1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pirellis Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Odilup, Mar 24, 2018.

1. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Road America, end of June/ begIning of July. Warmer pressures on a 2011 GSXR 600?

2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

There will be a Pirelli vendor at MTD track day NCM April 21.

josh7owens likes this.
  3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Start with 33-34f, 24-25r

josh7owens likes this.
  4. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

My speak of the fold over was only on the rear. More of a squat as the tire was loaded coming off apex. I ran the SC2 front at 36 PSI last time and it felt great. Only have 2 sessions on the Pirellis this time but have a long weekend coming up to test out SC2 front with SC1 rear and SC2 rear.

Still chasing Mesa! He has a good 6 seconds on me! That kid is nuts.

Yardape likes this.
  5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Little low in the front. 34-36 is usually a little better range for most racers and track day guys. Our fastest racers are closer to 40psi, like Jeff said, depending on track, compound and conditions.

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Fair enough, you do this for a living :) Is it true your fastest racers (at the high end of your range) need the support in braking that the average track guy or even AM doesn't need? Would they be better off in the low end of the range?

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

"Better off" is subjective. Some "almost really fast" racers are actually asking more of the tire than "actual really fast" guys at times and need more psi for structural stability. Sometimes.

We can offer a range of pressures on our board trackside that will work for most guys at most paces, but as much as the question becomes repetitive on race weekends or when I'm trackside for a track day, I'm always open to that question. The fact that we're collecting data from so many different riders and racers on different motorcycles with different riding styles at different paces is what makes the psi recommendations effective.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hi Josh 7 Owens
    It's great you are planning so far ahead and it looks like this is a ASRA/CCS Road America round in like 90 or so days? But as this is in the Farrell's Performance back yard I'd suggest you consult with them FIRST as they are happy to help racers, and you can reach Jason at 1- 800 get fast. And please check out the attached tire spec sheet for guidance for air pressures, etc..

But if you need me at Road A it's right across the lake from me but I'll need funds to the take the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc. And I'll be happy to assist since I'm retired now. My consulting fee is 900 a day plus expenses. I'll cover the gas to get there and home and be your personal tire guy at the track. If this sounds good please book me a suite in the American Club in Kohler for Friday and Saturday night. I'll buy dinner for you and the crew Saturday after golf at the Blackhawk course late Saturday afternoon. Then Sunday I'll head home after the races where I'm sure you will do fantastic. :D:D

Attached Files:

notbostrom likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hi

Reading this for the second time I still thought you were speaking of the front tire and not about the rear? Anyway Pirelli tires are different than the other brands and I could take days to explain. So with brand X here in the US they want/suggest you to run 19-22 hot in the rear and if you do that with Pirelli you will get squat or fold over. You need run what we suggest to minimize this along with a good suspension. So 23 t0 26 hot is where you need to be if all things are equal. Hope this helps

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to go into consulting :D

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Me too!!! Screw this forklift stuff.

12. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Thanks for the offer, I think. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve won enough ekarting money “from kids” to afford or justify a $2000 weekend on a tire guy. Maybe Brome can afford that or some other guys can but that’s alittle out of my level of commitment.

Last time I was there I was on the Pirelli slicks and haven’t ran DOTs there so that’s what prompted all the questions. I haven’t rode my bike in about 9 months and that will be my first event of the year. I’m sure I’ll be one of the slow guys.

How would it look to be a mid-pack amateur class rider with a $2000 tire guy?

sbk1198 and Odilup like this.
  13. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate on this squat and fold over stuff? I always would struggle with my sc1 rear doing that slipping and gripping thing where the biking starts to kind of pogo stick sideways while driving out of corners. It didn't kill my drive in reference to the guys I was next to on track and I knew it would happen so I didn't investigate it to much but it always was there.

14. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Interested in the same information. Last year I ran a Pirelli slick, switching to the DOT this year so I can race, I’m curious if their is a handling difference. On the slick I only experienced this pogo stick sideways thing once or twice and was when I was being aggressive with the throttle on corner exit. (Maybe I’m just slow) I just chalked it up to the rear starting to slip so my reaction was to hold that throttle input and let the tire hook back up before continuing to roll into WOT. I didn’t think it was just the rear squating and I may of needed more rear tire pressure?

Being a motorcycle racing forum this seems like prime content to discuss and debate but apparently people just want to send me their PayPal information or offer their services before answering any questions. So much for helping out the new people, screw them, they got to pay for that info apparently in this sport.

Chalk it up to another reason motorsports have been dying the last 20 years.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um you setup a booth and charge $100-200 per consultation for your fellow track day peeps from the $2,000 tire guy?

badmoon692008 and sbk1198 like this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Or you just piss and moan that someone's time and expertise has value and they expect to be compensated for wasting it on you...

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Yes because writing a 5 min reply on a public forum that could help several people in the present and future is asking to much from a guy that claims he wants to contribute to the community. He deserves compensation for his time.

I guess this sport really is only for the super rich that feel like anything they say or do is worth some sort of momentary value. I guess I just grew up in a more southern area where a lot of people don’t have a lot of money and are willing to give their time and knowledge to help out any way they can.

I’m thankful to not feel that all of my time is monetized and I’m more then willing to help anyone in need or pass on knowledge that’s been passed on to me.

Isn’t that how you grow the sport? Educate and help the people around you and get them involved in the sport.

I hope one day I have Brome money where I can just throw money at all my problems or questions to fix them. It must be really nice.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Geezus, get a vacuum and get all the sand out of your vagina. You already got the answer you needed, there is a trackside vendor who will almost always simply tell you this stuff if you just walk up and ask or call/email in advance. Nobody knows what conditions are going to be like three months from now and it's simply easier to get the info from the local expert. They are just messing with you on hiring a damn tire guy.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You grow the sport by not acting like an entitled cunt.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

bingo ^^
    bingo again ^
    .. missed the one 4 posts up.. bingo :)

TurboBlew likes this.