1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

My first live F1 race was the 2000 (first) Indy GP. I clearly remember arriving on practice day very early and sitting in the stands at a quiet track. Then the first car was fired up. It was amazing, leading to a "Is that what an F1 car sounds like?" moment. Those V-10 cars are rightly missed.

That was a pivotal race. Häkkinen was ahead in the championship, and was brilliantly hunting down Schumacher at the end of the race for the win, only to blow an engine and DNF. That set up Schumacher's first championship with Ferrari, which he sealed the deal on at the next round in Japan. Crappy weather that day, but great race.

Chino52405, cpettit and Yzasserina like this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was there and remember it vividly. We'd stand at that section where the overtrack bridge let out into the field and I swear you were 10' from the cars going by. What an amazing feeling.

Chino52405, cpettit and Yzasserina like this.
  3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

After looking at race results, 2001 is the only one matching my memory (but only JPM retired, not Schumacher). So I said V8 in my comment but would have been V10 still.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

This is interesting.. Paddock people probably like it - can be super private and secure

[​IMG]

Yzasserina and cBJr like this.
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Finally using that stadium for something useful... The F1 politics championship! When do the spectators arrive?

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

P1 is at 2:00 pm eastern.

D561DBF3-F071-45FD-B2F1-DB697C7EA8B2.jpeg

7. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Between 5-6 you could literally feel the heat as the brakes glowed red, that shit was soo loud too.
    What amazed me was them pitting in, they would make a right turn WFO entering the pit in off the banking and it defied physics..

CBRRRRR999 and rd400racer like this.
  9. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

When they showed accelerometer readouts on corners it was beyond belief. 5 times the cornering capability of a good supercar.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2 men Enter, 1 man leaves
    #thunderdome

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Someone shut Danica up. Ugh.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Wife saw " Danica" in the captioning.
    " Ugh, do they have to have her on just because they're in America? "

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I thought she’s improving nicely from last year.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

French commentator told an interesting story about Alonso and McLaren at Indianapolis. He said he sat on the story for a couple of years because he doesn't bring rumors to the air unless he has at least three sources, and he just finally got a third one recently.

So things had gone very well the first year, as y'all remember, until Alonso's engine blew up late in the race. But the second year, everything was going wrong and they couldn't figure out the car. They were worried about not being able to qualify and went to Andretti to try to buy the set up numbers. They struck a deal and got the set up for $2 million.

When Alonso went out to qualify, he found the car undriveable. McLaren only realized later (he didn't say if before or after the race) that all the numbers have been given to them in inches and they were using centimeters. :oops:

Yzasserina and Senna like this.
  15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

That's crazy. I can't believe they couldn't just gut check those numbers to realize they're ridiculous.

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Holy crap, that was a fast spin!

And my heart breaks for Max. :crackup:

Yzasserina likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If Alonso had been touching Danica as much as she was touching him, they would already be calling for his cancellation. :crackup:

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hahaha… I will cut a bish.

Oh and she only touched him once. She reached out to him a few times, but only made contact once. I am very vigilant about my Alonso. :D

This is going to be a hella start tomorrow. Yay!

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  19. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Danica best be careful there or tay-tay just might write a song about her..... :crackup:

Yzasserina likes this.
  20. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Nice outfit Danica... :crackup: