1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taurus Judge

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Here are two rounds fired. One at 15 ft, one at 22 ft. Using the Winchester loads.

[​IMG]

2. Mblashfield

The single holes near the bottom are 9mm from previous practice.

3. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

Dang, I could have used a nice piece of aluminum like that!

4. Mblashfield

I've got shit tons of .040, .060, .080 and .125.
    Lemme know what you need!

5. ms.madman

ms.madman Well-Known Member

I thought my Dirty Harry gun was overkill. Holy cow. I see my wrist failing with that focker.

6. Mblashfield

You won't shoot it every day, hopefully never after your comfortable with it.
    But you will know with one shot, somewhere between the eyes and balls, it's going to stop a threat. Period. End of story.
    2 shots would be criminal.

7. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i keep the same kind of ammo in my 12ga mossberg

[​IMG]

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It would be an illegal sawed off shotgun at that point as the barrel length would be under legal standards. That's why they put crude rifling in, so they could sell it as a pistol.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I would take some shots from 15 yards to check your spread. It will help you think about what's behind your target before you shoot in a real situation.

10. Mblashfield

I don't have a room or a hallway in my house that's 15 yards long. My truck is about 2 yards wide.
    I won't shoot it in a crowded mall to defend myself!!
    My front office at work is 25 ft square.
    If the perp is 15 yards away ill run over them with my truck...

11. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I don't think 15 yards is a realistic situation. I'd try 7 for starters then move inside of that.

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

not exactly, but the jist of your post is semi correct. :beer:

It would still be legal. It would just require it to be registered with the BATFE as an SBS (short barreled shotgun) or "smooth bore pistol", which is an AOW (any other weapon) under title II of the NFA.

All it takes is to file the paperwork, wait for the BATFE, and pay a $5 tax stamp, and it is completely legal. :beer:

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Wouldn't it be nice if every engagement took place in 7 yards or less...:D

My reference for 15 yards was to see what the spread of the shot is as it extends past the intended target.

As you know, split second decisions are scrutenized for months by others. A few rounds at that distance may help the OP while making that split second decision. "What's getting hit if I miss"

14. Mblashfield

Mike,
    I read dozens of professional reviews on the gun before I bought it. As you know There are many concerns about the ammo this gun uses and the short barrel. With this PDX1 ammo the only thing that hit the target at 15 yards when I shot it was the 3 discs. The pellets went everywhere.
    I will only kill someone with it in my house, car, office or shop. Id use my 9mm anywhere else.
    Everything I read said it is designed for 15 ft or less.

Do you know Dave Morketter at Shooters Supply?

15. Mblashfield

By the way, Mike has had a Military career, City Police career, a Private Security Contracting career in the Middle East (4) tours) and now he's just a City Policeman again for fun.
    He doesn't know shit about guns and ammo.

16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Who we talking about, Detective Mike Lowrey???

[​IMG]

17. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

:bow:

18. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If you pop the side-covers on a Judge vs Governor, you'll see that the casting specs on the Taurus require hand-fitting of a lot of parts. The Governor has tighter tolerances using better materials. I think with the amount of impact on those guns from the heavy charge, the S&W will hold it's timing much better.

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I wasn't questioning Mike's knowledge about guns and ammo (if this was directed toward me.) I know he knows his shit and I respect his opinions on these subjects.

The 15 yard thing was what I was questioning. I have spent quite a bit of time dealing with what comes next after a defensive shooting, so I know a little bit about that. Remember, everytime someone takes aim at another person and pulls the trigger, that person's actions are scrutinized six ways to Sunday. You shoot someone at 15 yards, there better be a gun in his hand.

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Both of us thinking about liability on this one, but in different ways. So many variables involved, it's just crazy. Do what you have to do to save you and your families life, then shut the fuck up and call the 1-800-Ijustshotsomeone sendalawyernow hotline.