1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero-turn mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 21, 2013.

1. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I've got an 028AV that I recently cleaned up that my dad used when I was a kid and it starts the same way today and I'm 36.

New 20" bar and chain combo and the chips are flying. The older Stihl stuff rocks.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Out of your range by about 4k but Ferris is the only way to go http://www.ferrisindustries.com/us/en/

. In your range go with another Snapper. And don't buy from a box store. Go support your local small engine dealer. They are the guys that you will go to for service and parts so build a relationship. Support the small guys just like you support the local motorcycle shops.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Except for the chain-adjust mechanism. The thing on on my 50 year-old 028 FB is hinky (compared to my 25 y.o. 044 anyway).

4. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

5. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

Also, new to the market this year check out the Hustler Raptor. Fabricated deck and also Kawasaki engine.

6. BrianC636

True...not a fan of that but it's 30 years old...I can't complain too much. :D

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

From what I've read in consumer reports the newer Cub Cadets are junk. I think MTD makes them now. I would steer clear of them. I've seen a few zero turns for reasonable money on craigslist once in a awhile.

8. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

I bought a used 2008 60" Gravely 260Z in 2009 (still had a year of warranty) with 130 hours on it. Has a Kohler 30 HP motor in it. Cuts at 13 mph. Been flawless. Cuts my 3+ acres in less than 2 hours. And that's with lots of trees to cut around. Paid $3000 for it. Landscaping company going out of business sold on CL to me.

I watch my neighbor cut HALF of his lawn with a small HD lawn tractor in more time than that. He only does around his house. Has a company to the rest every couple of months. Painful watching him crawl around on it. Lol

9. chas

chas Well-Known Member

When I bought my place 7 years ago my neighbor told me to buy a zero turn. I didn't. After 2 garden tractors, I went with the zero turn. Cut my mowing from 4 hours down to 2 hours on just under 5 acres. Trimming is less time, as is the push mower to do finish work. I should have listened to the old local boy 7 years ago. Toro is decent, but what ever you get for $2500 isn't going to be top of the line. If that's you budget, go with it. Just expect to buy parts here and there and learn to fix things on your own. I went with a Cub cadet, which like all the stuff sold at HD and lowes is made by MTD. If you want top quality go with Dixie chopper, or a true commercial level toro, cub cadet, JD, etc. but for 2 acres, the HD and lowes stuff should work fine.

10. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

The Big Box stores usually get a cheaper model... compare the full model number between the small business store and the Big Box store.. That said, if the unit is not beat up and had some normal servicing, it will last OK. Sometimes the cheaper model has a cheaper design mower deck.. some folks can't tell the difference and some can... Like my Daddy always said... ya get what ya pay for...

I just pay someone to do my yard now... no need to use my body up for that crap...

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I had a Poulan 42" 14 hp from Home Depot. It was poo, typical AYP (American yard products) crap.

12. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on this topic. I bought a property with 5 acres a little over a year ago. I searched around and found what i thought to be the best value with the right components and the right price, a BadBoy ZT50 with a Kawasaki motor. It's been a great mower.

All that being said, I know wish I would have spent even more on a bigger model. It's like an air compressor, if you're buying one get the biggest one you can afford. Better to have more than you need than to want more.

13. discoduc2

discoduc2 "shift wanker shift"

Just replaced my 12 year old JD SSt with the new Cub Cadet RZTS ..it is the tits..cut my cutting time in half acre and half...plus cub have great finacing right now..why use ur own money

14. mattdeez

mattdeez Well-Known Member

Im a Toro, Hustler Turf, and John Deere dealer. I strongly suggest the Timecutter SS4235 for the money. Hustler has the Raptor in a 42 for $2799

If you buy something has a Kawasaki engine, they carry a 3 year warranty. All Briggs and Kohlers are only 2 years FYI

Toro the most bang for the buck. Contact me if you have any questions or visit my website dowlingtractor.com
    :up:

you can finance Toro and Hustler products for 0% for 48 months.

Cub= junk
    Exmark too expensive
    Troybilt= mega junk
    Craftsman=Troybilt
    MTD/Poulan/Yardman=junk

Buy something from a good dealer. That is most important. I have lots of customers who cannot get any support for their 'box store' products.
    Its just like motorcycles, you don't buy them from Lowes. You buy them from dealership.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Kohler has 3 year consumer and commercial warranties on their Command Pro engines. The Courage Pro engines are 2 year residential and 1 year commercial. I am a Kohler distributor for Western Canada.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  16. mattdeez

mattdeez Well-Known Member

most of the products he's considering have the Courage engine. not 3 years.

17. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

What is your opinion on Toro SS4260 Vs. Hustler Raptor? Both 42" with Kawasaki's.

18. BrianC636

BadBoy is a customer of mine. They make good stuff and put a lot of effort into making a quality product.

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

That Toro is the one I'll probably pick up next week. From a Toro dealer 5 mins from the house. $2599, and they told me about the financing. And it does have the kawi engine. I've been reading the kawi is the one to get. I've always used a bagger, but since that is a $500 option, I'm curious of your thoughts on the mulching kit. My front yard is a beautifully manicured bermuda sod, and I really don't like the look of dead clippings. How well does the mulching system work on that model?

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My 1977 Craftsman lawn tractor has soildered on for 34 years mowing 5 acres, hitting the occassional stump and mowing more rocks than on the surface of the moon. That being said, it's time to lay the old girl to rest. How do the zero turn jobs handle side hills? I'd love to get a 72" job but I need to make sure I can mow my side hills.