1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a Race Van

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

After a couple of years of talking, and several months of looking, I finally found the perfect van. It's a 1997 E350 Passenger Van with only 67,000 miles. Picked it up for only $3700! It's got the 5.4L V8, cruise, and it's in pretty good shape. It seems to have been a preschool or church bus but soon it will be the ultimate racebike hauler!

I'll keep this thread updated as things progress. Plans are to put on some cool wheels, get it in tip-top running condition, strip out the interior and convert it into a hauling/sleeping space, install pit-bull trailer restraints, tint the windows, put in a kickass stereo, add a hitch, do some minor paint/body work, and hit the road!

These would be the "before" pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Pimp! I want one. Weird but I've always wanted a white van full of race bikes.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Tough to beat the Ford extended vans. :up:

4. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

SICK! I want one sooooo bad! But my s10 works for now......

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Church vans are usually a good deal. They are typically used on the highway a lot, and are well cared for.

Suggestions:

Aside from the extra seats, don't "strip" the interior: you'll want the insulation, both for heat and sound.

Cut 1/4-3/8" plywood to fit the inside of the rear side windows, paint the pieces flat black, install them between the window and the window trim. Keeps prying eyes off your stuff, and keeps stuff from knocking the glass out. (ask me how I know this)

Oh, and if you feel compelled to change the spark plugs, torque them properly.

6. Nice pick up :up:

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

By "strip" I meant remove the seats and most of the rattling plastic. I'm going to finish out the cargo area (behind the first bench seat) with floor to ceiling panels covered with indoor/outdoor carpet, backing it all with sound deadening insulation. I want this thing to be comfortable for all the long drives it will be going on. There is only one track within 4 hours of where I live, and I don't like that one very much. All the good ones are 6+ hours away.

Speaking of high mileage, has anyone ever changed out the ring and pinion for something higher to get better mileage? I won't be towing any more than a couple thousand pounds, if at all, so I'd like to go higher and stretch the mpg's out a little.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get a good mechanic to do that. What ratio is it now?

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

10. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Nice-very Mert Lawwill!!!

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can but I doubt you'll see any substansial gains versus the cost. You will see more MPG with skinnier tires but you have to be careful with the proper load rating.

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

:crackhead: it's a van dude :up:

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Looks like 3.54 is as high as I can go anyway.

14. :crackhead:

"Nice pick up" as in "good find" or "nice catch". :up:

15. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

maybe skip the wheels--assuming you go big, they'll cost you mileage and brakes.

van looks great. congrats

16. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Welcome to the Van community!

17. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

With halloween coming up, can you tell me who might have the best deal on candy?

18. 2001chromo

2001chromo Well-Known Member

check ebay, it's even magnetic ;)

[​IMG]

I just don't leave it on all the time... but you MUST have free candy in there otherwise you're just a wannabe!

19. Saw the post for a similar thread about the need for a STRONG cage separation from you, bikes, parts etc and thought it MOST important mod to do. Did you know a box of Kleenex on your rear window deck in a car has the impact force of a 400 lb object? Saw this on a science show, but thought, damn how many weighty big objects would one have in a race van.....brrrrrr. Be smart.

20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

*Sarcasm* as in "sarcastic response below" ;)