1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport 300 World Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by bEeR, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Guess we were lucky, three mechanicals. One dead cooling fan, one stuck thermostat, one slipper clutch hub.
    Same engine as birth in 2015, two seasons. Dyno at Barber 2016, 37.5 hp.
    One disturbing glitch. When the engine goes thermal it simply shuts down. No limp, no warning except for a hard to see temp bar graph. Will restart after cooling down some. Ours shut off mid corner.. this IMHO is a piece of software that should change.

wrlamkin likes this.
  2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I love the KTM program, glad it exists, glad to be a part of it, but they are mechanical, and mechanical things break. We had issues and addressed them. Others did also. I got the opportunity to add feedback to the right people and felt good about that. I hope we keep a small bore class for kids to acclimate to full on pro racing.

Scott S. and r6boater like this.
  3. Scott S.

All in all KTM support at track has been good. Quick to share technical issues and fair if the situation was known and unavoidable. Some free parts tossed in to get the kids back into their day.

4. Scott S.

5. Scott S.

The pieces of the rules I like as applied to all bikes. Cats must be removed, exhaust open-original position, steering dampers manatory, bar position open, quick shifters ok, suspension valving ok, emissions systems as related to air box removal ok, ECM tuning... no mention of throttle stops. The KTM anyway will wake up and be a better tool.
    Hope a piece of this trickles down to the cup class. At least cat removal, I hate cats.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks pro racing SHOULD be cheaper than club racing?

I don't think pros should have to pay a dime to race. If they can qualify, the sanctioning body should want them on the grid.

Pro organizations should be making their money from ticket sales, not racers. Club level racing is the opposite. This is how it works in virtually every other sport on the planet....

Edit - I'm talking entry fees, not tires and the like.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Step one: Acquire ticket sales.

Step two: Profit.

8. Scott S.

I dont know maybe it was at one time. Way before my time. As I understand it sometimes MA gets a check from a given track and sometimes they write one. Depends on ticket sales or projected sales?Then there are track costs, insurance and I am sure a host of other variables
    Compare the fan count at Miller to say.. Laguna or even Road America.. seemed like the fans came out strong... Miller, not so much. I do think MA will be sure to consider racer safety over profit or location.
    Heck I'm still trying to figure out a lot of things let alone this big picture stuff.
    Sounds like another thread all together and there probably has been one.
    Back on topic, perhaps MA is waiting to see how this new class works over there before trying it on here. Good business.

9. Scott S.

We had the other no problem bike.. only a cooling fan and a clutch hub ... AFTER we bought the slipper clutch. But our bike saw only the MA rounds for two seasons, no track days, clubs, or schools. Its all for sale stands to canopy