1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yeah, I had R&R issues, even after replacement. Plus a weird headshake issue that I couldn't cure (Tried tires, headstock bearings, etc. ) Oh, well.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Unfortunately I lack the skillz to hooligan, but a sumo in north GA would be fun...

There is a hyperstrada for sale near here.

motion likes this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Only for people 8 ft tall.

motion likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just carry a DaveK around with you to use as a stepstool

Boman Forklift and motion like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Very underrated bike. I test rode one, but, the catalytic converter heat radiating from the right fairing ruined it. And, I wanted a seating position even further from my 675. I ended up buying a Tiger 1050, instead. Absolute freight train of an engine. I had AK-20’s and an 8983 done for it. It was a great bike, until I rode a Tiger 800.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I know it sounds funny but, our gen4 kawasaki ZX10R's are really comfortable, even at longer distances, and more than capable, when you want to play. both the wife, and myself ride them. they have some pillion seat bags available, and backpacks can be utilized if needed... we tend to travel really light. Ski

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My wife rode a '04 FJR for 10 years. I'd ride it occasionally but truthfully I found it to be kinda soulless. Absolutely nothing wrong with it performance wise and it did everything it was supposed to do. I don't know why I didn't care for it, just didn't. Now....I really like my 1985 FJ1100. I've done a lot to it like 17" wheels, upgraded brakes and suspension, new seat, new exhaust...and on...and on. Being an antique it still has enough "snot" to keep up with most anything modern on the street. Some soft sided saddle bags and a tank bag and I've gone on week long trips.

tl1098, Once a Wanker.. and 418 like this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So I went with the KTM Adv 890S. The 1290 is just huge compared to my old Multi. The 890 feels very similar size wise. For scooting around ATL I came to the realization of the importance of smaller size.

2up should be fine for the most part. Saddle bags and top case are no problem.

Not super powerful, but it should be all I need.

The electronics on the 1290 are pretty slick, and on the 890 the non adjustable forks will need to be addressed.

Once a Wanker.., Steeltoe and ducnut like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The current crop of middleweight ADV bikes are very good at about anything. Hard to go wrong and you didn’t. That 890 is a great bike.

I can’t help you with suspension. I ended up having a guy in OKC, Oklahoma do my 800XCx, as he specializes in that platform. In talking with Dan, at Traxxion, he felt like that dude was probably the way to go, as they don’t do much offroad stuff.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Hyperstradas are pretty nice.... I never seem them for sale.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wut? I'm 6' and can flat foot easily.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Traxxion is just up the road and I'll probably give them a call.

I bought the bike at Wooly's today. The folks and atmosphere sold me more than the bike itself. Really good folks. Although I look like a walking Klim ad after updating my gear.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Obligatory on a KTM. Be sure and stand, everywhere you go, as well. :crackup:

Jed likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I’m 5’ 9” and can’t. Really wanted one, even test rode one, but not being able to touch down made it highly dangerous.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's your ADVrider handle? :D

Once a Wanker.., Jed and ducnut like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I haven’t bought a “fast” bike for myself since I bought a Duc 916 in 97, and those are slow now.

How much are these Suzuki’s going for on the used market?

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

18. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Look up Saku Moto on YouTube. He just built one for his use and a s a project bike for a show up in Portland. Former racer, ig off-road adventure guy, and shoots most of the ads for Rev’it, Duc, BMW. The bike is sano and is a total weapon now.

Jed likes this.
  19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

ATLBADASSKTMCAGERSSUCKDRAGONSLAYER.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Practicing in the garage and doing neck stretches to get the full 180 swivel while standing to make sure everyone is looking at me!