1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Yeah... I'm not looking for advice as to where and when to trade. It's the mental game AFTER I've pulled the trigger that's getting me. My win/loss ratio is pretty decent, if you take into consideration me counting any trade stopped out IN PROFIT as a win.

However, if I seem to have no qualms about a trade that blasts off up or down and hits my stop loss, yet I will feel actual pain if at one point I'm IN PROFIT then it goes south, and hits the stop.. So by moving my stop losses up once I'm into profit, its actually skewing my profits.. So even if I were to have a 60% win ratio.. If I'm letting that loss smash 1-2% risk, but I am sabotaging the wins by moving stops where they hit at only 0.5-1% wins, it's going to be a losing game eventually.

Every time I do something silly or get too stressed, I jump back into just sim trading for a week or two.... 99% of the time I do this, I absolutely SLAUGHTER.. I try so hard to make myself believe the sim trading exercises are REAL and that this is literally ALL I need to do on the real account to be successful. I load it up with the exact same amount of money my real account has, I trade the same stuff, using the same strategy, and same risk. However, when I jump back into the real account with the same exact plan I just seem to get all weird.

So that's why my current plan is to just reduce position size and maybe condition myself to seeing the profits turn red, then back to green.. but instead of watching shit move by a few hundred bucks a minute, ill just watch it move by nickels and dimes. lol

This is what my charts currently look like. Dumbed down as much as possible. I toss in some references for resistance, and what the current trend is. This is the /NQ futures chart. I use this to kinda get an idea what QQQ will be doing for the day. Then I either trade QQQ or I will trade the leveraged versions like SQQQ or TQQQ... I trade other stuff too. Mostly energy, materials, and other commodities..

But yeah... The main question I'm asking is if anyone here has had any luck with good mental exercises or mental coaching.

NQ5m.JPG

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm up 63.5% on META ... when it hits 64% I'm out. This is making me nervous.

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Then get out now.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No, that half a percent is important.

5. thrak410

It hit so I'm happy. :p :D

banked $110/sh

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

thats how that 63.5% goes to 0% lol

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I first read this as you banked "110-ish".:crackup:

Like, whoa, baller! Haha!

I don't usually think of them in per share numbers, but rather total.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Y'all know something I don't? Like why would Meta stop printing money anytime soon? I'm up 114% and not the slightest bit nervous.

9. thrak410

Well, for me, I can roll that into something like CVX or IBM and get big dividends. Meta gets me nothing until I sell it.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That strategy makes some sense I guess... unless you didn't hold it long enough to avoid short term gain taxes. Or is this in an IRA/401K?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I wasn't nervous, I tried to be disciplined. I had told myself I would get out when I doubled my money. When I got up to about 95% a couple of weeks ago, I figured it was good enough. There will be buying opportunities in the future. I don't think it's a smooth ride yet.

12. thrak410

eTrade :) The short term tax will be covered by the dividends, and then some.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

In early 2000, I had a sell order on my stocks.
    Stock started the day at 19 & 7/8. My sell order was at 20/share.
    I *thought* (hoped/believed/willed/used my vision board) that it would pop to $20 in intraday trading.

The next day it dropped to $12, and then lower as the Dot-Bomb era started.

I had carry forward losses for about 5 years.

Don't get hung on the 1/2 of a %

thrak410 and sanee like this.
  14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

cant be greedy with this shit

Jedb likes this.
  15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So my AVL finally took a bit of a bump up. 20% yesterday. And 40% over a few days. Unfortunately, it still needs to jump another 100% to come back to where I break even on it.

I guess us should ask Motion and Bird if I am doing it right?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    BigBird likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I think you are actually management material. You should be getting an offer call any minute. :D

BigBird likes this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah. But the pay is commission based on profits. Thats how they keep expenses down. There never are any!!! :D

BigBird likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

*looks at company operating procedures* 100% doing it right :D

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Damn. This the 1 time I wish I was doing it wrong.

BigBird likes this.
  20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

30 years in the biz. NO One knows what the market will do tomorrow much less weeks or months from now. 90 percent of money managers don't beat their index. It's all snake oil.

auminer likes this.