1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 vintage rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by promod, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those V5 750's are actually what worries me about a blanket allowance. And honestly the larger displacement on the RZ concerns me too. The H2's and the like I think would be great.

Not saying I won't agree on the whole thing, just saying what I'm worried about.

2. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

After some study and research I'll withdraw my proposal to allow V5 bikes into Clubman. I think well prepared CB750Fs, CB900Fs, and TZ750s could dominate the class with the right riders. Also forgot the class allows pre 1983 2 stroke factory road racers up to 500cc which includes some pretty potent equipment as well.

Vintage 5

Pre 1983 2-stroke factory road racers up to 500cc.

Pre 1983 Production based 2-stroke up to 750cc.

Pre 1983 4-stroke push rod unlimited displacement.

Pre 1983 OHC Twins to 1200cc.

Pre 1983 OHC 2 valves per cylinder to 1200cc.

Pre 1983 OHC 4 valves per cylinder to 1025cc.

Among the eligible V5 machines are the following: Ducati F1A and F1B, 750cc limit; Honda CB750F, CBX, CB900F, pre-1986 Honda VF500, VF700, and VF750; Kawasaki KZ750, KZ1000, Z1, GPZ 550/750/1100, and EX500 without restrictions and regardless of year; Suzuki GS1000, Seeley Suzuki 750, pre-1986 Suzuki GS 750 (no hybrids, i.e., Suzuki GS 1000 motor in a 1985 mono-shock frame), GS 500 (no restrictions); Yamaha FZ600, Seca 550, Seca 750, Virago 980, TZ 750. RZ 350 with maximum displacement of 450cc.

3. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

We can work on improving the data entry content (class names on the front page). For now, I'm pleased that AHRMA's whole staff has been trained and is now doing it accurately and consistently.

5. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

A 1:40 around Barber on a single cam K1 750 is getting it, was this a CR replica?

Love to see well done 4's like that. Would also love seeing an original Z1 Superbike out there. I am going to have to make the show next year.

Great to see a civil debate on vintage changes... way different than in years past.

6. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

its only November and we have not heard from some of the sticklers!

7. charles

charles The Transporter

You could always give it a try to see how it works out on the track instead of in our minds...:D

8. Yamaha Fan

There fixed it for you!

9. charles

charles The Transporter

I heard that DocLogic was a critical component in worldwide industrial growth.

10. Yamaha Fan

That is just a rumor, it is actually limited to the US and China... :D

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

sorry buff, don't own a gopro. i crashed in T15 on lap 1 of saturday's race. don't know why mylaps say DNS, maybe because i didn't complete the lap. i borrowed a transponder but didn't register it correctly so didn't get times. you're going to have to take my word for it, or ask springsteen :) my team was getting us in the high 41's then mid 41's last few laps. after we passed each other a few times i sat behind him hoping to learn. it was hard to stay focused though seeing that thing chatter like crazy. i was on tires that had quite a few heat cycles, so i wasn't pushing...which is why i'm pretty confident that mid to low 40's was totally doable.

they have two fork braces on springer's XR. he said he was breaking in new tires and it chatters more when they're new. i was so bummed out abt crashing. springer and i had a double or nothing bet for a 6 pack in the formula vintage race, which was my bump up. last year at barber i bet him a beer that he couldn't catch kevin schwantz and i. we were in the 1st wave on singles (kevin on norton me on yam 450 supersingle) and he was in 2nd wave on the XR. i ran 43 flats and had him by a straight. he got that XR down to the low 39's chasing me.
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2107813

the CB wasn't a CR replica. it was built for ahrma's vintage superbike class so it had bars on top of a F3 front end, a low seat and super high rearsets which made the riding position pretty awkward. we had to have them so high though because with 17's it lacked ground clearance. i was dragging all types of shit the first time i raced it at road america. riding hard, i was 1.6 seconds faster than the fastest SV at road america having never been there before. bike stalled on the way to grid. had to wait for 2nd wave to go and have my team jump pit wall with kickstarter, spotting my class about 60 seconds. i rode the piss out of it and caught crussel in T5 last lap. one for the memory books for sure.
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2517828

at gingerman which is much tighter, there was only 1 SV that ran a faster time. i led all of the SVs and RS125s there for two laps then let them by since i had my class gapped and didn't want to risk going down. not huge grids, but it still gives you an idea of how a seriously built CB or KZ or GS can get around the track. david crussel still runs 18's on his KZ and gets around really well. i was running michelin power one VA front and power one 150 rear.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wish I could but not with something like this. I'd prefer to get more info an input first. I've learned the hard way once you start allowing bikes into a class it's much harder to get them back out.

13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Not sure if KMC has clarified but I thought the bike in question was a later double overhead cam 750 based on a pic he posted sometime in the last year or so???

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Does this mean you'd be more likely to add a V8 class, than to just index more bikes into V7? Is the concern that the current V7 regulars will no longer race the class if they are no longer competitive?

My opinion: V7 grids have become too small for me to really enjoy them. I love racing with some of the super fast guys, but it's so infrequent that they'd come out it isn't worth it to me any longer. I'm almost certainly selling my bike to move on to a class with more entries. If I don't, I will race my F3 against the modern bikes since I'm still a novice and it would be competitive there. Top 5 competitive anyhow.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but more bikes in V7 > more classes.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I would be more likely to make a V8 than to change the V7 rules to allow faster machines. Performance indexing in machines that are NOT faster than the current rules allow can always happen.

Grid size in Vintage is and always will be base on economics more than any other single factor. The few that have money and just love the bikes are a minority. The majority of vintage riders are drawn to it by the cost factor - and if even travel costs go up they're over budget for racing so grids drop. We see it even in times with only tiny economic drops in the stock market or whatever, right now is a much bigger time so we're seeing it more. I really don't want to change things wholesale with rules reacting to issues that aren't due to the rules. I'd rather be more careful and wait out the economy a bit more and at that point look at the necessity of changing rules.

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

"I'd rather be more careful and wait out the economy a bit more and at that point look at the necessity of changing rules."

:up::up::up:

17. charles

charles The Transporter

That's a prudent approach, but, overall, don't you think that the vintage grid sizes have been impacted moreso by fluctuations in the underlying assets of derivatives, as well as overaggressively managed hedge funds? :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: That's as bad as asking me what class a Featherbed framed T-120 motor can race in!

19. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Sean, what does this mean, specifically about brakes?

Appears added at the end of 500GP:

In all GP classes, the chassis/brake/bodywork must be of a type actually available prior to 1972. All five and six speed racing transmissions are allowed except in 650cc pushrod twins.

As opposed to this statement further on in CH11:

Brakes: 350 & 500 GP will employ internal expanding drum brakes front and rear regardless of original equipment.

Is it a "back-door" for disk brakes in GP?....or does the later statement carry the weight?

Like for instance, the 1970 CB450 came with a single disk (prior to 1972)....so does that make disk legal in WERA 500GP?

Thanx.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The brakes rule supercedes the class rule. The overall class rule covers everything in all GP classes, it's then further clarified specifically for 300 & 500 GP in the brake specific rule.