1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

09 GSXR1000 cranks...fail..

Discussion in 'General' started by ed who?, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

this outta get the board going. Last year on my own forum while talking with racers about the 1000's and their goods/bads about each, i mentioned the 2009+ GSXR1000 so far (this was last year) great and strong but rumors of crank issues are floating....well guess not rumors.

Here are pics of what i have been hearing for last year. We built/raced 9 2009-2010 GSXR1000's these past 13-14 months and had almost no issues (mid shift fork wears, 3/4 input gear, etc) but basically great strong 190+rwhp engines in SS trim on VP gas.

But i have heard from several of my connections within AMA/BSB that the cranks break and it was known early in testing, thus why all the sudden the GSXR grew a "support snout" on the end of the crank/support for the stator...

Well here is one with stock lower end with about 100 street/break in miles, 200 miles on the dyno and about 1,500 race/trackday miles..pretty low. He was RELIGOUS with oil changes (full synth 10/50) always let warm up to over 85c water temp/cases hot to touch, etc... Really one of my better racers that take care of their bikes actually. Now he is outta of season on it while battling for the #1 plate in his club and out a set of cases/crank/etc...

ANYONE that builds engines (not you 19 year old mmi gonnabe's) or does cranks for a living can see where they machine it, its too thin/weak and cracks right along that stress riser.

Really sucks. I love this new GSXR (05-08 were better imo) but the new one was growing on us and we have won many races in AFM, OMRRA, etc on our 2009's.

Just letting you guys with 09 or 10'(canada) GSXR1000's to watch for this. Im not even sure cryo, ISF, or lightening it would help. You can see the rod is perfect next too it (no heat/spun bearing first, etc)

:(

Shitty thing is this racer did nothing wrong, the bike is made for racing, lower end was stock, oil changed every weekend, warmed up WAY better than most racers and every street rider, etc...Lets see how long till more start...even the street/track day guys once they get more miles on them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I cracked the crank on my 2007 GSX-R1000.

That sucked.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. ed who?

man i NEVER had a crank issue/break on any of the 2005-2008 models personally. I think those 4 years i have done about 35-36 of them too...odd, where did you break the 07 at? Any head contact? Spun bearings first?

This is obvious, right along the stress riser from the machined area.

4. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

This sounds fun.

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

[​IMG]

That's scary as hell right there. And I thought my Honda was out to get me with crappy sensors...

6. H8R

7. ed who?

HOT DAMN! Never seen one do that in any of our 2nd gen GSXR1000's but then again anything and everything is always possible! thanks for pic!

But if you look at the 2009 you can see WHY it breaks...clearly a bad design/machining??

8. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Time for Suzuki to start using forged pieces. I wonder what happens to those who knife edge :eek:

9. ed who?

really sucks cause we have a bunch others out there...and i know im just one little shop. But the other 8 09-10' GSXR1000's have me worrying/wondering now..if i see a crank like H8R put up, it could be anything and everything "why" but these pics of the 09+ clearly show the "why"

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I forgot about that. Sorry, dude.

11. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

whoa, what? are you saying they aren't forged? color me ignorant, but aren't all cranks forged in recent history?

12. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

H8R think we need to check little closer, could we get another set of photos from the bottom left?
    ;)

13. H8R

I wondered if anyone would catch that. ;) :D

14. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

fwiw the big boy's had problems w them too. I wonder how they fixed it. h8r you're a perv :D

15. H8R

Nope...not me...just you guys trying to read a pixilated screenshot. :D

16. ed who?

A racer posted this on my forum. Interesting find.

Dateline - Imola, Italy

Suzuki has addressed the issue of premature crankshaft failure today in a press conference hosted by Suzuki Factory World Superbike rider, Leon Haslam.

"These accusations are completely baseless. Suzuki has always made reliability, durability, and performance
    their top engineering objectives. Minor issues can develop on even the best race bikes, but
    the crankshaft of every Suzuki GSXR must pass a rigorous quality control process guaranteeing longevity
    and performance. Take it from me, you can count on the Suzuki GSXR 1000 to get the job done"

In unrelated news it was reported that an unidentified WSBK rider was seen beating his head against a wall, without a helmet. Race officals are investigating the incident.

17. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

Ed, thanks for posting this. With the stator cover off can you see the area where the crack starts through the round vent hole? I need to be checking mine I think. Maybe pull the crank and grind in a small, nicely radiused undercut along that edge, who knows.

Otherwise I really like my K9, especially the chassis.

18. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I LOL'ed at the penis reduction pics folder.:crackup:

19. H8R

Thank you!

I mean if I'm going to post a screen shot I might as well make it a hide and seek. :D

20. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

1st and 3rd photo, looks like the crack could be originating in that notch/cutout in the web?