1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero-turn mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 21, 2013.

1. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Cub Cadet=MTD. Cub was good when IH owned them, but now they are average at best. I just replaced the drive belt on my lawn tractor. Drive BELT. IMHO, this is crap engineering. When I replace it, I'm going for a used Kubota or grey market Honda diesel tractor.

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We buy Kubota and Stihl. No complaints with either. That being said, you won't be cutting your lawn with a Kubota for $2500. We have the ZD28 diesel zero and a T2080 traditional mower. Different jobs for each. The zero will cut acres and look like a golf course. The traditional is for the wife to keep the yard at home looking decent. Buy something that a dealer can work on and stand behind. That is why we buy orange in our family.

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Contact Anne Roberts.She owns a landscaping company,she might be able to point you in the right direction

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Yeah that will be the day, any man who gets advice about lawn mowers from a woman gets their card pulled.

:D

5. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup:

I picked up my Toro this afternoon. Cut the yard in 1/3 the time i normally takes. This thing rocks! (altho i will say there is a stiff learning curve with these damn levers)

7. Cam Morehead

Bahahaha. $10 says he ran over something..... Have fun bro.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If you are talking about the gas powered stuff I must concede the point, I haven't a clue. For the diesel stuff I (and 14 gazillion other people on the tractor forums) would say my experience is definitely the norm.

I don't care why they pulled the dealership. They stuck the saws in a box store and a rental place, neither of which know one thing about saws. I prefer a place where I can walk in with a 460 that won't crank, tell the guy I am in a bind and get the "come back in three hours" answer. Not the blank look and "What am I supposed to do with this? Tell you what, I have a sale on the MS270 this week, let me make you a deal!".

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Fair enough, but as a distributor I like to have dealers that pay their bills. Not that the dealer didn't, but Sthil usually if very loyal to their dealers.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Again, I have no clue why they moved the dealership, nor do I care. I do know they loaded up the shelves with Husky equipment the next day. My question is do I stay with Stihl that has been great equipment or go with Husky and the dealer that can actually service the equipment? Or I guess I could say hell with both and buy some 99 dollar Chinese saws off Ebay. :D

11. backcountryme

If the dealer is strong then stick with him. I get a bit worried when I see dealers getting lines pulled. That usually is not a good sign.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

Usually means the dealer screwed something up bad. Sadly that could be paperwork crap and not have anything to do with the people actually working on the products.

13. Cam Morehead

I have 3 Stihl saws and 2 weed eaters. One saw gave some little issues from day one. I took it back and the dealer fixed all three issues and did not charge me. I have had 1 of 5 Kubotas have an issue. Factory installed a bent fuel tank. Once again, the same dealer fixed it for free. It is all about the relationship. Buy something that your LOCAL dealer will stand behind. I buy products based on Consumer Reports and local service. Oh, and if you have MS270's on sale, I may want one..... ha ha ha....:p

14. ToddClark

:crackup: nope, didnt run over anything, but since my back yard is my "go to hell" grass, thats where i went to cut first and "practice". It looked like a drunk sailer for the first few passes, but by the time i was done with the back, straight lines and holy CRAP was this thing cutting fast!! I got front and back done in 1/3 the time it usually takes. I'm digging this thing!

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Which model did you end up going with and did you get the mulching stuff?

16. ToddClark

Time Cutter SS4235

And yes, i just installed the mulching/recycling kit this afternoon. I cut my yard on Sunday so it'll be a week or so before i get a chance to see how the mulching kit does.

17. backcountryme

Don't let your grass get much longer then a half inch or so if you are mulching. To much grass and you won't be able to mulch for crap. To much grass for the deck to cut.

18. ToddClark

Yep, very well aware of that. Been cutting grass and done the mulching thing many times in the last 40+ years. :up: