1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero-turn mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by ToddClark, May 21, 2013.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hey, have you been spying on me!:p

By zero-turn, you do mean the kind that you have to drive with both arms, a la Bobcat style, correct?

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It cut way down on trimming also because the way it circles around trees and flower beds.

Check out the Dixie Chopper 72" with the twin 25hp motors if you need to cover some flat ground.:eek: I'm told it cuts at 18mph.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Why can I picture you grunting like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor from Home Improvement as you typed this? :D

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

I know you don't want a walk behind but my 33" cub cadet walk behind is a POS. I am power washing it tonight and putting it up on craigs in hopes I can get 50% of what I paid and get as mall 0 turn. Thing has broke 2 of the control cables in 2 years. Like I have less tahn 60 total hours in the 2 years I've owned it, and it's been broke twice and almost impossible to use in the week it was down each time.

I've heard the same thing about a lot of their stuff after reading more up on it. I thought it was cool cuz it was built in Ohio where I live, but I'd rather have a chinese built POS I paid 1/2 of what I did, then what I have now.

I'm interested to hear what you go with and how you like it, we're looking to upgrade our land to an acre or more and figure might as well get what I want now.

5. odell2115

odell2115 Well-Known Member

Home Depot sells Ariens, which is rebranded Gravely.

I just switched to their 60", 25hp zero turn model from my old 48" craftsman. I reduced my mowing time to nearly a third. It was expensive, but I feel like paid to have my weekends back.

While I can't enjoy my adult beverage as easily because it takes both hands to operate, I have two extra hours when I am done to catch up.

6. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

7. rd400racer

See, that's my dilema.....if I finish two hours earlier, then my wife tries to find some other BS task for me to do.

My mower time is my time. Best little toy I have received recently is a nice set of enclosed headphones.

Just me, a cold beer and loud tunes.

8. odell2115

odell2115 Well-Known Member

You obviously shouldn't have let her out of the kitchen. :crackup:

I got some Bose noise cancelling headphones recently. Not only have they extended my career in a cube farm, I may be able to hear when I'm 50 afterall.

Now, to find one of those beer hats...

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't know whether the units are the same, or not between the box stores and a private dealer. But, I bought a 42" JD from HD, 8 years ago, and the thing has been pretty much flawless to date. I think I paid $900 for it and I've gotten at least that out of it 3 times over. It is starting to burn a little oil, but given how much I use it, I'm ok with that. I bet I mow at least 60-70 times a year, plus I use it to get up leaves. The thing doesn't even have an oil filter on it. 1 fuel filter, 1 set of belts in the 8 years. If it blew up tomorrow, I'd be as happy as a pig in shit with my purchase.

10. rd400racer

I think our dads knew something that they didn't pass along to us:eek:

[​IMG]

11. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I have a Grasshopper and LOVE it. It's a 721D with the Kabota diesel and a 61" front deck. I mow all of my 11.5 acres in about 4.5 hours. That includes mowing the right away next to the highway and around trees.

Parts are easy to get, somewhat inexpensive and about everything is easy to get to. I can get bearings/seals/belts at O'reilly's/Auto Zone. The only expensive part is the hydro fluid and filter. $140 for a gallon of fuild

You're only supposed to change it every 1000 hours but my mower is 10 years old and I've had ZERO issues with it other than normal maintenance.

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Me to and its been going good for 6 years now. Oil/filter changes and a air filter occasionally is all it gets.

Mines a 42" and I am cutting an acre. No complaints with the mower.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range, but had I won the lottery last week, it would be on my list of possibilities. :crackup:

14. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Anne Roberts had a ex mark commercial for sale a few months ago check with her if she sold it yet.

15. ToddClark

I think I saw that, even used those things are pricey.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

This damn thread got me thinking about yard equipment and shopping for a used Stihl chainsaw. Thanks, fucker.

17. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

The Toro with the Kawasaki engine seems solid from what I have read.

18. ToddClark

LOL. My Stihl Super Wood Boss is almost 30 years old and still fires off in 1-2 pulls.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I found a 270 Wood Boss, with about 3 hours on it, with 2 extra chains and full case for $300, but waiting to hear back if it's sold.

20. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I bought mine used with 500 hours on it. I've owned it now for 6-7 years and it only has 760 on it now.

I paid around 6K for it. I'd buy another used one in a heartbeat as long as it had the same engine I have now.

My wife, for the most part, doesn't understand that good tools cost money but she said the other day if this mower ever quits, we're getting another one.

You can find them used (look for a mid mount deck) for around 2-4K. At my old house, I could mow 3.5 acres (no trees, just house and my shop) in 50 minutes, if I had to trim add another 15 minutes to that.