1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

09 GSXR1000 cranks...fail..

Discussion in 'General' started by ed who?, Oct 5, 2010.

1. PoopsMcGee

PoopsMcGee Well-Known Member

Shouldn't someone start a 'faces of crank' thread?

2. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

+1 I noted that as well

3. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

just double click a few times on the folder...it should open up.

:D

4. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Good one.

What does the Yoshi link do?

5. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

EMPro ECU software.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Cross drilling the cranks has been helping this problem.

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Thats interesting, what is the theory behind this? When I saw this my first thoughts were harmonic issue's.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Oiling more conventionally rather than all from the end. I'm not too much for debating theory in this case, I do know it has been working so far.

That's all I got.

9. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

my issue is they know about it. This is apparent by 3 things.

1. they incorporated a support into the crank end bolt/stator bolt. This was an after thought since its made in form of a bolt, not part of the crank.

2. The reason #1 for going to a short stroke engine (which i am against) was to get more REV's and safer/lower piston speeds. Anyone notice when the bike came out, that claim of "higher rpm/more peak power" ad's dropped and the bikes came with a LOW REV LIMIT for its bore/stroke? Hell its basically the same as the long stroke 2008 engines...

3. The BIG name teams are aware, have had failures and even been asked to lower rev limits. I have spoke to more than 5 top teams running these and all say the same..off record of course.

I just wish Suzi would do what they did in 1990 with the 750...admit the "short stroke" doesnt work and go back to the old config...it worked wonders in 1990...it could again in 2011.... :beer:

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Here is fix :D

photo Stolen from RRW and removed.

11. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I know of a particular euro manufacture that will soon add to the up and coming "faces of crank thread" .

12. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

S1000?

13. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Um... The bearings say, "That crank sure is a swell guy"

14. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Nothing a little bit of JB Weld won't fix :)

15. ed who?

just update. Last month OMRRA Racer Alan Schmidt snapped his 09 GSXR1000 SS build (oem crank) in same location. As far as "cross drilling it" yeah for SBK applications if you believe that process really solves the issue, you could, but in a production or super sport class you couldn't do anyways.

then this month a 3rd one in NW. A 2010 GSXR1000 Sbk (crank was mag'd, lightened slightly, balanced better than oem tolerances, carrillo rods, je pistons, etc) snapped in same spot, only had 4 weekends on it...this one was over 200rwhp. Its a shame. I was talking with another big name engine builder this weekend at AFM races and he admitted "one team" had these same issues more than once.

Guess if Suzuki would just drop price to $250 new we'd throw one in every 3 rounds...oh well another GSXR racer going green for 2012 according to him. Shame he has raced/won for them for last few years often. I hate it cause i love big Suzi's more than any others, but until they bring back the longer stroker setup and old proven crank oiling setup...shit maybe just a support bearing on the end of the crank...us guys with LONG straights cant afford to keep replacing cranks as well as new cases....

Attached Files:

16. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

those pictures make me cringe.

17. ed who?

wow it conitinues.... text i got last night for another OMRRA racer that broke his 2009 GSXR1000, he is pulling it apart himself. stock lower end, ss built top end.

"got engine apart, crank broke at the stator, is this same as you've seen"

YEP...that makes it FOUR 2009+ GSXR1000 cranks up here...3 just in past 4 weeks.

Its not an oiling issue folks, its a BAD/weak design that breaks due to i'd guess the LONGGGGG straight here. Funny how 4 guys with 3 different tuners, 1 sbk, 2 stock, 1 ss built have had cranks snap, i know of a few over in UK and even talking to the wsbk guys at Miller said its common(under his breath of course) but you dont read much about it...

If you look at the 2005-2008 cranks next to a 2009-2011 crank you can see why they are failing there. IMO the best fix besides a new crank is a support bearing IN the case cover, just not the oil seal..its an easy fix for suzuki just a case cover change...add a support bearing with seal...hell maybe ill have Eric Wood make changes to his cover to incorporate a support bearing...

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Hey Eric, is that what happened to Al's motor as well? I know Lanigan was saying he preferred the 07-08 motor to the current gen.

19. ed who?

yes exactly! Alan (who uses RPM for engine building/tuning) snapped his last month.

Again, i too love the 05-08 gens MUCH better...i joked with someone last night about this saying 08 engine in a 05 chassis would be best GSXR1000 ever!

20. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Shit, I am thinking of getting a 09 gsxr 1000.
    Maybe not : (