1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried it, an iPhone X

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is funny thinking about it, back in the days of tethering a Sidekick or something in that era I wound up with a grand for a phone bill because I didn't watch how much I used (long before they'd text you that you were close).... And now I'm whining in my head about a grand for a phone that does more than the laptops of the time did for double the money :crackup:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I actually agree - like I said earlier, I've paid as much or close to it for worse cameras.

3. Can you turn it off and use the thumb thing? Or do you HAVE to use the faceshit?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This is a little different than buying an unlocked phone though. But yeah, I'll hit them up and see.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have to use your face or code - but the face can't be any harder than getting your thumb at the right angle.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. You can do both. Just tap the screen and you can enter your passcode. But yes you can turn it off, it’s not mandatory. There is no thumb print on the X.

7. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

The new cams coming out on the iPhone X, Pixel 2, etc. are a game changer IMO. Broome mentioned getting new phones and doing the same shit all the time, the new phone tech to me constitutes a a true next gen leap in smartphones this time. It's not just the next one because its a new year.

My Pixel 2 can take the picture my eye sees at night and portrait mode has kept my lady from making us do a photoshoot with the baby.

stk0308 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do you have case covers for those? :D

BigBird likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmm, 8+ has the same camera.

10. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

The hate on Apple reminds me alot of the Uccio hate. I guess iPhone users aren't real cell phone users either, right?

Anyways, anyone that isn't an iPhone user will still hate it. Just like using a non-iOS device is annoying to me. I keep the phone well past the 2 years of payments so the price doesn't bother me. My GF and I got the BOGO deal when I moved over to Verizon so it averages out to $800 for each phone. That's still an ass ton but the days of buying an iPhone for $400 went away when the subsidies did but then again, the monthly service rates are now down around $50 for a multiple line unlimited data plan.

As for the iPhone X it's the best one yet. Not sure how any older iPhone user would have a problem with the way it works. The face ID works 90% of the time which is about double the F-in fingerprint ID on my last one. I hate the size of the plus and this gives the screen size of the plus in the frame of the non-plus. For me, adapting to no home button went way better than I would have thought. All motions seem obvious to navigate. It's pretty damn fast too.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do!

[​IMG]

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's a good point, even doing a payment it's still less for unlimited data and 4 phones than I was paying 2 years ago on 3 a 6gb shared.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Love my X too. And the camera definitely rocks! I also have nothing but praise for it. I really like the cordless charging.... (I know others have had it for a while, shit I'm still riding bikes with points!)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmmm, looking like the X is the only one with the lighting for the front camera. Does make the whole can I put the 6 plus card in the 8 think a moot point.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I hate the dongle, but for reasons that are very very low use case.

The dongle contains a tiny DAC that sucks. The output quality isnt great and it seems worse than previous iPhones w/ the headphone jack. Plus, it'll only play nice with MFi certified headsets and produces a loud clicking noise on anything else. You can't use a better mic into a splitter with headphones anymore. On top of all that, some software still isnt setup to use a good external DAC through the Lightning port. so if you want to create good audio/video content w/ an iPhone, you are likely hosed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    BigBird likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Can you translate that?

:crackup:

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He doesn't like Apple. I have an older set of Klipsch ear buds with speaker for answering calls and I have observed none of what he said above.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The phone doesn't need any light to unlock, not even from the screen.

The facial recognition projects 30,000 infrared dots onto your face and the module analyzes that data in real time.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got that part but no clue on the DAC or MiFi stuff :D

Off to the googles....

20. I didn’t know that, it works better than the thumb scanner and that’s all I care about.

NemesisR6 likes this.