1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 350GP Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

350 GP
    Pre 1970 2 stroke twins up to 250cc.
    Pre 1968 4 stroke twins up to 350cc.
    Pre 1969 4 stroke singles up to 350cc.
    Pre 1979 factory road racers up to 125cc.
    Honda 350cc twins with the following limitations: OEM Honda twin frame and swingarm (frame may be braced, swingarm must remain stock), all other items must remain per Superstock rules except the following: any ignition system and coils, any internal expanding drum brakes, any diameter period forks to class maximum diameter, any period body work/fairing.
    Among the eligible 350 GP machines are the following: Aermacchi/H-D 350cc 4-stroke singles; AJS 7R 4-speed; BSA 350, BSA 441; Bultaco 125/200 TSS; Ducati 350; Honda 305 Superhawk, CR-77 and the restricted 350cc twins listed above; Norton 350; Royal Enfield 500cc singles any year; Suzuki X-6, T-250;Yamaha TD1, B, C, and DS7(up to 3mm over) without carb restrictions.

The ingition and coils are actually cool by SS rules but since they really address the ECU I figured I'd make sure everyone knows they're allowed.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Aye sir....Brace I shall....already have a plan.

3. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Dont add to much weight - and thanks a million for the welding rod, really appreciate you coming through on that.:up:

4. CharlieY

Yeah man...theres more if ya need it.

Most important brace in my mind is between the shocks....already have one cut.

5. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Time to swap back to my GOOD frame..lol!

6. joec

joec brace yourself

mongo, thanks for seeing the light! seriously, thank you for considering both sides of the argument. see you guys at vir!

kegger at team superawesomes!

joe

7. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Mongo, Thanks for all the grief you had to deal with and setting the record straight. BTW, the Banquet video on web playback is very cool.
    You're the Man!

8. CharlieY

Yeah, that was a good broadcast....possibly races in the future?

I appreciate the clarity.....we should all look over the SS rules. Bracing is now allowed, but there are other things that aint.....actually, things just got tougher (closer to street stock), not easier.

9. CharlieY

Gents, if the intent was to eliminate the Honda 350's in 350GP, I wish that would have just been said.

Joe and Tex, I have to commend you guys. You made your points well.....frame bracing is now allowed by the rules. Your other input about "any mods not listed are not allowed" was also added.

Bravo sirs.....you have just decimated the class, in order to include 1 overly modified bike. We dont have any bikes that fit these rules to the letter.....do you?....Joes bike just got farther away from legal, not closer.

Bring your braced frame, with stock airbox, elect starter re-installed, kickstarter assy installed, ball bearing neck bearings, DOT tired bike on out and we will race in 350GP!!!:up:

Does the electric starter have to work? which would mean charging system, battery...

Long live WERA 350GP....and 500GP....it was fun while it lasted fellas.

I'm lucky enough to have a V5 bike.....some of the other guys are not, so they will run their underpowered "Modified chassis street stock" machines in V1 and not be competitive, myself probably included....if they race at all.

Way to go boys...:Poke:

10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Well-Known Member

Wow. Talking about over reacting. He said ignitions are allowed.
    And show up with 40 year old tires. I'd like to see that.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually I didn't disallow anything that was previously allowed. So what it comes down to is what I expected - you're all cheating just in different ways and giving each other shit for the others cheating differently.

I'm seriously amazed that you do not understand what stock means. The old rules said stock engine components - how in the hell do you get from that wording that you can yank the starter? Or even worse - the entire charging system?

You guys are truly amazing.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

So, how does it feel sitting at the camp fire all alone? ;)

13. joec

joec brace yourself

mongo is right in so many ways. if you take it literally. hey, ive admitted to putting my horn back on though. those are the points i didnt want to make. i guess its any ignition system that retains the factory charging system. i wanted to mention the starter with stock motor...but didnt.

the charging system only runs off the motor. if you kept the stock motor, with the charging system, that to me would mean the rotor and windings stayed, but the other crap could go. regulator, rectum fryer etc....

and im not cheating......well....not anymore!
    :up:

are you tryign start this up again. someone might have to take my place. i dont think i can do this again.

thanks again mongo.

jc

14. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

I think what Charlie is getting at is that we now have to run 35 year old ignition parts that have to work. The class is no longer a "cheap" class as it now involves a semi-restoration. If we can brace , update and remove unneeded parts from 35 year old frames why can't we update ignitions and remove unneeded ignition parts? Also with SS rules we have to run stock air filters and airboxes, does this apply to CB350s? If these are true then 350GP is dead. PLease verify ASAP as I thought my race bike was ready for our first event in just ten days time. :(

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what the rules said before. Did you guys not actually read them? Where did it say you could remove stuff from the engine? Where did it say you could remove the airbox?

Amazing.

BTW, the horn is legal to remove, try actually reading the rulebook.

16. ttilghman

ttilghman Well-Known Member

yeah

i thought my bike was super-legal, but now i'm looking at these infractions for starters.

-no stock airbox
    -no starter
    -no alternator
    -no headlight/tailight housing or much of the OEM harness
    -my seat cowl is too high
    -my tires aren't DOT (i can't imagine having to race on the Bstone BT45's)

-but i can drill my carb slides and brace my frame if i want to.

i trust all this can be worked out, but let's all be careful about blaming anybody for decimating the class. we're all guilty of bitching around here until Sean felt compelled to make a ruling. again, it seems to me we were fixing what wasnt' broken and now everybody's screwed for a bit.

i thought it was very cool that we could slowly build toward V1/LWSV but all stay closely competitive in GP/FCB until we had the seat-time, finances and/or mechanical skill to bump up...it was a nice progression. now the two classes have be separated as requested....just not for the requested reasons.

????-
    tt

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Viva La V1:)

18. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

I did read the old rulebook and pretty sure it said airbox may be removed and carbs rejetted. I haven't seen one CB350 yet that had a stock airbox, rear fender, side panels etc.

19. CharlieY

Hey, I came clean on what I had....and attempted to make the rules real.

Anyone running anything other than a stock 40 yr old ball bearing neck is illegal? really?

Anyone NOT running the complete stock airbox is Illegal? Really?

But you can Legally structurally modifyyour chassis?...whhaaaa?

Just doesnt add up, has no rhyme or reasoning.

The PVL has a stator and rotor, So removing the orig is required....My rotor was still in place till teardown after Nashville.....I was still running points.

Like I said, bring your electric and kick start, ball bearing neck, stock airbox, but structurally modified bike out and go 350GP racing.......:up:

As joe admits he knew he was cheating by bracing his frame.....brilliant!

Sean, the old rule said nothing about components sir....it did say material, which I read as engine material, like porting.....but not components...just being clear. "components" was not listed.

I've removed my electric starter. kick starter was there till GNF, as was rotor etc. I use the stock rubber intake boots as stacks, but not the box, I removed my choke, I run SAFER Neck bearings, and a stock unbraced frame....My motor is bone stock (no rubber removed from my cam sprocket Joe:up: ).....and I'm illegal in 350 GP....

what about you joe?....go ahead and say your bike meets these rules....reply requested sir.

Like I said, if the intent was to eliminate the class.....bravo.

Hey Lizard, if I could afford to be competitive in V1, I'd already be there sir.

20. racertex

racertex vintage dude

thanks mongo for clearing this mess up. oh yeah, and happy belated birthday too.

for the rest of the malcontents out there, take a piece of advice from good old chopper........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

tex