1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried it, an iPhone X

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

and it's so bad, that my wife, a owner of 4 generations of iPhone said take it back, and she'll try out an Android phone again. I've been Android since Day 1 and tried iOS with an open mind, since well it was a lot of money invested, and I thought that I was in it for the long haul.

Well once she said take the phones back, I knew it just wasn't me. (thankfully still within the 14 day return period) Apple does a lot of weird stuff where notifications are more a history trail than actual notifications, and you can't mess with the volume of things independently, and whole bunch more of other things. It is a OK phone, once you actually are allowed to get into it, face id is dumb and then having to put the code when it doesn't recognize you (most times), whereas the fingerprint is much easier. For $1250 after tax, definitely no phone is worth that, so lesson learned, and my LG G6 has similar specs, was out 6 months before and is a hell of lot less annoying.

gixxerboy55 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sinner!

R Acree and BigBird like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Apple says come join us and quit complaining.

[​IMG]

4. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Huh, to each his own I suppose....I recently had to get a new phone when my 7 plus decided to stop working. I couldn't receive or make phone calls without having to turn the phone off/on again, and the dock was broken as well so couldn't use the headphone jack for anything but charging..I have that get a new iPhone plan so I went with the X and I really like it.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think my wife's breaking point was have to use a dongle to listen to her headphones, which she loses every other week, so we have multiple pairs in the house at all times. There's also a big delay when trying to get into the phone. I changed the setting where you don't have to look at the phone directly, but still a PITA.

Our new V30s are awesome.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've been an iPhone user for a good several years now and have been holding onto my 6 until its no longer reasonably usable anymore (its still fine for me). But I would definitely avoid the X and just get the 8. $1200 for a damn phone is ridiculous.

Hotfoot, jonathanp and BigBird like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

She said if we didn't get new phones her 6s+ is more than fine, especially since they changed the battery recently.

8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I have been contemplating an Android lately. I am getting fed up with Apple products. Constant updates and layout changes are starting to annoy me. And if you ignore the updates, you start to get “glitches” until you install them.

Dern would still be using a Blackberry if they made one with an actual keyboard.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Apple's too busy looking for the next feature to rip off from others to care.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I would have bet good money that Bird was an Apple disciple.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

$200 for a phone is ridiculous. Is this just a fad or is it just me? People really need to be that connected with each other? I can't stand most people to begin with, no reason to give them a direct route to annoy me further. :D

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Well, my Droid turbo battery will no longer hold a charge longer than two hours. Went to the Verizon store for possible solutions.

Ended up buying a tablet on sale for $50. Linked with my cell number, I can place calls on that.

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It's an insane amount of money if you think of it as a phone.

It's like 95% off sale if you think about 2003 and your world changing iPod, 1080 plasma tv, digital camera, candy bar cell phone, home phone, laptop, desktop, Garmin/TomTom GPS and so on. And that doesn't even touch the content available for free on that device vs what you paid for content in 2003.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I do not like the X. My 6 was dying and I got the 8. The headphone thing does bother me too, I keep a dongle attached to each of my ear buds and ended up getting bluetooth headphones because of it.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm seriously considering an 8 or the X for the camera. I've spent that kind of money on cameras in the past that weren't as good, didn't have any internal memory, and didn't do remotely close to the things these computers can do.

They are worth the money, there is no arguing that at all. It's just deciding if I want to spend that kind of money on this particular computer/GPS/camera/phone/gameboy/etc...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The headphone thing is funny to me only because I have never used headphones on my phone for more than music occasionally and the dongle being in the headphone case wouldn't bother me a bit. It would go right with the plane adapters :D

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Dongle - it will be unavoidable very soon on all devices. The new Pixel 2 also requires one.

Camera - I have not used the X but people love it. I'd argue the Pixel 2 is better side by side, but really they are both amazing.

stk0308 likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:stupid:
    And it seems to be the providers that are the most annoying, spammin' every other week with deals. I already bought your damn phone, now STFU!

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I got the X at launch and have nothing but praise. Lightning fast, face ID works perfectly in an amazing number of different scenarios, battery life is excellent, camera is incredible (except for the gimmicky portrait "stage lighting" modes).

If you are still tethered to headphone jacks and wired earbuds you really need to experience the freedom that some of the new bluetooth sets provide. They have come a LONG way in the last year or so.

Full disclaimer, I did have an issue about 2 months into ownership when the SIM card was throwing errors and dropping calls, even after Verizon replaced it. Went to the Apple store and they replaced it with a brand new unit on the spot. No issues since.