1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 7 | Catalunya | Spain | Jun 4 - 6

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 31, 2021.

1. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

How was it out of his control? I saw where his zipper was on the grid and it was at least a couple of inches lower than the top. It was completely in his control to zip it all the way.

Blammo and Quicktoy like this.
  2. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

giphy-14.gif

3. 418

418 Expert #59

I was watching the BT Sports broadcast and that was their assumption as well since he almost lowsided into T1 with 4 laps to go.

If he just forgot to zip up his leathers I'm all for a black flag penalty or a DQ. That would be something in his control which is a whole another ball game.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I think the not zipped all the way theory is probably the best. I’ve noticed in a lot of his onboard footage he’s usually not zipped all the way up and his gold chain and cross are dangling outside the leathers which would drive me nuts.

BigBird and HPPT like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

FB_IMG_1623075428095.jpg

Somebody is lying somewhere.

#leathergate

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Rossi said something about it in his interview. They were lacking grip and when he tried to push through the tire temp started going up. Since tire management is so crucial, I wonder if they do have a light.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do they have telemetry? If they can message them mapping changes, they could also message them tire temp front or rear....

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I thought the only msgs they can get from crew are penalty info and mapping.

8. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

Not sure what the MotoGP bikes have, but Driven makes a sensor setup the shows live surface temps any ole Joe can buy. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a warning light and a live temp on the dash honestly.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/driven-mantis-infrared-tire-temperature-sensor/

MyWayGuy likes this.
  9. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cool if they could see a message that reads "I wish we had Dunlop or Pirelli :)"

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Maybe, but based on the past MotoGP experience, I imagine they would all want Bridgestone!

track wagon, pickled egg and wsmc42 like this.
  11. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Curious...have Dunlop or Pirelli ever been a GP sponsor?

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Boman Forklift and Used2befast like this.
  13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Anyone remember Nicky knocking off a knee puck at Indy mid race, had a bloody knee by the end?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It never looked to me like on that incident that the bike flinched hard enough to trigger an airbag. I think that probably only occurred to them as they were searching for an explanation for the open suit.

I believe that is specifically forbidden under the rules. They can only download data in the pits.

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

MotoGP commentators were saying that the airbag theory came from French TV.

Never saw the airbag deployed in the shots of Fabio shown.

16. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct about the team needing to plug into the bike to see telemetry.

And if I understand the rules correctly ,the rider has the potential to be provided data from any sensor on the bike, and what the rider actually sees depends on how the team has developed the standardized ECU and dashboard.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

BigBird and MyWayGuy like this.
  18. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Based everything I read this seem the mostly scenario.

1) Fabio forget to fully zip-up his leather prior to the start of the race.
    2 ) During the race the zipper works itself further down do to Fabio’s moving around the bike.
    3) Per Fabio’s own words, his chest protector starts riding against his neck.
    4) Fabio unzips even further to get rid of the chest protector.
    5) Lose many place do to penalties, but fortunately doesn’t crash or receive black flag.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

His answer:

Good test today ! 79 laps done and luckly nobody saw me riding [​IMG]

upload_2021-6-7_12-12-59.jpeg

Dragginass, TLR67 and wsmc42 like this.
  20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Damn. You beat me.

Phl218 likes this.