1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 350GP Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

No sir. The rule book was not that clear on every item on the bikes and is LEFT to interpretation. The threads on here have proven that. WERA allowed those bikes that you are saying are illegal to run. You have a good field of CB350 based bikes. They do not outrun the cream of the GP350 crop. So whats the problem? Why go make it so the existing bikes in that class are now illegal?
    I know you are going to say they were already illegal but evidently no oneviewed them as such. How many were protested?

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

it's kind of like legal case studies: you can read the original law, but then you have to research how the law is subsequently applied/interpreted by the courts......obviously if no one ever protested, the case study part is looking at the prevailing state of cheating....

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I couldn't care less what you think, your history is well documented.:moon:

Cry Wolf Shepherd Boy

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry, rules were perfectly clear. Same as the rules for every other class.

Why is it we have to spell out every detail of what can or cannot be changed in the Vintage rules but not to the thousands of other riders that run with us - even in classes with a lot of different types and styles of machines?

Just because there were no protests doesn't mean anything, try another excuse.

As for why make them illegal - I didn't, you did when you modified them outside of the allowed mods listed in the rulebook. You changed the bike, I did not. If you'd pay attention rather than getting all pissy because you screwed up you'd notice that I've already said I'll rewrite them yet again.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not exactly, since no one has protested, no one has ruled on any of these things until now so I'm creating the case law at this point....

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

But as far as Aesop Fables go "The Mischievous Dog" is more RingDingDing's speed. :)

7. ROSKO

ROSKO the dirty Knacker

As a 'grid filler' the cb350 was allowed into 350gp. To keep it from dominating the class there were additional restrictions/ limitations placed on the machine. Wouldn't that mean the bike must conform to GP rules + the additional set limitations? Most machines seem to be built with this logic in mind.

Up in NH we do not run any of the contested mods BUT our bikes would also be far from SS spec. Many of us plan to run with WERA this year, it would be great if there was a class we fit into! Just let us know which class a stock motor, carb and chassis cb350 fits into and we'll be on the grid! See you there.

8. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

:stupid:

Put this in the rule book and you would have a nearly black and white build sheet. A race able bike even I could build, run and be legal. I've wanted to build one of these bikes for a while, but I haven't due to the gray areas that have been beaten to death in these threads. Just remove the gray areas and put them in english so someone like me can understand what we can and can not do on this bike. I'd love to race in a cheap stock spec engine class like I thought this was. The rules just seem to cross reference various sections that don't seem to correlate with each other at all. SS rules obviously make sense for a SS class, but when SS rules get put on a spec bike in a GP class it just doesn't make clear sense as to what you can and can't do.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll spec out exactly what you can do for every single model of motorcycle out there.

If you can't figure out what SS rules are and how they apply to a bike that has been performance indexed then you really need to hire someone else to work on your bikes.

10. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

I'm not pissy. If all the competitors (and from what I've seen here, MOST did) interpreted the rules to allow more than you intended then it stands to reason that it's the RULES that were not very clear. I know the guys that I observed and talked to had no reason to think that they were "cheating" at all. They built the best bikes they could based on the rules as they were written. That is what I did. I changed out a nicely braced frame for a stocker just to be sure I was in compliance.
    No one here saw the airbox, steering head bearing, etc. stuff coming, as to them/us it did not appear to be illegal by the rules.
    I appologize if my reactions and comments have escalated this to a personal level as that was not my intention. I do appreciate the time you have given this. I just don't want to see such a good group of racers with no place to race.

11. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

Other then the few 350 hondas I've seen at the track and a couple I've looked at to buy to modify to race I've never seen or ridden a CB350. So knowing what should be on it and what old broken junk I can pull off becomes rather important in my build up. If I'm building a 2007 R6 to race SS the rules are very easy to use and implement.

12. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

would you old ladies pull up your stockings and go prep your bikes if you plan on racing this year- quit posting and clean out the 4 month old fuel in you carbs.

13. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

You are absolutly correct, but as a person who want's to build one of these with no direct expericence with these bikes, as many of the people in this class are, I would just like clarification of the rules before I build one. If this class now requires DOT's that don't exist for instance, or some other common mod that is now clearly illegal, I guess I'll refocus on V7 where the rules are clear.

14. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

:crackhead: yes- I think V7 is where you should stay... just to be clear.

15. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

Thanks for the welcome!:D I'd be happy to at this point!

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Here come de Judge, here come de Judge!:D

17. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

Actually if these rules are implemented and enforced then it wouldn't be hard to build a legal bike. I've asked several questions on here in the past and most of the answers didn't make sense rules wise, but they seemed to be the accepted answers. Obviously it didn't makes sense because they arn't legal. I don't see anything wrong with having an electrical system with a starter. As long as I can get the 40 year old wiring to work when needed. If DOT's are required though that would be a problem.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would it matter what bike you're building?

I'd never read the SS rules before I built a bike to them the first time.

19. STUPID

STUPID it hurts

It wouldn't matter if I hadn't been trolling on here for years and had been reading what people who actually raced in the class were doing. Then trying to understand what was and what wasn't legal from the rules. I like the idea of running a honda 350 as a second bike since it sounds cheap and fun to race on Saturday other then a solo.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well I'll give you a hint about racing and rules..... No matter what everyone else tells you, the rulebook trumps them.