1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living on a boat - idiots long term dream may become a reality

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

2. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

I hope you're mechanically inclined because it costs quite a bit for the mobile mechanic to come out and make whatever repairs. Also keep in mind that you need to haul the boat out of the water every 2 years to get the bottom repaired and repainted

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Reasonably mechanically inclined. I would expect that boats will have their own specifics.

Why did you point out those brands / boats?

4. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

The whole getting it repaired and repainted every 2 years doesn't count if you keep it kept up well. Bottom repair is about $75/hr which is needed every few years and shouldn't take more than a handful of hours. Even say 750 every 3-5 years isn't bad all things considering!

5. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

If living on a sailboat is what you want, then go for it. Where I grew up quite a few people were live-aboard and very happy.

I would take the advice from an earlier poster and go for a sailboat rather than a powerboat. They may be slow, but you can spend a lot more time on the water for the same$$. You can clean the bottom yourself (I did that for a living at one time). You can also do the bottom paint yourself if you have a way to haul it out. Owning a boat does not have to be all that expensive. Call the marinas in your area and find out about the slip fees for various lengths.

Go to a boat show in your area and "try-on" different length sailboats. You may not be buying a new boat, but it will give you an idea of what to look for.

If you do buy a sailboat, don't just hop on and try sailing. Take the time to take classes and learn how to sail. Some city-colleges have sailing programs or just find the local sailing school. Spend the money and do it right!

6. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How are the lake levels at Lanier? Not that I can afford it, but if I were looking for either lake property or a marina to call home, I would stay away from a Corps of Engineers managed reservoir. Power company lakes are MUCH have a much more predictable shoreline.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Guess I'll chime in.....I've got a boat, not living on full time yet (work 1.25 hrs from boat) but man, I'm on her from Friday's noon until Monday mornings. We head out and do over night coastal sails most weekends during the summer and generally sail her down to the Abacos for the winter.

+1 on the sail boat....although I think I read Lake Lanier, bla, fresh water. There are plenty of guys in the marina with really nice power boats and they never go anywhere due to the cost of fuel for a trip. When we're out on long trips we use about a gallon of fuel a day for the genset. Need to keep house batteries up. Could eliminate that useage with a wind generator and some solar panels and it's on the list but oh well, money.

32' boat is plenty. My brother lives on his low 30's Morgan. Plenty of room. You NEVER know where he is going to be. Bahamas, all along the west and east coast of FL, sails up to Charleston for some summer work. I wish I was him.

You want a decent galley (good refrigerator/freezer/gas stove), definitely a shower, comfortable salon, reasonable tank sizes (holding/fuel/water). I wouldn't own a boat without AC. It gets brutally hot around SC in the summers and you will not sleep comfortably some nights without one. A genset is really nice too :). That way you can run said AC at night if you're anchored out.

I guess for a fresh water boat navigation equipment isn't really critical but I wouldn't own a boat without a decent plotter (and backup) plus autohelm. Nothing worse than being stuck at the wheel during long sails plus with an autohelm it sure makes sailing single handed much easier.

Get ready to learn all the systems on your boat. Boat mechanics don't come cheap and there's nothing better than being able to fix your own shit. I carry a REALLY complete set of spares on mine and haven't had anything break yet that I couldn't fix myself (cept for a refrigerator). When ever anything breaks, buy two, a replacement and one for your spare parts.

Dockage, really varies. I pay $270.00/month in Charleston, SC, water and electricity included. Boat is 46'.

I can't wait until I can say fuck it and just head to the islands permanently. I am so sick of the civilized world...

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

On Marco Island, Fl. a friend of mine has lived on a sailboat for years. Not only is he happy with his situation but there are lots of hot babes who sail boats who are more than willing to crew and maintain the boat just for sail time. Win win.

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, I don't call it the stabbin cabin for no reason :D.

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

buy a sail boat (large enough for ocean voyages)

learn how to sail

(not necessarily in that order)

then when you retire or whatever you can go where ever you want in the world with little expense

I have met people all from around the world that do this and love it. I plan on doing it when I get older for sure, it's a bit more of an adventurous lifestyle which I am all for. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  12. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

standing headroom

remember those words when you're looking at a liveaboard sailboat. there are a lot of bargains out there now too and many in the atlanta area ., we wked and vacation on a venture of newport 23 . it's fine for that with the pop up cabin top. but day in and day out you'll want a 28 or 30 footer . these boats seldom come with a trailer . it gets expensive when time comes to move them or pull them out for maintainence . go out with a friend on a small daysailer a time or two to learn the basics . it's not hard but sailing can be addictive . I don't think you'd have to worry about lake lanier freezing in the winter but you will have to make sure you have enough water under your keel during drought times. good luck on your search. bill and darethea

PS .. read your first post again. looks like you could be a minamilist. go look at a macgregor 26 water ballast trailerable sailboat. I think it would have enough room for your needs or even a macgregor 25 for even less money . they sell complete for around 4 grand in good shape and pull easily with a standard pickup truck. in most marina's the shorter the boat the lower the fees. b bill

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Look in the Northeast. The used boat prices(sailing & power) appear to be much lower than the South. Buy it and cruise/sail it down south.

Sailing it all the way to Lanier might be tough. :D

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Hey, talk to this guy...

http://www.sailtime.com/location/us/atlanta

I'm sure he would let you look at some of their boats so you can get an idea of what you're getting for a 30's boat. Probably give you some tips on sailing too...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  15. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Before getting investing in a boat, check out the episode of Always Sunny: "the gang buys a boat".

You'll learn a lot about the experience :D

I think the best point made here is the lack of property taxes. I'll bet you can even set up a part time tour/fishing business and write off most of your boat's expenses. Win win!

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Might want to check on the property tax thing. In SC if you're here for more than 4 months without leaving SC waters they'll hit you with property taxes. I"m pretty sure GA has the same thing. I personally get my ass out of SC waters enough to avoid them but that will be kind of hard to do if you're stuck on a lake..

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

The owner of my office building did that a few years back. Took his 40' speedboat down from Pennsylvania to his second home in the Tampa area. Said it was a blast and would do it again. I'm sure it was quite expensive though.

:crackup:

Last time I was on Lake Lanier was some 20 years ago. Beautiful lake, but man, there was some seriously oversized ocean type yachts cruising around. I take it they don't have any size restrictions?

18. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I would recommend a complete marine survey of any vessel that you may think about purchasing. It will cost you a few hundred up front, but could save you thousands in the future.

Good luck with your adventure! It's one of my dreams to go live aboard. I was about a year away when I lived in Milwaukee (if I sold everything). Now that I'm inland I'll just "borrow" my parents boat for any Great Lakes adventures.

19. AT7driver

AT7driver Well-Known Member

Have done a lot of boating, racing and cruising. Google sail lanier, some good info. Like others have mentioned go with a sailboat, great sailing on lanier.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You might want to check into this.

Now the rumor I've heard, but don't hold me to it, is that you get to live on a boat year round AND they pay you for it!

Sweet deal, huh?

[​IMG]