1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 vintage rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by promod, Nov 20, 2012.

1. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Charles. Did some AHRMA racing with Brian Henderson and Rob Simpson as riders on my TZ750s. Rob won Open GP championship. Sponsored CJ Caputo in Enduro karting and won 2 Junior Yamaha Championships. Spent the last year getting ready for Phillip Island. Mike Himmelsbach riding my Spondon in International Challenge.

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Busy man, good on you.:up:

PM me for some ideas about raising funds for your international effort.

We of the infamous '2-Stroke Racing Horde', aka 'The Dark Side', would love to see your TZ750's on the grid in WERA Vintage. How do we make that happen, if only once or twice?

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'll ride that F3. :up:

4. promod

promod Well-Known Member

rules

charles-,,,,god i would love to hear and see a real live tz750 at a wera event,,hopfully in 2013 be for i get to old to drive to one,, can u twist his arm ,,get him to do it,,did u say lyn has one ??? many thanks -steve....

5. promod

promod Well-Known Member

rules

hey joe !!!! there u are ,,i thought that f3 mite be the beast to get u going ...cool we'll talk about it as we go forward...steve.............

#156 Well-Known Member

You may have to change some things like tires but i think combinig v-3, formula 2 stroke and v-4 would increase grids and free up time for other classes to be added. my 2 cents.

7. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

How can you put formula 2 stroke bikes with mono shock and water cool and hybrd frame bikes racing with twin shock pre....1982 bikes......put formula 2 stroke with v-5 would be a good fit..... then there bumb up class would be lw v6 that would be the only way to combine formula 2 stroke into another class.................................

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Doug,
    V5 is already the bump up class for both V4 and F- 2 stroke. Can you remember back to when V4 and Formula 2-stroke were made into separate classes and why? I don't since it was before I started racing.

I don't think V3 should be combined with anything though. That is a good class as it is and Formula 500 bikes fit in V3 well too.

I'd have to think about allowing all V5 bikes into V6lw. Personally, I'd be OK with it but I'm not sure it would be wise in all instances.

9. charles

charles The Transporter

What business is it of yours when and why V4 and F-2Stroke were made into two separate classes.........friendo?

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed something, but why is it necessary/approriate to combine V-4 with anything and thereby eliminate the class? You have one season with few entries in the class so you want to kill it? I bring my Cagiva back out, Wayne returns on his bike, a couple of the BMW's return, Doug brings his Cagiva back . . . the class is alive and well. The class exists for a reason, and if you really want to kill it, make twin shock, pre-82 bikes run with V-5 and Formula 2 Stroke bikes. It will certainly stroke the egos of the V-5 & Formula riders, and it will provide a tremendous disincentive for anyone with a V-4 bike to attend a WERA Vintage race.

RacerTex said it well. The ideas proposed under the guise of "performance indexing" will result in two Vintage classes: one for Honda 350's and one for everything else. Then, you can watch people who don't race Honda 350's or V-5/Formula or V-6+ bikes disappear from WERA Vintage altogether.

Yes, the appropriate response is show up and race or shut up, and I plan to show back up and race. Times, the economy and people change periodically. Grids wax and wane. Bikes and interest come and go and come back. There is no "magic bullet" to instantly re-create the grids of the 90's. If time on race day is an issue, be flexible enough to combine classes and bikes as appropriate - it makes no sense to have a race with two bikes in two different classes (one per class) occupying the time of a single race on Saturday. If that means a back to back race for someone, so be it - it is better than not racing at all. If it means someone's second race is eliminated because of combining classes, address it at the track, and if necessary issue a refund or a credit. There is no perfect solution, but with flexibility, it can be accomodated. Closing speeds are an issue: V-5 or Formula bikes with GP350 bikes is not a good idea. I think WERA has done a pretty doggone good job of mixing, matching and balancing the various considerations, and I have no reason to believe that will not continue.

I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to be reminded of my words as the season progresses, but remember my caveat above: THERE IS NO PERFECT SOLUTION.

