1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried it, an iPhone X

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 13, 2018.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My coworker has this, he calls it the "Planet Killer":
    [​IMG]

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You must be the salesman in one of those little mall kiosks right? You have to purchase the phone then the data packages, holy shit I've talked to people with 200$ a month bills for a fucking phone. The techno is sucking the smart right out of people in my opinion.

3. Im still keeping my iPhone 8, and see no reason to upgrade.

I always think I want a new one, because new shit. Then I get it, and I do EXACTLY the same shit that I did with the damn original iPhone.

I play on the internet, send texts, use the flashlight, and take pictures. That's it. So I see no reason to need to change it unless I break it again.

pscook likes this.
  4. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Apple was a non-starter for me just on morals for using a damn non-standard connector for no awesome reason.

BigBird likes this.
  5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

@pickled egg

6. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have been on the fence about dumping my iPhone, tired of iPhoto and iTunes(half of my dam music seems to go missing randomly), they just don't seem to work as I need them too. I recently downloaded google photos, crazy smooth organization without asking and lots of cool little suggestions for certain photos. Little unsure about how Google is into everyone's business behind the scenes but I only use music, email, text, nav, and calendar. Actually, not sure why I even have a damn smartphone. My bill is stupid with 4 people all with unlimited data. I could buy two motorcycles with what I pay to Verizon.

7. That's actually a valid point.

As a phone, it is no better than an oldass flipphone.

But it is also a computer, TV, Playstation, kickass camera and video recorder, day-planner, alarm clock, ipod, GPS unit, calculator, flashlight, watch, book, calendar, boarding pass, wallet, pedometer, notepad, bill payment center, home security monitor, etc.

I reckon we do kinda take for granted everything we do with it. Basically our whole life is (or can be) ran through the phone. So when you look at it like that, it puts a little more perspective on the price. When you figure you are paying for something that manages your entire life, it makes it seem easier.

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Again, if you view it as a phone and tend to only use it as a phone, it is insanely expensive. If you look at 2000-2003 or there about as I gave as the example (15 years ago) a portable DVD player cost ~ $1,000 and did absolutely nothing without buying every individual piece of content. 1080 plasma screens started at over $10k and you couldn't even play video games on them without burning them in. Garmin/TomTom - $300 plus a data subscription. Digital camera - the Elf and all the pocket sized desirable ones were about $4-500 and required the purchase of memory SD cards and a computer with a USB port.

9. How does that face shit work if it is pitch black (like it usually is when I grab my phone)?

Can you turn that shit off and use the thumb thing?

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I dislike apple for a lot of reasons, and don't own an I-phone. However, the rest of my family drinks the Kool-Aid and the Apple charger connector is better.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No. It's a computer, TV, Playstation, kickass camera and video recorder, day-planner, alarm clock, ipod, GPS unit, calculator, flashlight, watch, book, calendar, boarding pass, wallet, pedometer, notepad, bill payment center, home security monitor, etc. that has phone capabilities. :D

12. True. :D

...and the phone capabilities are the ones I take the least advantage of. :crackup:

I think my plan is 700 minutes, and I rollover at least 690 of them every month. :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. I prefer Android, but I currently use an iPhone.

I had the first 4 iPhones, then swapped to Droid. But then when I went to shorebased superintendent, my company got me an iPhone as my work phone. It got aggravating swapping back and forth between the 2. I kept fucking up because of how they work different. Even simple shit like texts, internet, sending pictures etc works different. So I bit the bullet and went back to the iPhone at home.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Fuck Apple. Fuck Google.

That is all. :D

Sabre699, BigBird and Banditracer like this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Here old fella this should work for you:
    [​IMG]
    Now sit and drink your warm milk. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Does the stage lighting bs give you light for selfie type shots? I've been wanting to get some of the new puppy sleeping on my shoulder but never have enough light and if I turn on the lights he of course moves. Although I'm looking more at the 8 than the X...

Did look at the buy and 8 and get one free but that means a new line on our account - which would work because I could nuke the line I have going to the 5 Emily uses for scoring. But then I'd have to figure out a way to either forward Evelynes number to the new 8 and get Emily one of the 6's or see if a straight sim swap would work.

17. A better reason to pay $1,200 for a new phone has never existed. :D

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  18. It works perfect in no light, the screen illuminates your face enough to unlock. Hell the facial recognition works so well that even working in the clean room at work it still detects my face with a beard/hair net on but no one else can unlock it.

My 7plus ended up with an extremely smashed screen and ATT ended up giving me an X as a replacement. I have zero complaints, the phone works pretty flawlessly. I could give a shit about arguing about what phone OS or hardware is better or worse though.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I had to do something like that with T-mobile, and as I recall, it was just moving the sim card. Dial 611 on your phone and ask support, you probably have business support and they are usually very quick with the answers.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's the strange irony.....most of the people I see with them DON'T use them as a phone. In fact they almost shy away from actual voice calling anyone in favor of txt'ing or communicating through some other social media platform.

The smartphone in its current incarnation is far from a phone. Its a pandora's box of dopamine hits that come in the form of various social media content that gets streams straight into these people's frontal cortex. It's basically an eDrug dealer.

BigBird, Banditracer and Steeltoe like this.