1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

09 GSXR1000 cranks...fail..

Discussion in 'General' started by ed who?, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

agreed. BUT the SV was designed to be a 55-60rwhp street commuter bike originally...plus the 2nd gens are snapping due to suzuki cutting cost/cheaper production cost on the cases IMO.

Besides i know a lot of SV guys that snap cranks...slap a new one in and away they go...on the GSXR1000 you basically destroy the entire engine. Cases alone are $3,389.00 the crank $1,280.00 and used engines are fetching over $3,000 so its not really apples to apples. Plus not too many SV guys are getting only ONE weekend out of a box stock new from suzuki oem crank...

These 1000's are meant to be raced/built/run high hp..the sv really wasn't just guys like you and i are pushing them 50% more hp than stock (not too many gsxr1000's are making 50% more hp than stock aka 230rwhp)

TWF like i said, THEY ALL HAVE ISSUES...this is a KNOWN issue within top teams around world and suzuki/yosh japan..but since its not "that common" its being kept quiet...just like Honda is trying to do with warranty of the oil burners or BMW with the cranks/transmissions.....it sucks cause 3 LONG time (think over 15 years each) Suzuki racers/supporters/champions are switching brands next year solely on the fact they all 3 have lost thousands on a known (within suzuki) issue.

Guess 2012 its time to push the new ZX10 to failures and see what breaks :)

2. ed who?

best all around GSXR1000. Same crank in 05-08's too. Betting the 2012 looks exactly the same in design regards. :rolleyes:

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Wonder if the crank went on Tommy Hayden's bike when the motor went boom. Not sure if Alan is changing brands (never asked him) but he's been on Suzuki for at least 12 years.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Stop spinning them to 14.5k....... :Poke: :D

5. ed who?

lol you cant! the empro limits the 09+ to 14k. We run ours to only 13,700. again, the other 2 were stock ecu's

6. ed who?

7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

btw that was me inquiring to see if the problem had been fixed :p

I was in the market recently to buy another GSXR1000 to go play on until I seen this thread about cranks snapping. :eek:

Easy decision in the end,,,,,I kept my Bking and went drag racing :D

8. TLRboy

TLRboy Member

That is a K5- K8 crank in a K9 crankcase.... of Mladin's GSXR1000K9

The stroke is shorter on the K9 (1,7mm) and the conrod of the of the K5 - K8 is 1.0 mm shorter

So when you place in a crank of a K5-K8 model with conrods you still end up with a difference of 0,7 mm As the squish with an oem headgasket is around 0,84 mm it will be 0,14 witch is to small (0,65 max)

How did they do it? anyone?

My K9 crank snapped this weekend at races in Germany... Whole engine is gone. Cases, crank pistons valve's.....

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They cross drill the 09 crank. Mladin's crank in his 09 could not have been an 08, that would be a rules infraction.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If an 05-08 crank does fit in an 09, it would then be a stroker motor.

11. ed who?

No way Yosh ran older gen crank. I know from long talk with Fujio @ Miller there was issue. The 12' is fixed as they changed way oil is fed.

I know Omrra #1 guy Slan schmidt lost TWO 09 G1k last wknd. 1 was his Ss built one that snapped crank (that's #3 for him) and his back up bike was the Motorcycle USA special Yosh built project bike that threw rod straight thru cases into header and radiator!

I fxxking hate the 09-11 G1K! Worst Suzuki ever. Even over the 88-89 750's!! Oh wait those were the years Suzuki tried going short stroke & it failed miserably. Guess they didn't learn! I called this on WERA way back when Suzuki first announced the new 09 & it's short stroke design. It's funny it's much shorter stroke yet they won't let u rev it as high? Gee wonder why. Lets hope new one comes soon as its not competitive anywhere/series right not.

12. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Well Mladin would never have a crank that wouldn't pass tech:Poke::D

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I thought you said they were doing a cross plane crank for next year.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

So anybody in the southeast had one of these things fail? Because I have yet to hear of anyone.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes.

16. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

I am just curious... can you run without the Rotor..? Total loss is no big deal.. unless the rules don't allow that... Or, has anyone ballanced the darn thing..? Just wonder in if that would help... Or lastly can that darn rotor be turned down to reduce the mass..??

Just wondering...

Ron

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There is a way to solve the problem - Yosh has done it. I have tried to point it out but the crybabies seem to have the floor.

18. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

:Pop:

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Problem is that makes it a superbike motor.

20. TLRboy

TLRboy Member

About the picture on page 2, you can see that the crank has a counterweight bolted on.. Thats not a k9 crank thats an older one... like k5 - k8

I'm racing in Europe streetcircuits. Most of the time longstraits, corners.. Just like small Isle of Man races.. The rev's are up long time... I need a new engine and i'm not gonna buy a 09 again, where i have to replace the crank... I'm gonna test with a 08 crank in 09 cases...

Is this 08 Crank... i guess
    Don't post RRW's photos.