1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 350GP Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Gents, this proposal is reality.....and we still lose to a real GP bike.

Honda 350cc twins with the following restrictions: OEM Honda twin CB/CL/SL non-braced or gussetted frame and swingarm. OEM or stock replacement non-modified engine parts (no metal removed or added, except to 1 mm overbore), OEM carburetors (jets may be changed, chokes and airbox removed). The following removals are allowed: Electric starter assy, charging system, kick starter. Following additions / Modifications are allowed: aftermarket cam chain and cam chain tensioners, any ignition system and coils, any internal expanding drum brakes, any diameter period forks to class maximum diameter, Alloy wheels to class specs, any period non-canister exhaust system, any non-reservoir hydraulic shocks, any rearsets, neck roller bearing conversion, any period body work/fairing/ tank. Welding of lap joint edges on OEM frame components originally joined by OEM factory spot welds, repairing a cracked original weld or frame / swingarm. removal of "street oriented" tabs and brackets. Any modifications not specifically listed above shall not be permitted.

Every bike I know of fits these rules.....'cept 1, and its V1 brother bikes:up:

Tex, is your bike legal?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

my bikes as legal as the rest of em.

jc

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  3. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

With only 10 days to go to my first race and no way of being able to install the starter mechanism on my THR ignition I may have no choice! I guess we are 500GP legal though.

4. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

oh boy, who needs the dungeon...

5. joec

joec brace yourself

dean, ill see you on the 350 grid. kick some ass out there!

jc

6. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Mongo--superstock rules allow the stock filter element to be replaced with k&n etc: but the oem cb350 left and right paper elements [hard/expensive to get] are glued into sheet metal sides that actually comprise the airbox: so wouldn't clamp on filters fit the spirit of the rules? [obviously open velocity stacks wouldn't]

7. tannermattic

tannermattic shredward scissorhands

i'll sell you my sissybar.... sissy!

mt

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Does the rule "If it does not mention you CAN do it, YOU CAN NOT" only apply to the SS rules?

If it does I can see where some of the confusion has come in, re. airboxes etc. in the past as there was no mention of "(SS Spec)" regarding Honda 350 twins in 350GP in the 2007 rule book. There were too many grey areas.

9. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Sean,

avon AM race tyres and dunlop kr race tyres are not DOT legal.

10. joec

joec brace yourself

you guys are gey.

build your god damned bikes an race them.

tanner, i love you.

jc

11. 71Norton

71Norton Well-Known Member

Mongo:

I apprecfiate your effort to clarify the rules and uinderstand what an effort it must be to read through this amazing thread.

There was one exception included in the old rules that you did not bring forward and that was the ability to change the stock cam chain tensioner for an after market tensioner.

That rule was in place as the original tensioner is a piece of crap and disintegrates. Every motor I have pulled apart has had this in pieces.
    I see that super stock rules allow a lot of lee way with cam chain adjustment and tensioner but don't believe that this is covered.

Can you clarify this one rule.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Keith.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It said rejetting the carbs was legal. No mention of the airbox.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Swapping the cam chain tensioners is legal per the SS rules.

Obviously I'll have to rewrite the entire damn thing yet again since not one single Honda 350 was actually legal.

So - which one of the illegal machines should I base the rules on? You guys are the ones running the class, I do not care what happens with the 350's as long as they don't all of the sudden become dominant but this is driving me insane. I read the rule - it was obviously intended to allow a stock or superstock Honda 350 a place to play. Not a modified one, not even slightly. Well since ALL of you have modified yours the whole thing is totally different now.

14. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

You bunch of dummies, same thing happened to Formula-RD becuase a minority of gear heads wear affraid to race with out some sort of advantage over the rest of the field. The stocker class is a sort of run what you brung class, trying to push the grey areas in such a class as this will only lead to its premature end. Bravo!

15. ttilghman

ttilghman Well-Known Member

Thanks Sean-

Sorry for the mess, i'm still not sure why this issue was forced on you in the first place. it's the Hp/fueling mods that would make the hondas faster than they should be for GP. all the chassis mods though this thread and all the engine component removals throughout this tread don't make a significant competitive difference. i'm sure you'll get more specifics than you'll care for, but thanks in advance for your patience.

best-
    tt

16. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

Don't blame the racers because WERA didn't enforce their existing rules. Look at it logically. Keeping the stock engine internals(sans tensioner) and the stock carburetors will prevent the CB350 from dominating this class. God forbid someone out ran a REAL race bike..lol. To ask people to drudge up airboxes and standard charging systems and starting mechanisms is the worst idea possible unless the intent is to DISCOURAGE running a Honda 350 twin. I started my bike build in a logical fashion just as I built my dirt track cars of old. I read the rules. Yes, there were gray areas as there always are with any set of rules. So I went to the track and actually LOOKED at the bikes that were racing under those rules. I looked at as many as I could find. I took pictures. I asked questions then came home and built my bike which is now illegal. Beautiful, just beautiful.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

The Sky is Falling:)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So it's our fault YOU can't read the rules? :crackup:

I am enforcing the rules, that's what you're pissed off about. I love how you didn't think the rulebook mattered as much as looking at bikes at the track. Yep, everyone is illegal so it must be cool.

19. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Sean, sorry for the frustration.....it aint fun on this end either sir.

My proposal earlier here mentioned reality...what I meant was every CB350 I know of would fit those rules, except a structurally modified / braced bike.

Personally, I saw the words "Material Removal" in the old rule as applying to porting and such. With that in mind, I removed my starter and plugged the hole.

Thanx for your patience.

20. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Gizzard, you sir are a jackass