1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport 300 World Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by bEeR, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

"Hey Paulo.. How do vee make de class rules for dees little bikes? You want I should go to zat yankee club site again and do zee copy and paste?" :D

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you aren't already sleaving down a motor and removing a cylinder as we speak.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Seems they are taking a page out of Ducati's playbook. If you can't compete, get them to write the rules allowing you more MOTAAAAAAAA

4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Don't you mean paying Livengood to sleeve down a motor and remove a cylinder?

5. Boman Forklift

I have to agree with this. Running a national series, even WERA Nationals, is just so dang expensive with travel. I see some of the MA KTM cup racers running around spending all that money and finishing towards the back, over and over. Seems to my illogical brain, those racing families would do much better, to get their kid consistently winning at the local level. before wasting all the money to travel all over the country.

Plus it would help the young racers confidence to actually do well vs. backmark the national series.

Scott S. and BigBird like this.
  6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Competitive racing is expensive, no two ways about it. I'd agree with your comments in regards to the 600 SSTK class, but I've come around on the KTM Cup. Sure, the back third of the grid could probably spend their money a little smarter, but the important experience they're getting is that they're actually racing other racers on like machinery as opposed to simply doing laps while a race was going on. I think the KTM Cup did as good a job as possible with the spec aspect of the series to encourage good racing and taught the young racers quite a bit that they wouldn't get at the club level.

BigBird, Boman Forklift and r6boater like this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So will this new class will replace the Euro Junior cup? If so, great- I'd much rather see 3-4 brands competing vs. a bunch of CBR650's.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

I primarily agree with what you have said. However, if you agree on KTM cup, to me it is the same issue in 600STK. They both serve a similar purpose and one isn't limited by age and that same one won't penalize the big boys as badly either. Tyler actually said he would love to do a few rounds of KTM cup next year, at over 6 ft and whatever he weighs now, he is probably at a big disadvantage. However, that is a way he could continue college, hit a couple rounds, and see some of his old friends.

I'm primarily thinking that in a group of 30-50 kids, some of the slowest ones, that are consistently the slowest ones, would be better off staying close to home a bit longer. In my experience, there isn't an infinite amount of money to go around. It seems most families can only financially stomach, the national scene, for a short period of time, maybe 1-3 years. Why blow that amount of resources, if you are not consistently already "on the box" at the local road race events.

Scott S. likes this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

I'm agreeing with you on that point in regards to both the 600 and the KTM classes. Go club racing until there isn't anyone left to beat, then go pick a bigger fight. However, in regards to the KTM kids, there just aren't the grids to teach them a lot about actually racing at the club level.

I just had a race dad in the shop last week. He's got a rather fast kid who is still active in mini racing and has been racing WERA this season. While he's grateful for the track time and experience he's getting, there simply isn't anyone for him to race. If the KTM Cup is still around in some version by the time he's age eligible, it would absolutely be his best option.

Scott S., Cam Morehead and ekraft84 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are plenty of bikes on the grids to teach them to go faster. That's part of why we have them combined with other classes.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I never saw the need to travel great distances to lose when I could just as easily lose close to home for a much smaller investment.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

V5 Racer likes this.
  14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

15. metricdevilmoto

Good for track time, like a track day. But definitely not the same.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I disagree, I've watched many world champions learn by taking their smaller bikes and chase after bigger bikes. Part of what makes them world champions is being able to learn from every second on track no matter what other machines are around. I've also watched many many families with a kid who might have had a shot run out of money chasing the pro races and running out of money and energy.

17. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I think this is a conversation that can be debated forever. Here is what I suggest with kids I am associated with.... Get track time. Period. But if we have the choice of racing 30+ kids on identical bikes, we are going there. You know I stick my kids in WERA every chance I get but if there is an option to put them on the grid with 30 other kids, that is where we are going. The kids racing 30 adults is good but does not compare to racing 30 kids. My point, ride, ride, ride.... But a 95 pound kid racing a 95 pound kid will never equate to a 95 pound kid racing a 160 pound adult.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And as soon as their parents spend 20-50 grand that year chasing the pro stuff you never see them again....

There's no real debate. The way you guys are saying it won't work is exactly what does and has worked. Even with the guys at the top of the current MA grids.

Bryan_A and V5 Racer like this.
  19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sleeve down, it's already a floating sleeve... just need one made with less, hole?

20. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Sean, do not put words in my mouth. You must be referring to someone else. And it worked out pretty good for us this year. And the parents didn't spend 20-50 grand.