1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. :crackup:

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I pictured GG with a headset wired right into NASA for his directions:D

I'm so glad you're a good sport, because you take a lot of shit, but it's harmless:bow:

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s exhaust note is definitely it’s own thing. It’s not smooth, like a Honda or Suzuki. Definitely not coarse and growly, like a BMW, which I enjoy. No CP4, obviously. I simply can’t stand how a Kawasaki sounds.

I’ll keep on keeping on, with my 5th Gen.
    1ABE3304-6E7D-44A3-89FB-AF6E25952CBE.jpg

Zoomie, Yama-saurus and YoshiHNS like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nice bike, cool paint scheme, especially the white wheels. What rear wheel is that from?

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

8 spoke rear wheel from a 1993 VFR750. I've seen/done Triumph 1050 and Ducati 848/1098 rear wheel swaps as well. CB1000R rear wheel also an option.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've heard some SSSA from a Duc working, didn't know a Triumph was an option though. I assume the Duc 848/1098 is a 190 wheel?

7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

And quite stylish on 6th Gen also...

25-8.jpg.jpg

ducnut likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not a straight swap. There are a couple people who make the bits to adapt other carriers and calipers to the Honda’s swingarm. Sebspeed Customs, in NY, is one here in the states.

YoshiHNS and Razr like this.
  9. Yama-saurus

I had 2005, '07 and currently a '13. 2005 was mega hot and didn't last long in the lineup, especially with southeast summers.
    Gen 2 FJR, the 06 & 07 have the twitchy on / off throttle to deal with. YMC fixed in 08 with ECU changes. Or an Ivan's ECU flash.
    All Gen 2 have the dreaded "spider bite" as potential headache unless addressed.
    IMO, Gen 3 with 5 speed are where it's at. Rode my friends 2016 Some folks whine about the 80 mph limit for the cruise control on the '13. Again, Yamaha changed C/C speed limit in '14 with ECU.
    6 speed units ( 16-21) had the recent transmission recall along with associated ECU reflash, then a updated reflash of the reflash.
    My 2013 has about 105,000 on it with zero issues and still motors along like new. But as Wife Inc has her own bike again, thinking about selling the FJR and venturing back to VFR land.

Zoomie likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sweet. Did you put a 180 on there? Something about a red/white/blue Honda! I had to settle for a pearl black 06. Did come with the factory bags though.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is the CB1000r rear wheel an easy swap? I just saw a black wheel from a 2022, looks very nice, more of a honeycomb style.

12. Yama-saurus

Friend of mine the anniversary edition that and don't recall what tire size exactly, TBH.
    Last VFR I had was a 2004 and it was matte black. I swapped from black to grey VFR wheels on it.

Razr likes this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I was going to say. The Triumph and Ducati are single center nut on a stub, like an F1 or Indy Car wheel. Not a multi stud hub, like a normal car.

Razr likes this.
  14. stk0308

As I understand it, Kawi is bigger on the airbox harmonics. Less worried about exhaust sound. I'm normally a Triumph triple guy.
    Not bad. You Viffer guys are ate up over them once they get their hooks in ya. LOL

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Razr and ducnut like this.
  15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I did my first cross-country (East coast - West - East) trip on a Gen 6 VFR800, and it was a lovely bike. Not crazy about the VTEC power switch, but it was an easy thing to ride around.

My next cross-country trip was on a 1st Gen FZ1, and it was by far a better bike then the VFR.

My Mexico voyage (Atlanta - Cancun - Atlanta) was on a 2nd Gen FZ1. With FJR hard bags it was a great bike for a fast long haul, loaded and two up.

Next Cross-Country trip was on a Concours 14, while I loaned my daily driver Tiger 800 to my buddy who flew in town. Both bikes did great.

If I had to go back and pick a winner for a long haul on paved roads, it would be a Concours 14. Funny thing, I briefly owned a FJR1300 and didn't like anything about it.

So, your mileage may vary.

16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

If I was to buy a brand new bike, I would be very curious about Kawi SX SE with hard luggage, and a MT1 with some sort of rigged-up hard luggage. Probably newer Tigers as well.

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

So, anyone have any insight on the new Suzy GSXs1000gt? Sat on one a week or soago and felt pretty good, actually.

ducnut likes this.
  18. stk0308

I can tell you the new 900 Tigers are pretty great, for their size, off road. I don't think their way understressed motor (95 hp) would make you happy. The new 1200, maybe. My 900 Rally isn't replacing the H2 SX SE as a long hauler. I just can't get into the ADV seating for traveling. I still like the old school, more comfortable sportbike, seating. I'm very interested in seeing the possible hardbag mounting points for the impending Yamaha R9.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The 8th Gen has the necessary axle stub to mount the CB1R rear wheel. The entire 8th Gen swingarm is a direct swap for a 5th or 6th. What I can’t remember is if the bearing size is the same across the years, to allow just a stub swap. The three generations have different swingarm lengths, too.

Correct. The easiest way is to adapt the entire carrier assembly.

Givi offer a setup for the MT-10.
    D104C0CA-EA2F-4C8B-B189-DD430FE1FE2A.jpeg

I’ve only sat on one, as well. But, a former VFR owner, on one of the forums, bought one and said it’s a VFR+. Basically, it’s better at everything.

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  20. stk0308

It's funny that it has V35s on it. I made a set of those fit my '08 Sprint ST because I felt the OEM bags were such crap. No one made a mount kit, off the shelf, for that model. So we had to combine a V35 kit for a V-Strom, and a monokey kit for the Sprint. Some grinder/cutting, and welding and it came out great!

As for the MT10, not enough fairing for me. Still, it sounds like a great mount.
    I've been hearing that too. If I had a better feel for the local Suzuki dealers to me, I might be interested. But, then there's the impending "dieselgate"/recession Suzuki is girding up for.

ducnut likes this.