I bought mine in Italy from the orginal owner that bought it from Serge Rosset.

Thanks,

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

6. the "TRAIN" Rech

the "TRAIN" Rech Well-Known Member

I'd love to see pics. of that.....even before you get it back together.

7. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

Believe me, you don't want to see photos of the bike.

You will not sleep at night.

You will be in the garage on whatever 2 wheel thing you own pretending it is a YZR.

You will be haunted by the idea that you can't keep the front wheel on the ground because of the power AND it can still have the bikeweigh under 300 lbs!

( Hi Rocky! )

8. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

You are right , but some of use must pretend! Anyway althought my 500 does not have the top speed of a YZR 500 , it still is a 500 and a 2-stroke and at 255lbs she is a torqe monster and will kill a R1 from o to 100mph while trying to keep the front down. For me I would kill for a ROC but the banks says NO. By the way twocycler is your motor Big Bang? Also what will be the paint scheme?

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Rocky,
    If you need a hand putting that bike together give me a shout, I am no expert but am good with a torque wrench and a manual :D

Maybe you can give me a few tuning tips for my tz

Alex

10. 12pointRacing

Rocky,

If you ever need help turning incredibly slow lap times on that bike, I am no expert but I am good with a torque wrench and will do my best to tighten the nut behind the bars and give it a go!

:clap:

11. TwoCycler

Thanks for the love, guys. The engine is a screamer and not a big bang. It could be converted to a big bang, but that firing order was very hard on the engine and prone to crack the crankcases. Besides, the screamer sounds better!

Looks like I will be rebuilding R1 engines for awhile...

Here is a teaser...
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

12. the "TRAIN" Rech

:Poke: that's not nice. Only one pic.....can't wait to see the whole thing and more of them. GP bikes are just as cool to look at naked as they are with their skins on, so it won't offend me if you post more.

Look at those pipes.

13. 12pointRacing

So, I remember clearly what my TZ125 sounded like.

And I still dream about my TZ250s.

And I remember how "strange" the Priller RSVs sounded in comparison to our regular GP bikes.

But I have NO idea what a 500 really sounds like up close. If/When it gets fired up Rocky, you have GOT to make an MP3 for the rest of us crazy people out here...:)

14. the "TRAIN" Rech

I think a field trip to Georgia would be better......I'd drive 16 hours to hear and see that monster up close.

15. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

Dude, I'm in California and I'm kicking around the idea of a roady!!

:clap: to the YZR

16. 12pointRacing

I think Rocky needs to have a "Drool over the YZR" day. :)

17. the "TRAIN" Rech

:beer: I'm with you mates.

18. throttle

throttle Well-Known Member

Factory YZR 500's were lease return only unlike a ROC or Harris, How did you get a 93 YZR

Obviously you forgot that is Rocky Stargel, his got stuff that Rossis mechanics don't have.;)

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

20. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Well-Known Member

OK I was at the USGPRU final at TWS I was pitted accross the way fro mthe Aprilia's, and man they are loud, I was in the back field when my bike started getting very loud, like I blew out the side of the cases, it never lost power but kept getting louder and louder! as I came on to the front straight Garrett on the 250 came around me. Man that thing is loud! And wow the power! the 125's are loud and fast as well. I could not believe the trap speeds that Garrett was pulling on the 125! I can honestly say they ROCK! Maybe instead of getting a new 06 TZ I could get a Aprilia 125 Rocky any suggestions on where to get one and what years to get?