1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living on a boat - idiots long term dream may become a reality

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

House boats are not for me. I don't mind sacrificing some comfort in favor of the overall experience.

Going to sign up for a sailing class and go that rout

2. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why not just add removable pontoons to a toy hauler? :D

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I've always wondered something about this - what are the options for computer/data connectivity when traveling around? (Obviously not just docked up in one spot for a long time.)

I recognize that part of the appeal of living on a sailboat is the ability to be truly out of touch and the slower life that enables you to lead, but I'm wondering if it'd be possible to combine that nomadism with my job as a software developer. I can work from literally anywhere I have internet access.

Going from city to city along the coast of the US probably wouldn't be a problem, as cellphone tethering is usually fast enough for my needs. Obviously if I'm doing a serious ocean crossing then satellite would be my only means of communication, and data through that would likely be prohibitively expensive, but what about for smaller regions such as the Caribbean and the Bahamas?

5. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

Ten years ago I bought a 38' 15 year old Island Packet, i'd never sailed in my life. I gave a kid at the marina $100 to spend an afternoon with me then just started going out and learning the hard way. Two years later I ordered a custom built 42' Valiant, now I spend winters in the Bahamas, summers in NC. I brought the boat from Marsh Harbor Bahamas to Beaufort NC this spring in 3 1/2 days, 500 miles and burnt about 5 gallons of fuel. Don't be intimidated by sailing, you'll get immersed in it, I read every book I could find.

6. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

All of the popular cruising areas have good wi-fi. All you need is a good external antenae.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

By "cruising areas" you mean marinas? Or are you talking bodies of water?

8. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

Sure boats have there own systems but most are pretty easy to T/S.

I picked these ones because they are in the size range where I believe I would be able to live relatively comfortable. The Rinker is a nice quality boat but the Monteray is better quality. They both are under what you stated to be the max you would want to spend. I assume that you're single so I figured you would want something decent to bring the ladies out on. if you're not single then I would think that the sig "O" would probably want something nice.

9. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

In most of the popular anchorages in the Bahamas they have antenae based wi-fi service. I've been able to get wi-fi in some remote areas but it's hit and miss. You can always go ashore and find internet service, anywhere there's a large cruising population there's internet.

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Just out of curiousity, what do you do for a living? Retired?

Sounds like a cool ass way to live. :beer:

11. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

Awww shit :rolleyes:;)

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Hahaha... come on punk. My wrenching isn't THAT bad ))

13. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

build a tiny house on wheels. Just type that in on you tube. Awesome!!

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Sail boats have a little diesel inboard or a small outboard kicker motor so you really never have to put up the sails and can still cruise around fine. Slow, but fine.

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Houseboats, pfffft....ugly boxes....

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ugly, comfortable, spacious boxes.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I would check the regulations as I believe Georgia has regulations that prohibit living on your boat more than a month at a time.

18. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Unless when sharing a bed with one's sister...

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

What are you talking about? Your sister says she loves living with you. Something about you being hot in the sac as I seem to remember. A screamer is what I think she called you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  20. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Gee, so is a double wide but I wouldn't want to live in one.....but I guess if you've got that trailer mentality. Stay away from the meth labs. The ladies like this better.....

Attached Files: