1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josh Herrin at Daytona (new title, same thread)

Discussion in 'General' started by evil smile, Mar 14, 2011.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

No. It was in several pieces. I think the throttle bodies were still usable. But to tell you the truth I'm just glad nobody died because that crash has been my big Daytona nightmare for years. I just thought it would happen when a tire exploded. But I feared several guys getting run over at something between 170 and 195 depending upon which race it happened in. Compared to that nightmare, a wrecked bike is a deal.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Hi John.

3. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everytime I see the drafting I cross my fingers that nothing happens because at that speed the outcome couldn't be good.

My heart stopped from seeing Danny's crash alone. The S/F incident had me scared shitless until I heard everyone was OK.

Bikes are replaceable...

4. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Its got a few runs, but it still looks MUCH better than the Daytona stuff...

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Sadowski...1991 maybe?

6. John29

Yeah but he was not in the middle of a drafting pack. Other more recent solo crashes there have included Ben Spies and Jason DiSalvo. My nightmare scenario has been six guys drafting to the line and one of the leaders in the pack has a tire explode, crashes and gets run over. I must admit I never ran that nightmare through my head as being set-off by weaving and front-brake-lever contact, but still, we were very, very lucky nobody got run over. Stuff happens really quickly at that place on that track.

7. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Humble Pie is perhaps the finest man I have ever worked with,so much in fact our mechanics from the past two years are wanting to beat his ass! :)
    Some how if possible it would be cool to get the band back together for a mechanics all star team.
    Dustin Meador
    Ed Sullivan
    Chuck Giacchetto
    John,
    Can I make this happen? :up::moon:

8. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

9. John29

10. John29

On your own time and your own dime, sure.

11. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Are you saying it's incorrect for another person to say something demeaning about another without personally knowing them?

what terrible people.

12. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

kinda my point...

13. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

I 'd rather not have anybody crash. And not have more work at this time of year. I love painting bikes but I hate having to charge someone for an accident. I'm not an ambulance chaser. I hate crashing all the way around. I used to be out there. So A win for me? Naw. Just more work when I'm burried. Now I really need you as a customer. I openly honestly feel very fortunate to work w the great AMA racers and Wera racers I have as friends and customers. But I tell it like it I see it. That just how I am

14. John29

You read too much into a simple ironic observation. Carry on.

15. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

This part is a crock: "AMA Pro Racing COO and Managing Partner David Atlas said, “We met with [Herrin at Miller Motorsports Park] and it was a confidential meeting. We did what we thought was warranted. We studied the entire matter very carefully and determined what was announced on Tuesday [May 3] was the best resolution of it."

You studied the matter carefully the first time when you handed out the penalty. All you did this time was show favoritism/pressure and went back against a penalty that most everyone (including the other racers, even those not involved in the accident) felt was fair.

Sigh.

16. chadspaint

I'm just paranoid and don't wan't people to think i like crashes eventhough i get work from crashes. I'm much happier when the riders i paint for don't crash. I know you know this but the beeb.. well. you know.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  17. chadspaint

I read this article
    I think Seller rear ended A few people before he got his suspenson and he was all over the track almost all the time.

Herrin has brought some of the most exciting racing ever seen to the ama and has not blatenly rear ended more than one person in a season

18. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

sorry but I think that an intimidation tactic on the fastest part of Daytona gone horribly wrong has little to do with what anyone else did anywhere else

19. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

So it's ok for a sanctioning body to lessen a penalty they originally thought to be fair and warranted so long as the person who benefits from the waffling provides exciting racing?
    That would mean there is a different set of rules for different riders depending on, what, where they finish? Where they are in the points? Who they're sponsored by? How vehemently they complain? The AMA tried that system already, it didn't work.

Rules have to be applied and enforced evenly on all competitors or they have no merit. If assessed penalties are negotiable then they have no weight and the rules become meaningless.

The AMA has put themselves in a real pickle with this decision because now every infraction, every penalty, every decision will be considered negotiable. And every time they (AMA) do negotiate with a penalized rider the rules will become more meaningless, every time they don't negotiate the AMA will be showing favoritism.
    I can not imagine what they thought lessening Herrin's punishment would accomplish, but I sure hope it was worth it.

20. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

mercy... this one will be around for a long time. Glad to see Seller finally mentioned in all this. Not saying his penalty was inadequate, but penalties need to be fair and balanced. I think the trio of Seller, Eslick, and Herrin had a variety of incidents and none had punishments similar in scope to the others.

You'd think DMG running things would make everything more "professional". I guess it's still in development from the way they've worded their press releases. Sorta like the Supersport class...