1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You need to crank up a wheelie and ride it through 3-4 gears. That usually works, although the cops have been known to issue awards for that move.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've only seen a few listed- at nutty prices close to original MSRP. I'd sell mine for $6K

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'd forgotten about this discussion, having missed most of it while riding my bicycle across IA on the Ragbrai. I got a call that week that my Tracer 9 GT had arrived, unexpectedly. Didn't get back for a month, but absolutely loving this thing! Had it 6 - 7 weeks and only have 1,200 miles, but happily selling my T7 that is just too tall, and doesn't have a comfortable seat for longer rides. The side cases and heated grips are nice. Heated seat and jacket liner, and I'll be getting more miles this winter. Jean-Marie and Mark have been taking lots of my $$ for Bobby, for my Klim gear this past 1.5 years. Now considering a KTM dirt bike and a Husky Mountain bike next.

4. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Excellent you like the new ride. Now tell me about this T7 . Winter has arrived in NY but still it’s never to early to get ready for next year.

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

May have it sold, but 542 miles, and never been more than 30-40 feet on grass, from the road. Bought lowering links, a center stand, and a Seat Concepts seat. Haven't installed any of them, as I decided I'm too old to pick up a 460 lb. bike dirt riding. I love the motor, and would buy an equivalently equipped Tracer 7 GT. Asking price is above MSRP, but $1k below my out the door price, given that my dealer has 3 deposits on '23 models so far.

Still learning all of the electronic controls and on the fly adjustments I can make on my Tracer. Cruise control works great!

bullockcm and ducnut like this.
  6. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

No bad years, but personal preference is Gen 2 or newer. Some bemoan the 5 speed and prefer a 6 speed, I notice the higher rpm on the highway when I’ve been away from it for awhile, but you get used to it quickly. Many of the BMW K bikes were geared similarly and again, you get used to it.
    Put 100k on a 2006 FJR. Switched to a GS1200, put 100k on it. Also had time on S1000XR, Honda VFR, and Caponord, but not MultiStrada. Happily went back to another VFR. Currently have 130k on it.
    Keep looking for a replacement, but thinking I might run the VFR to 200k+
    Unless you guys change my mind in this thread

Yama-saurus, ducnut and Razr like this.
  7. I have the Multistrada 1260-S (V2) and think it is the best thing since peanut butter. It does everything good.

It has Cruise Control, Heated Grips, adjustable Windscreen, Active Suspension, Clutchless shifting and all the electronic aids (TC, WC, ABS, etc). And ive added a few things to it. Akrapovic slip-on, Fog lights (mounted beside the radiator), Garmin GPS, Battery Tender and aftermarket Ducati seat (more padding/comfortable). I also had the wheels powder coated black.

The bags are big enough to be handy, but still easy to take off and carry around. It has a ton of torque but doesn't vibrate a lot like some big Twins. It is comfortable on long trips, but fun through the mountains. I can't say that I would change anything about it, or wish it did anything better.

In the picture you can't see the fog lights, but they are mounted beside the radiator, basically directly behind the reflectors on the forks. They are OEM lights and work through the OEM light switch.

IMG_2520.JPG

ducnut and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Without the bags.

F8281F3E-6FE8-4A1B-A631-3FBBD64ABA0C.jpeg

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

How much for the CRV? :) I had an '02, 2nd owner, grocery getter, AWD.....til I smoked a deer with it a few yrs ago.

10. What's a CRV?

Phl218 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

EC9B380F-8CD0-42EE-8D05-1919FEF6A4AA.jpg

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If you truly intend to never go off road and budget is pretty free - Kawasaki H2SX. Yowza.
    [​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. and Razr like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Looks and sounds like ass.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It's cool that the VFR is still mentioned as one of the best sport touring bikes made. Most consider the 5th gen the best (98-01) A real shame Honda doesn't even make this model anymore. Just curious, what year is yours?

YoshiHNS likes this.
  15. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Had a 5th gen, 2001. And yes, at the time it was an awesome sport tourer. But as the genre grew bigger, 1000cc+ and 130hp+, the VFR did seem a bit weak for 80mph+, long distance touring.
    I am really impressed with all the new midsize offerings, but am concerned it’d be working them hard to run the high speed long distance stuff.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I rode my cousins Blackbird for a one day trip. It was much more comfy than I thought it would be. His plate said RT One (rapid transit)

Zoomie likes this.
  17. Oh. :crackup: Didnt even notice that.

It isn't my car; I was parked at a hotel. That picture was taken during a trip from FL up to TN. If possible, I determine my stopping point and hotel ahead of time, research the grounds, and ask for a specific room so I can strategically park the bike.

At this one, I was parked directly in front of reception, underneath a covered walkway and I was on the lowest level with the bike parked directly in front of my room.

ducnut likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

*shrug* Sounds like just about any other basic inline 4 motorcycle. And I own one. I don't see what it looks like when I ride it :)

19. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Definitely not my jam in the looks department, it certainly doesn't sound like ass, it's typical inline 4 quiet though. But man the powertrain cannot be ignored on this bike. It's amazing. So much grunt and loves to rev. I too wish it came in a lighter/prettier package, but if this is the best way to go sport touring with that engine - I'll take it.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

And the entire BBS collectively gasped in surprise...

stk0308 and Gorilla George like this.