1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 vintage rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by promod, Nov 20, 2012.

1. promod

promod Well-Known Member

good day vintage crowd,,does anyone here know of or heard of any new or changed rules in vintage classes for 2013????.was wondering if maybe a few more bikes mite be allowed in diff. classes,,mite help fill the vintage class fields...people may have so and so brand and size bike in garage,, mite freshen up and add to size of race field in 2013,,worried wera mite make us go race with that other bunch of -------folks ,,i/d rather go fishing !!!!!! steve

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think Mongo is going to allow 17" wheels in V-2 so we can all use Stickboy rubbers. At least that is what I am hoping so I don't have to swap wheels around for my Ascot.
    I also think that Mongo is going to start up the V-8 class and allow anything in it that is at least 2 years old and give everybody a trophy that enters.

3. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I say lets let the 2000-2003 Aprilia Mille or Tuono in v7hwt with the rc51 and TLR.

4. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

:rolleyes:

5. promod

promod Well-Known Member

2013 rules

where is charles or joe on rules ??? was talking to steve long he thinks fzr 400 yamaha with fz600 air cooled motor in it or with water cooled 400 size motor would be good fit in v5 class,,or kawi ex with 550--600 sized motor in v5 class,,or fz600 with later seca air cooled motor in v5 class (motors and parts easier to find etc.)bigger 2 strokes,,more air cooled motor combos,,got to be some sitting in garages,,in this great country don't u think,,,what do u think???

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Hmmmm, I haven't thought of any proposals for 2013 - yet.

How about these:
    A. Bring back discussion of the creation of a V8 class. V7 cuts off at 1995 model year. 17 years ago is a long time period. V8 has been discussed many times in the past but the time may be right to add it in.

B. Combine V4 and Formula 2-stroke classes and bikes (used to be many moons ago).

C. Like Gypsy said, let the 1st gen Mille and Tuono into V7. It would fit nicely there.

D. Combine lower vintage classes to make room for V8. Not sure how this would be accomplished without pissing in somebodies wheaties.

E. If some Saturday classes were combined, move V6HW and V7 classes to Saturday?

The rules as written today seem to be holding up well.

7. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

It's not vintage if you add modern heads and parts to vintage bikes.Thats call clubman.....There's plenty of bikes around that meet the rules....people just won't get of there butts to race..............

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Ex500 is already unlimited in V5 regardless of year....but I think they are a better fit in v4. :) .....

Joe, why did V2 and Formula 2 stroke get seperated?

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

2-strokes and 4-strokes lived happily together in V4 before I even started racing. I'm not sure which side wanted the separation but a decision was made to create the Formula 2-stroke class. Again, that was before my time. If Mark Morrow sees this thread I know he will know the history on this. I think it was because the 2-stroke guys were beating up on the 4-stroke guys.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  10. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

So I guess that line of thought would apply to the Manxs that are pretty much built from new and greatly improved engine and tranny parts?

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

If V8 was created, wouldn't the RC, TLR, and Priller fit in those classes? Could they run at the same time as the V7 races? Maybe stage them in front of the V7 classes??

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'd also like to know exactly what you mean here Doug? I guess you could carry this thought process into suspension too, huh? What about brakes? Tires? Wheel change upgrades to 17" wheels versus 18" wheels?

AHRMA rules? No thanks.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

If they were legal in V7 and V8 was created they would have two good classes to run in.

14. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Study on the rulebook a little. There are already a number of defined bump up classes such as all Formula 2 Stroke bikes are allowed to enter V5. There are already a wide variety of bikes allowed in V5:

Vintage 5

Pre 1983 2-stroke factory road racers up to 500cc.

Pre 1983 Production based 2-stroke up to 750cc.

Pre 1983 4-stroke push rod unlimited displacement.

Pre 1983 OHC Twins to 1200cc.

Pre 1983 OHC 2 valves per cylinder to 1200cc.

Pre 1983 OHC 4 valves per cylinder to 1025cc.

Among the eligible V5 machines are the following: Ducati F1A and F1B, 750cc limit; Honda CB750F, CBX, CB900F, pre-1986 Honda VF500, VF700, and VF750; Kawasaki KZ750, KZ1000, Z1, GPZ 550/750/1100, and EX500 without restrictions and regardless of year; Suzuki GS1000, Seeley Suzuki 750, pre-1986 Suzuki GS 750 (no hybrids, i.e., Suzuki GS 1000 motor in a 1985 mono-shock frame), GS 500 (no restrictions); Yamaha FZ600, Seca 550, Seca 750, Virago 980, TZ 750. RZ 350 with maximum displacement of 450cc.

15. Duck150

yup...when you start adding modern heads,blending a new bike to old parts,trying to change rules that state pre......something year is not vintage to me.................

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

So, when I first started racing I had the Katana front end on my RZ. I upgraded to 4 piston GSXR brakes off a 2000 GSXR750 (I think I have the year right). Are you saying that should be illegal even though 4 piston calipers were legal in the time period of the class? Or, are you talking about a Pro Designs Cool Head like I use on my RZ engines? Heads of that type have been around forever. OEM RZ heads are less serviceable and use an expensive head gasket. The aftermarket heads are o-ringed. This saves time, effort, and money which can help racers stay on the track. I'm sure many cranks in 4-stroke bikes are not OEM off the shelf units.

17. Duck150

Joe Joe....when you start over indexing bikes into classes the real class will be gone....I'm not talking about tires.....I use to race on dunlops kr,they don't make them anymore...I saying every year this time people keep trying to update newer stuff into a class that already has a class for them...........

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Well, you talked about parts in your previous thread not whole bikes. Fair enough about indexing bikes. Like I stated above, the rules overall seem fine as they are.

19. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Actually, AHRMA does allow 17" wheels on RZ's.

20. promod

promod Well-Known Member

2013 rules

guys here is why asked about rules,,new to wera got to ask questions to learn..bought fzr400 for v6lw looking good,,so far bought 3 fz600 frames they are flimsey- are twisted-are rusty-,just going to have to make work ,,my choice of bike to ride in v5,,love yamahas !!! .was not looking to bump up ,like v5 and v6lw classes,, great place for old dude to go have fun..... to start with i see the part that says (among the eligible machines)--i'm thinking there are more bikes eligible that can run this class but are not listed in rules u have to call to find that info,,maybe there are no more bikes eligible,,i don't know ..was hoping some other year frame could be used in place of fz600 frame and be legal in v5..does any one know,,could that be done ,or can a person ask tech. dept. if could ,,not update,,but sub. in this case a diff yam frame aka--fzr600 steel frame period correct put aircooled fz600 motor in it and rock and roll !!many thanks to all here and any and all info would be greatly used --like will buy fzr600 frame today and git started if wera says its ok.....steve wera 141---come on 2013,,like kid looking in a candy store can't wait to get in there...................