1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero-turn mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 21, 2013.

1. mattdeez

mattdeez Well-Known Member

I really think that the Toro is better especially the SS4260, its the premium version of the Timecutter, includes arm rests and larger seat, hourmeter, floor mat, rear engine guard, and Kawasaki engine, also is has the height of cut pedal which allows you to quickly raise the deck while mowing.

The Raptor is a watered down Hustler. I currently own a 52" Raptor and I've had 2 50" timecutters previous to that. The Raptor is fine, is has a welded deck but that all. No bells no whistles. Truthfully, the material thickness of the Raptors deck is no more than the stamped decks on the Timecutter. Unless, your lawn has large bare spots where there is dirt only, should you seek out a machine with a thicker deck.

Regarding warranty, the Raptor is 3 years, but 3rd year is parts only!

Toro is 3 years parts and labor.

Both Companies have been making lawnmowers longer than any of the others, including John Deere. Hustler was the first zero turn. Toro was the first to put gas engines on lawnmowers. Both American made and not owned by a 'parent' company that is rewarming an old brand name(cub cadet).

I still believe Toro is most for the money, especially in the residential market. FYI Toro owns Exmark--which cost more and you are not getting more.

Also, both Hustler and Toro have simple designs that are easy to maintain--very important to me. The fewer moving parts, the better off you are. Oh, btw cut quality is EXCELLENT on both Toro and Hustler. Buy the Toro.

2. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

I have a John Deere M653 commercial grade 54" ZTR mower. I actually enjoy mowing. Good luck in your search.

3. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info! :up:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With good blade speed the mulching blades kick ass on my tractor style - I can't imagine the Toro being worse than that. Yeah if it's really long I'll have some lines of cut grass but if I mow it regularly the clippings disappear. I even use it for leaves, chops em up and I'm done.

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

ive just read mixed reviews on this particular one for the Toro. I have a feeling the ones that give it bad reviews are letting their grass get too tall tho, and i dont think any mulching blade works well on tall thick grass (at least none of the ones ive tried on other mowers has).

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah none of them will do it right if it's too tall, well, unless you're moving at slower than a walking pace. Our yard is weird with Bermuda out front and assorted grasses and weeds all different all over the place so nothing grows at the same rate. Add in where the leech field is growing 5x quicker than anywhere else and the mulching blades never worked on that patch, always had some cut grass that would pile up in rows if I let it go longer than a week or two tops (I also never sharpened the blades often enough either). However it wasn't that difficult to hit that again after I got done with the rest and chop it smaller. I also think the Toro stuff will work better than the HDJD.

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Zero turns don't like side hills. It is because they have caster wheels on the front. They are all about the same. Ferris is a little better because of the coil suspension. It allows the wheels to track the ground without bouncing. But on the overall it really depends on how steep the hill is.

8. backcountryme

If you are going to mulch you should not let your grass get more then about 3/4 inch longer then you want the finished cut height to be. Also you have to be diligent to keep the blades sharp and the deck clean. And never try to mulch right after it rains. Let the yard dry out first.

9. mattdeez

Mulching. A. you need more than just mulching blades. B.There are different baffles that should be installed on the deck that helps isolate the blades, trapping material for multiple cuts before it falls back to the turf. Mulch kits are available for all Toro mowers. Mulching will slow down your mowing speed if you let it grow very long between cuttings. If you maintain the lawn regularly, mulching is the only way to go. Benefits are smaller clippings that break down faster(free composte), not material discharging from the side(safer)

10. ToddClark

Yea, I saw the kit with all the stuff that needs to be attached to the underside of the deck. @ $139, it seems a bit pricey, but thats probably what I'll get.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well worth it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's an even better setup than mine (blades and a block for the discharge along with a skirt for the front and back of the deck, nothing between the blades). Sounds really nice.

13. backcountryme

Yeah, Our Ferris ZTs have full mulch kits with the baffles and all. They make a huge difference.

14. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

What about Simplicity mowers? I know they used to be a good quality product but were bought out a few times over the years, at one point the employees bought back the company, but most recently bought again by Briggs & Stratton & moved their factory out of Wisconsin to somewhere in the south (nttawwt...)

I remember they had something going with full rollers across the back of the deck, giving the lawn a nice groomed look, just like they get at ballparks. Also led to less chance of 'scalping'.

Do they still make a good machine?

15. mattdeez

simplicity. i don't have much experience with, their lawn tractors are little spendy, I know nothing about the ZTRs. the rollers you are reffering to are lawn stripers. not a very popular option. looks cool, but most folks are not willing to pay the extra for it.

If you a have really strong dealer for them, I would say go for it. If your dealer appears he/she might be struggling to keep the lights on, I would probably move on, especially if he is the only game in town.

16. backcountryme

I am a Simplicity Distributor for Western Canada. They still make a great machine. They are a touch more expensive but that is because they are a premium product. The rollers are still on the decks. The higher end Simplicity ZTs are made by Ferris (another B&S power products company along with Snapper). Simplicity now has several tractors with rear suspension. They are a great mower that takes the pressure off your ass and back.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Since we're having a deck measuring contest mine is 60".
    I've got the Bad Boy, even has a spoiler on the back.

18. ToddClark

i was looking at those when i was looking for the mulching kit. Hell, theyre about the same price as the mulching kit, and i'm considering getting that for this one, just gonna wait and see how well it does with my lawn first.

this is the front, and the back is almost 3 times that size (but its everything from weeds, to fescue to bermuda amd everything between)

[​IMG]
    20130522_194716 by AtlantaR6, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    20130522_194656 by AtlantaR6, on Flickr

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Just get some cows.....

20. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike Well-Known Member