1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a Race Van

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You should be able to upgrade springs at both ends for not too much money, maybe $400 total if you do the work yourself.

A 1/2 ton van really isn't enough for two bikes, gear, and multiple passengers. Did you put the seat in? One thing to consider is that with the bike mounted so far back, you're leveraging its weight, pushing down on the rear and lifting on the front. Mounting it right up behind the seats will balance things out better. Also, is that TRS mounted through the plywood to the floor or just in the wood? It needs to be to the floor for safety. If you wreck it will rip out and you'll have a 450lb motorcycle slamming into your back.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

E350 guys.
    Can you fit two bikes on TRS side by side at the far back? Little bikes like Ninjettes?

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah.

4. DHuskic

DHuskic Active Member

Even in the E150 there's a little over 4 feet inbetween the wheel hubs. Plenty of room for 2 bikes side by side.

5. baconologist

6. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Here is my Ford Transit High roof, 148" 3.7L V6, Long wheel base. I plan on ordering the wall liners this week and mount the Rubbermaide track system to get things off the floor.

Attached Files:

7. steve802cc

steve802cc Well-Known Member

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If it's the extended e350 you can leave the the first rear bench in as well. Plenty of room side by side for two bikes and getting to the bolts for the TRS plates wasn't bad at all.

9. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I didn't see the option for a second row of seats on the transit, where did you find that at?

10. ljuice26

There isn't. I found a 34in two seater on Ebay for $175 and had it installed. One of the guys from the Fordtransit forum sent me a PDF with all the measurements and where not to drill and this is what we came up with. The guy I ordered from says he gets seats in daily. He had all versions, 2 seat(32in), 2 seats(34in), 3 seats....... And he has the best prices. I included the PDF.

http://stores.ebay.com/daunhauermotorcompany/

Attached Files:

11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Do you have more pics of this set up? Also outside pics of the vehicle? What did you spend on it and are you liking the Ford. I have a 2006 E250 extended and I love it but I am looking for a sprinter but the horror stories are making me nervous on buying one.

12. ljuice26

I'll take some in a few. I bought it not far from where you live (Manteno Ford). I chose the Transit because most of the parts come from the F150, so they are more available than sprinter parts, maintenance is less expensive, and the purchase price was less than the sprinter. I got it for $31k after the Ford rebate. You have to go thru Ford financing to get it, but I refinanced it thru my credit union for a VERY low interest rate. I added the seats, the powered air vent, and I'm still waiting on a quote from the uplift vendor that ford uses for a price on the wall liners. Oh, Ford also offers a $1500 uplift rebate on the transits.

13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

yep I know where its at. Good to know on the parts swap to the F150.

14. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Very nice! I have loved mine so far. Have a little over 10,000 miles on it so far. I snagged some Passenger van seats for $100 and e-tracked them in so I can pull them when we go to cali and haul 2 bikes plus gear. I havent built mine out at all because we arent always hauling the same stuff all the time.

Enjoy it!

15. ljuice26

Sorry for the crappy pics. I'll take more when I go pick up the bike.

Attached Files:

16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I wish I had the time to do a Sprinter diesel rv/toy hauler build

17. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

me too, along with the money to do it

18. baconologist

another dumb noob question....I know the "super van" is the ideal set up. But can you make 2 bikes, junk and a pit bike work in a regular 1/2ton length van. While still having room for a bunk on the road?

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Probably not. I hauled two bikes and gear in my van once (long wheelbase) with the first row passenger seat still installed and it was PACKED, and that was without a pitbike.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I feel like adding the bunk starts making things unnaturally complicated. Steve's bunk across the width of the van is the most practical option.

Otherwise I think you're looking at moving a fair bit of "stuff" to the front seats to make room for a sleeping pad next to the bikes.

Those hitch-mounted cargo baskets might free up some helpful space too. Figure it will hold a cooler no problem, maybe tires? Or you could do the bike-mount hitch for the pit-bike. I'd actually trust one of those for something 100cc or less...