1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried it, an iPhone X

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The stage lighting feature for portrait mode doesn't "provide" additional light. It uses a software algorithm to recognize the facial features and alter the photo to look like it is getting light from a dedicated source. It is supposed to mimic how you would get a shot using something like OCF (off-camera flash) in a real studio setting, but sadly there is a BIG difference between what software can do (even with modern tech) versus what a proper lighting setup can.

It's kind of like the depth-of-field/bokeh effect that they can do with the dual-lenses on the phone........it can do an admirable job of simulating something that happens with the optics of a real lens, but a good eye can easily tell the difference.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

DAC = digital to analog converter, a tiny chip that converts regular analog audio into a digital signal. if u plug headphones into a headphone jack, the DAC is inside the device. if your headphones are USB or Lightning, the DAC is inside the headphones.
    MFi = Apple's certification, making sure 3rd party devices work w/ their hardware. sometimes devices still work when not MFI certified, other times they don't.

I write iOS apps for a living. I don't hate Apple. Ive researched this extensively and know the ins and outs of most of it.

I also produce a podcast and youtube content. Some production is done with iPhones. Everything worked great until an older phone had to be replaced. Now I've found unsolvable issues caused by the dongle and lack of headphone jack.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool. So I guess my next question is - does the new camera do better in low light than the 6?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah gotcha. So the headphones or other item you're using needs to have a better setup since Apple took out the converter.

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

They do. Blackberry KeyOne, and maybe still have the Priv.

6. NemesisR6

Oh, absolutely. I also upgraded from the 6 and the difference is pretty astounding.

7. stangmx13

somewhat. if you are using great analog headphones (1/8" plug) into the dongle, audio quality is probably limited by the dongle. if you are using digital headphones that use a Lightning cable, the audio quality is exactly as that manufacturer intended, good or bad. a great set of Lightning headphones is prob your best bet for listening to music.

all this is my audiophile nitpicking side kicking in. the dongle is probably good enough for more people, especially with audio output. the big issues don't really arise until u try to start recording with it and want to use a better mic.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. Funny how that's more on the list of things they do on top of being a phone :D I remember Evelyne advising Dave Swarts to buy a little recorder when he started reporting, now you just pull out your phone.

9. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I upgraded from 7S to X last fall, and I couldn't be happier. Took a day or two to get used to not having Home button, but that was it. Battery life is incredible compared to previous, camera is fantastic, big beautiful screen, wireless charging is pretty cool. I just love it. Not cheap, but totally worth it IMO.

10. stangmx13

$1200 is cheap for a top-of-the-line device that does nearly everything a laptop can do plus some extras. every new iPhone gets a brand new processor and a host of other hardware upgrades. imagine how expensive a laptop would be if u had to buy the one that came with the latest-and-greatest everything. I bought nearly the best MacBook Pro in Dec and it was $3000.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Coming from a G6 with a 32-bit Quad DAC and etymotic earphones, made the X with dongle sound like pure trash.

Face recognition didn't work with me well or my wife, and the finger print on my LG is near instantaneous and 99% of the time I get in, worse case scenario is that I draw a shape and i'm in. Having to punch in a pin code when the phone is flat on the table is a pain too. And forget if I have a hood or hat on since I live up here where it snows and stuff.

Notifications are never clear, even you check the app that the notification came from, which is pretty stupid. You notified me, I checked, yet the notification is still there. And it's each individual notification, not a group like Android does. hey you have 5 new messages. Check gmail, the notifications are gone.

Camera is good, but it's not great in low light, could be me since I'm used to using a DSLR in low light, so the X looks pixalated on the the computer screen. But yeah, at this point, I think if you've had a phone for a while in a certain ecosystem, it's hard to switch between the two, at least to me.

13. I take nothing you say seriously Capitan Caravan.

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I feel you

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's not better than USB Type-C.

16. stangmx13

FR will prob work great for u in a year as it accumulates more data on your face.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

oh well...it's going back tonight..maybe in the never future :D

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have a pair of QC35s and some Bower and Wilkins P7.

Wired is better for sound quality. I use both.

Dongles can DIAF.

BigBird likes this.
  19. NemesisR6

Pfft.....should't take that long. Mine's worked flawlessly from day 1.

I've tried to fool mine on numerous occasions. With/without beard, hat, hoodie, sunglasses, combinations of each..........always works.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay that's too funny, read the last few posts thinking y'all meant facetubes (FB) not FR :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.