Ok, I'm off the box, and back to building BSA's and Cagivas - both require a lot of work, ya'know . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW - I am reading and paying attention and have no intention right this second of nuking anything other than 250GP.

Just a bit of insight to my thinking - there is nothing I could do that would actually free up an entire race (just a class really doesn't change my daily schedule any) so there's no point in nuking things unless they're so ill attended that they don't pay for shipping the trophies no one picks up. So with not being able to free up a race worth of time on the schedule that would allow me to possibly shift over some Sunday stuff to Saturday there is no upside for WERA as a whole and a definite downside to those classes that were well attended and currently aren't due to the economy. Now over the years all of the older stuff will eventually phase out, it's the nature of the age of the machinery, and the older smaller bikes will have to run where they aren't competitive. The more modern stuff will get their own V classes and the cycle will continue just as it has for all of WERA's life and the life of the bikes being raced. For now though, the oldest/smallest is still looking good so it'll stay on.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, and the continued support of Vintage motorcycle racing as an adjunct to the modern classes.

Cheers,

Dave

13. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

The only change I would like to see concerning Vintage relates to Sunday. I do not think V5 bikes are competitive in the C class as currently listed. Nor do I think V3 bikes are competitive in Clubman. I think a better match would be V4 and V5 in Clubman.

Perhaps some of the V6 bikes would be a better fit for the C class but those who ride them would be a better source of information on that than me.

I would be much more inclined to stay for Sunday if I knew I could ride a V5/F2Stroke bike in Clubman. Riding the H1 in Clubman would be a waste of time and money.

14. promod

promod Well-Known Member

rules

folks--i started this thread cause i'm building 2 new to wera v5 and v6lw bikes,,wanted to see what folks have in mind and see for the future of v classes...i like what i hear and thats why i'll drive 2 thousand miles round trip to each event,, a big plus is the folks i'v met so far have exceeded my thoughts as far as help and ideas..plus i get a lot more seat time than 4-6 seconds of drag racing each run,,(thank you very much) wera racers are blessed with v classes no such thing over here in central usa !!!!!!!!! looks like mongo is in step with the racers and admin...dam i'm a lucky guy,,,,,,seeyaa joe and every one else nx. yr..... dam i hope i get up to speed soon and am not in the way,,,,,,,,,steve..................................

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would tend to agree, but could a V-5 bike actually have an advantage? I don't know enough about the performance of some of the V-5 bikes, but could a 450 displacement RZ be the bike to beat or a 750 Ducati if the engine is built?

My V-2, Ascot, V-4 , Seca 550, and V-5, FZ600 bikes are already clubman legal. But, if the 500 Interceptor was legal for clubman, that would be kind of fun, too.

16. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

As the rules are currently the Aprilia RS250 frame/RZ motor limited to 396cc which we call a hybrid is already is already legal for Clubman. The next available cylinder set is 421cc. Joe is currently racing an RZ with a 421cc motor I originally built and I can assure you the Hybrid would beat the RZ every time as well as would several other bikes that regularly run Clubman.

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Jim,
    I suspected that adding all of the V-5 and V-6 bikes to clubman would not really alter the outcome. I like clubman since it allows all kind of bikes to mix it up. I agree that it would help boost the grids by giving some Saturday racers a reason to stay for Sunday. The current grids for clubman is pretty small. Last year at Blackhawk, since no vintage bikes showed up I ran Ltwt Solo 20 on Sat and Clubman, DSB and F2 on my Seca 550 and my FT500 on Sunday. I had a great time.

Personally, I don't think I will worry about running a vintage bike on Sunday, cause I picked up an SV for this season, but stuff happens and I like to keep my options open.

18. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

For what it's worth, I was running mid 41's at Barber practice on a 1977 CB750 with playing around with Jay Springsteen. I believe that is a V5 bike, not sure about Clubman.

Dave Crussel runs a TZ750 and he was running mid 40's at Barber in the races.

19. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

V1 and V2 SHOULD BE COMBINED absolutely, especially after the ABYSMAL turnout this year in those classes-

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aren't most of the bikes already legal in those classes based on just the class rules?