1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't get this argument on a defensive or combat handgun. If I'm having to gun down a couple of potential rapists in dark alley the last of my concerns is how the trigger "feels". All I want is for the gun to go BANG every single time I pull that trigger. I don't give two shits if it's sexy, feels good, or can hit the bullseye at 200yds as long as it can reliably deposit hollowpoints into the bad guys gut we're cool.

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

It still does all of that, but with a much better trigger pull and with a more tactile and shorter reset. In short, it allows more accuracy and better/quicker follow up.

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Nice! 75B? I've had my eyes on an SP01 or shadow for a while. Then the AR bug bit me.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Shitty triggers and bad coffee ain't worth it when there's better to be had.

5. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

cz75 is the best buy out there with smooth racking & all the bells & whistles .. congrats Racer45

6. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

talk to guys that were in real shootouts. not one will tell you they were thinking about trigger reset, or how smooth it felt.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

True, but if you shoot regularly it's nice to have a better trigger and you get used to the shorter reset. I don't know about others but that has helped me shoot faster and maintain my accuracy. But then I try to shoot at least a couple times a month.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yup. Gross motor skills are what matter. Without being too dungeony, I honestly believe more than a handful of accidental and probably unintended shootings are a result of these ultra light custom trigger jobs that a lot of Tackleberries put on their duty/carry guns.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

When i'm down in US for work for a week or more i'll find a local gun range and rent a bunch of guns cuz we dont get to play with em up in Canada without a bunch of BS rules and registrations.

ANywho, i was down in TX, rented about 5 or so handguns already for a magazine or two just to try them out and the guy behind the counter recommends a 1911 commander of one sort or another...I forget the company now but its a higher end 1911.

Load the mag, slap it in, drop the slide, sight on the target and literally put my finger on the trigger and that mother went off....

the lightest/no-travel trigger i've EVER encountered and i have a bolt action with a light trigger (it has the finger safety though).

It scared me shitless when it went off because i honestly thought it wasnt me that made it shoot. I know they say the shot should surprise you but thats not what they had in mind.

I cant see anyone Daily carrying that locked and loaded, pulling it out in an emergency and getting a good shot off.

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

most people that have to carry a pistol for work are usually not allowed to modify the pistol at all. Maybe putting night sights or something but usually trigger work is a no-no.

as you mention if there was an "accident" it would be bad if the opposing counsel could show that you had improperly modified the weapon.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Pre B (pre 1990). Israeli military surplus that has been gone through and made nice again. Place in TN imports and redoes them to sell. Looks like new

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Issued guns yes. Many smaller depts require employees to supply their own (or at least give them the option). Most times as long as it's on the approved list that's all they check. You KNOW all the tacticool guys are modding.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't know the internals of a Glock but if gravity has an effect on anything in the firing mechanism, it's one reason a local cop ain't a cop no more.
    Seems he had to have a tacticool trigger job/whatever. Responded to a call, long story short, he's gotta put a deer down. He points his weapon at the hunter-shot deer laying in the caller's yard and squeezes. Thing goes full-auto for 4 rounds...or until it starts to point more horizontal.
    Dumb fuck. Prolly did the work himself using his online gunsmithing degree.

Be careful out there.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

yeah, but not everyone can afford to or wants to afford springing for better.

I know my Kel-Tec PF9 is not an awesome firearm ...but I paid $180 for it, and it reliably feeds cheap HP's. The trigger pull is long, but smooth.

It's not enjoyable to shoot, but I think part of that is me being a shitty shooter... Not the gun's fault. Maybe some day I will be qualified to complain about its shortcomings, but for the time being i would sound like the teenager at his first track day bitching about how everyone's passing him on his 2005 R6, because their bikes are newer :rolleyes:

All that said, I'm looking at the Ruger LC9-S as a "someday" upgrade.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That. Is. Awesome.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No one said ultralight custom trigger jobs, my XDM trigger isn't ultra light, it is lighter than factory also shorter and has less reset than the factory trigger. It is still a safe trigger, you have to consciously have to pull it. I've shot ultra light triggers, a buddy shoots in the unlimited classes. First time I shot his pistol I double tapped without trying. Not a pistol I'd carry but great for competition if you're used to it.

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Yup! Also he should know that a DOA trigger still has considerable travel before any sear movement takes place. The factory XDS trigger specs somewhere between 8 and 12 lbs. the PRP dear and spring kit iirc are somewhere around 5-7 lbs. Not only that, but the sear is engaged on more area than OEM, actually making it less likely to move if dropped. Keep in mind, that's also redundant because it has a striker block that doesn't move unless the trigger is actually pressed.

18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Nice! I actually prefer the pre-B model over the B. However, I still lust for the Sp-01 Shadow.

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Do the triggers you guys are getting for the XDMs maintain the trigger safety?

20. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Should have it by the weekend. Can't wait to shoot it. Heard too many good things about it to pass it up on the price. Shadow is nice too