1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping people are choosing to spend on 'lectric cars, weed, and vr goggles instead of travel and ship scooping services.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There's areas of the Dallas metro where 1,575,000 appraisal puts you at 29,727 annual property tax.

Even out in the boonies where I live, that would be 26,405.

Texas got Hella property taxes. :mad:

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

We got a reasonable deal on it. We didn't steal it, but we didn't overpay either. A good deal is when you're a little unhappy with what you paid, and they are a little unhappy with what they got paid. That's where we landed. If the indications from the insurance companies' assessment, we'll move in with about $400k in equity day one. I'll no once we are in, and all is settled.

9 acres total. 4 completely fenced for the pups. Thay had to of Broome's great pyrenes pups. Big fluffy white phloof balls. Crazy to think we'll own that entire cul-de-sac.

We are running around like chickens getting this house ready to list. It's amazing how many things you notice that need to be done that are I'll get to that later projects when you plan to live here another day.

BigBird, R1M370 and Banditracer like this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing pics of the detached garage all setup with the toys

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

They're ready to harvest once they hit the 10ft length.

pickled egg likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

No gators but I bet its full of divorced cougars.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Do you have to change your name to Pitrolo? :D

I am truly jealous.

9. Venom51

No that was not a stipulation of the contract. But if he wants to adopt me that would be fine.

10. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Congrats man, that’s a beautiful house. I guess no more building retaining walls in your future :D

11. Venom51

The wife's not dead yet so there is guarantee of that. :D

12. Venom51

So quick story on the house. We were up that way trimming up the lake lot one weekend and took a cruise to the other side of the neighborhood and when we pulled into that cul-de-sac we both looked at each other and almost simultaneously said "If that ever goes up for sale, we'll have to be ready to come take a look if we can swing the price." That was 3 years ago.

tony 340 and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I like to go to Alaska and keep an eye on airfare. The prices seem very reasonable compared to the last year or two.

14. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Keeping with this threads theme of "School Me"

Has anyone in here paid for actual education regarding the market and trading? If so, how did it go?

I've built up a pretty decent amount of capital by trading and tossing spare money in over the last 3-4 years. My trading strategy is mediocre at best.. and my biggest downfall is that I don't let my trades work themselves out. Basically what I mean by that is, I will set up a trade with a 1:3 RR and walk away.. If it hits and I lose whatever.. However, if it hits and starts working forward, pretty much right when it gets around $50-100 above the break even I will almost always move my stop up to just a few ticks below that $50-100.. Then, as the market moves around it usually triggers the stop. lol THEN most of the time it works its way to my intended take profit. Which is frustrating for me. lol out of all my winning trades i'd say 15-15% of them ever make it to the original take profit, without me sabotaging it. lol

I know this is more of a mental thing than anything else... Its just strange that I can place an order, and if I come back and it lost right away for $200-400 it wont even phase me. However, if at anytime I see I'm up $100-200, THEN it moves back to my original stop for a $200-400 loss I get pissed. lol.

Anyway... I want to quit my job, and I feel like I'm kinda "job locked" due to lack of degree.. So I'm looking at either trying to start my own design/welding/fabrication shop again, or just being a stay at home dad for a while. However, I still wanna race/fuck around.. lol

sChOoL mE

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We had an OG BBS member from Houston whose brother started and owned a successful company making trading software and teaching people how to make a living doing it. That sort of thing?

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Doing the opposite of what Jim Cramer says and following Paul Pelosi's stock trades are 2 good tips. :D

R1M370 and Phl218 like this.
  17. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Not to mention doing the opposite of Motion and Bird LLC.

Banditracer likes this.
  18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Nah, I'm a pretty basic trader... I try to jump on trends, look for support and resistance, and attempt to buy low/sell high. etc.. (seriously this shit can either go 1-3 ways... up, down, or sideways, i dunno why people have 17 monitors and they all look like fuckin rainbows) I try to make my shit look as dumbed down as possible... I don't use dumbass squiggly lines, candle stick patterns, or other indicators. I look at what the price is, and how much volume is going on. I have even experimented recently with only using 1 color for the candles, and getting rid of the "wicks"

Then I just decide whether I feel like its gunna go up or down. I used to trade micro and mini futures, then I got into swing trading, then even more frequent 1-2 day.. However, recently I was flagged as a "pattern day trader"

Just looking into better mental coaching. Like I said in my first post IDGAF if a trade goes right to the stop after its initiated.. It's the ones that are IN profit then go back down to my original stop that get me all spun up.. So I'm hindering myself my tweaking my stops when I enter into profit and they just get triggered early.. Then just end up making it all the way to my original take profit. I've made a few grand this year JUST from the 1-2 day and intraday stuff, but I'm looking to get better with discipline.

My current plan is to actually scale down all my intraday position trades for a while and just get used to letting it ride through the intended plan. Currently I usually drop in with a position size that offers $1-20 per tick.. So I'm thinking about moving to just $0.01-$1 per tick... I'm hoping if I can just get used to going into a drawdown even after I was in the profit, and let it ride its way through the plan or if I have a clear indication that its meeting resistance, I can scale the position sizes back up.

Just curious if anyone on here has gone this far? IMO people who teach but don't practice are useless to me. So all these books/programs by dudes making money just from the books/programs are really suspicious to me. lol

Thats all. lol

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

add this website:

Track US politician stock trades - Capitol Trades

*not a political post - just a website that's listing people and their trades*

R1M370 likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sounds like you're looking at trading advice, not investing advice. Two different things.

Also sounds like you've already figured out stops both on the upside and the downside.

Also sounds like you've realized that TA is horseshit.

You've realized that those snake oil bitchez selling super-duper-get-rich-quick trading plans are full of shit.

Sounds like you're WAY ahead of most folks!

I don't day trade anymore because my MO was dangerous as shit and nearly cost me tens (almost hundreds) of thousands a couple of times. I would look for big early (or pre) market movers and put a ~$50K position on a reversal if an exhaustive 20 second research indicated that a reversal made sense. If the position changed by $1000 either way I closed it; didn't matter what I """felt""" . Removing feelings from trading is tantamount. I made beaucoup bucks off of a couple of big trades, some reversed so hard I couldn't get out before they changed by $5,000 or more. BSC for one. I can tell you EXACTLY where I was & what I was doing during the IRL moments at the end of the movie The Big Short. I made 8 grand in about 30 seconds buying 2000 shares of BSC at 32 and selling them at 36. The next day, however, they opened at $2 and went down from there. Like I said, dangerous as shit.

This might not be the advice you're looking for, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Maybe get a universe of stocks your research indicates are fundamentally undervalued and look for big pre-market movers. Enter each trade with stops based on logic alone. Remember that you don't even have to be right more often than not, you just have to be right bigger than you're wrong.

Most of all, though, if you're trading a stock that's in the news hot, DO NOT HOLD IT OVERNIGHT. You might miss a couple of jackpots, but my experience with Bear Stearns outlined above was a real eye opener on this rule.