1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

09 GSXR1000 cranks...fail..

Discussion in 'General' started by ed who?, Oct 5, 2010.

1. got40

got40 On hiatus...

that makes two of us.

The chasis was what was drawing me.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

I haven't heard of any crank failures in the southeast as of yet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity, what are the chances of using an 05-08 crank in the 09 cases? The displacement of the engine is the same, so wouldn't the journal size and spacing be the same?

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What? That big can of Dynodubianum Crank Coating?

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is old post, you missing whole story. That is Yosh illegal crank :)

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I got it, hence my post.:up:

7. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

another 2009 one snapped this weekend. #1 plate holder ALan schmidt broke his 2nd one, he put in a brand new $1000+ crank from suzuki, snapped it with only 1 weekend on it. Thats 5 in Pac NW. maybe its the water up here.

8. ed who?

BTW the engine is 'fixed' for 2012... "new oiling system" aka no more weak spot on the end of the crankshaft..thou they wont word it that way..ha. same engine just now with new (old) design should spin up to 14,500 with empro and stay together. engine swaps in 09-11 chassis but the crank wont swap over im betting due to complex oiling/case changes

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What else has been done to his motor? I'm not seeing that kind of failure anywhere else that I can think of.

10. ed who?

like i said maybe our LONG straight.

Alan's first crank (again i dont build his going off his builders word) was stock lower end with ss top end.

Alans second crank had new oem crank and no c/b (sbk only) lasted 1 wknd

Tony's first crank i built only SS top end, stock lower end

Tony's second crank i built full sbk (rods, crank was ligthened/balanced like the other 100+ we have done for years) lasted half a season

Anthony Manciu ss top end (Valve job, slight compression) and stock lower end. Went full season with original owner and almost full season this year with him before.

I have about 11 of these 09+ GSXR1000's i personally have built racing all over NA and these are only ones i have personally seen break. We have 2 in Canada making well over 190rwhp and zero issues on 2nd year even, in Cali i have the fastest GSXR1000 in AFM and again, zero crank issues going on 2nd season.

The design is WEAK they know it is, thus why they issued the release to teams to NOT run 14,500 and the empro was modified at last min to only allow 14k max rev's. Its happened in BSB i know guys on the team that has had it happen. Also in talking with several TOP guys (wsbk at miller and ama all season) its not a "rare" or "never heard of" thing.. Suzuki is fixing for 2012 so if not a known issue, why change it back/fix?

Again i think the LONGGGG straight here is really compounding the issue. If you take a stock 09+ GSXR1000 stator cover off and look at the oil seal CLOSELY you can see the metal flashing on the seal is oval! Why? Crank is flexing...then it fractures at that weak spot.

NO bike is perfect and im still the biggest GSXR fan and supporter, doesnt mean i dont think folks should be aware of it. I mean we could start a thread about the 08 CBR1000RR piston/oil burn issue..the ZX10R chassis..the R1 issues..etc..

just sharing what we are seeing up here. again i still think the track is playing a roll since all 5 are various riders, various builds, various lap times, etc...

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So no plans to chase the Beemer's HP numbers it sounds like.

12. ed who?

no point! HP aint everything. We had 3-4 competitors in AFM go to the BMW this year and honestly they aren't all that. fast sure..but in the trap speeds we see all them BMW, R1 sbk, GSXR's etc about the same. IMO the chassis on the bmw is not as good as its engine..then of course they too had crank failures at first and still plagued by the random transmission failures.

its like women...they ALL have issues..its just which one looks the best to you, fits you the best and in the end you can put up with the most :crackup: *sorry if offensive...

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd be inclined to agree with you, I was just curious to see if the big 4 would be tempted to chase that carrot just to prove that they can do it......and perhaps do it more reliably than BMW has managed to do it.

14. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Gotta be the front straight, although calgarys is pretty long too

15. ed who?

i agree however we have a 10' GSXR1000 up there too with Pete de Graaf and he's had zero issues in two years with our engine/build.

16. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

That's who I was thinking of. Portland a little longer than Calgary maybe? Who knows? Pete can definitely twist the grip too.

17. ed who?

Hey guys here are some more pics and it should help explain why/how they are breaking.

Pic 1. Full sbk (new oem crank with 4 wknds on it, slightly lightened/balance, no counter balancer, carrillo rods, pistons, etc. @201rwhp)

Pic 2. Full stock oem crank in stock lower end. (untouched from factory, cases never split @172rwhp)

Pic 3. Stock oem crank in stock lower end (ss build, cases split to replace 3/4th gear input only. stock bearings, rods, balancer, etc. @186rwhp)

Pic 4. The oil feed hole that is issue. Looking into the end of the crank, stator side

Pic 5 The red line shows the angle of the oil feed. The red line is a hollow (WEAK) oil feed tunnel.

notice that ALL THREE of these, along with the 2 of Alan's, i confirmed with his engine builder, so 5 total snapped in the SAME EXACT SPOT

Now take into account Suzuki is NOT oiling the crank this way for 2012, ie NO oil feed hole/tunnel there so no more weak spot. You tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

18. ex419

ex419 Well-Known Member

Be happy your not racing an sv650.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Pretty simple, don't race it if you worry about crank snapping. Or be ready to replace it when it does.
    We have same issue with sv and we deal with it.
    Street guys have no problem with crank. Both bikes are sold as street bike so you can't blame suzuki for not throwing you new crank every time somebody breaks it.

20. crnigsxr

crnigsxr Member

love my k6