1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 7 | Catalunya | Spain | Jun 4 - 6

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 31, 2021.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

they have sensors for center and sides. Don’t know if riders have real-time access to that data

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but what's your point? :confused:

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I knew they had sensors for the data & collect it.
    Like you, I don't know if they broadcast that information to the rider.

4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Just safety in general. Fluids, loose parts etc. Not to mention a helmet touching the ground makes it trash....but the riders keep racing in those situations that are dangerous not only to them, but others.

cav115, track wagon and BigBird like this.
  5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

The MotoGP thread on here when the race is over...:D a6b3a4db3139694cd9bd0599dfd48945.jpg

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But a crashed bike is far more likely to be a hazard to others. Either way a freak event that I am sure they will ALL revisit. Kind of like the cut sensor on Honda that catapulted their robot.

cav115, track wagon and Dragginass like this.
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Num
    Numerical might not make sense but a yellow/red setup might make sense. Yellow indicating which segment is near over temp and red when it goes over (of course with a setable temp)

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Miller was saying that his front tire was overheating during the race.

Unclear if he gets the info through values or idiot lights....

track wagon likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you crash and you have bodywork hanging on by one fastener and flapping in the wind, or an exhaust pipe that looks like it's about to come off, they will bring you in just the same.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm sure when a lot of those rules were written nobody though of a false airbag deployment. People are quoting the "zipped leathers" rule as if he decided to zip his leathers down because it was convenient.

Then where is the safety crowd, to which I say if we're so worried about safety maybe we shouldn't be putting riders in suits that deploy spontaneously? That incident could have caused a crash itself.

I wanna hear what A* has to say. This is a weird scenario for sure.

ToofPic, cav115, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

There was a time not even the team pits got data like that real time, in motorcycle GP racing. I doubt the rider does now. But, I could be wrong.

12. Dragginass

You're making my point, somewhat. What about the possibly damaged helmets, leaking fluids, bent parts etc? For that matter sharp windshield pieces, missing aero wings, missing seats (miller), damaged tires? Hell why race in the rain?

There is clearly a need for rules and safety enforcement. But there are a lot of things that are overlooked for the sake of the "race", so I just don't see the big deal with the leathers.

cav115 likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What does intent have to do with it? If your bike starts spraying oil on your rear tire, you don't get to keep running it because you didn't do it on purpose.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They don't stop you and ruin your race for "possible" damage. They stop you for actual, visible damage. There has to be a line somewhere and that seems to be where they draw it.

Because they make rain tires?

Okay, then. T-shirts flip-flops for everyone! You guys win.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

So you're okay with a guy losing a world championship on the basis of an airbag deployment that should have never been which the governing body forced the rider to wear?

You need oil in your engine for your bike to run. You don't have to have an airbag to ride...but you do according to Dorna.

Anybody else remember when Lorenzo crashed and his airbag didn't employ because he wasn't a fan of them? Yeah...

BigBird likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No. I have seen plenty of deployments where the suit didn't end up open all the way down to the balls.

Not about the airbag. People have remounted after a deployment and been allowed to continue. It's about the guy racing with his chest out in the wind.

Jesus, the airbag again…

17. 418

418 Expert #59

So you're okay with a guy riding around with a fully deployed airbag suit possibly risking losing complete control of the thing because "Michelinman" but not zipping their leathers down so they can keep riding in predictable fashion?

What he did is risky as hell but considering this has never happen before I'm not going to sit here and shit on the guy for making a split second decision to race.

As far as race control if they were going to penalize him, then that should have been done DURING the race. So I agree they need to get it with both barrels.

And for the love of God, he's French. Get with the program.

You obviously a Zarco fanboy.

cav115, TLR67 and BigBird like this.
  18. Dragginass

So again, cracked windshields, helmets that visibly touched ground, bent shit etc contradict what you are saying. Like I said, shit slides for the sake of the "race" and we all know it.
    That would be a great point if riders were mandated to use rain tires when there was any water on track. Instead we often see sketchy racing on slicks in the wet, and sketchy overheated rain tires in the dry.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You know that the airbags deflate, right? The inflated state is only temporary.

Well, I don't know who is shitting on the guy but it obviously wasn't me. Otherwise, please find a post in which I questioned his decision. Just one and I will concede.

I have been blaming the officials all along. Pay attention to what you're reading if you're going to accuse me of something.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's your obsession with cracked windshields? Are windshields required?

As for helmets touching the ground, I don't know what the MotoGP rule says. Do you?