1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a Race Van

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2011.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Thanks guys
    I was tring hard to justify an antique supervan. It isn't gonna work.

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's a great setup Leon. We have an 07 GM passenger van with a 5.3. Love it, when it's time to get another van I think the Transit will be the ticket though. They should be 5-7 years old by then. Perfect!

3. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

Don't give up hope - you can do 2 bikes and a pit bike in an e150. Granted it's not super sexy, but that's what I do.

First thing - the bench seat. You can't use a stock location bench seat. Bolt in your own but move it forward so you've got the same leg room as you would in a small hatchback.

Second thing - hitch basket. It's great for pit bull stands and fuel jugs.

I can do 3 people, 2 SV 650s and a TTR90 and all gear on the van as long as you pack like a tetris master and don't mind a little sag in the rear. If you do it frequently, upgrade the springs.

It's do-able, but when you have just 1 SV, 1 90 and 2 people - the e150 is sexy roomy. makes it worth it to tell your layabout friend to get his own ride.

Attached Files:

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dang man, what do you mean it aint sexy?.....you still seem to be pullin the pretty girls with it.....????:D :rock:

5. baconologist

:beer:

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

After trying multiple setups I'm coming back around to the van being the best. Main things I didn't like about my ext. E350 was whacking my head loading bikes and the 12 mpg with the 5.8 gas motor. A high top with the 7.3 diesel or a Sprinter would be the shit. Too bad 99% of the Sprinters in my price range have advance stage body cancer and leaky injectors.

7. clarustnb

If you have an ext 250, there is no fuel savings or price range that makes as much financial sense as riding what you already have. I haven't won the powerball. I can't afford the sexy tall van. Just get me to the track so I can buy more tires.

8. Tristan

If you're used to loading bikes into an open trailer or big/tall enclosed, even the ext. E350's will be a pain to load- 2 bikes and gear and 2-3 people was my limit playing the Tetris game. Even so, the added security and not having to deal with a trailer is probably worth the trade off.

9. baconologist

I can deal with play tetris all day long. Especially if it removes having to unload the open trailer when I get home Sun night.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Agreed. The point of the van was to save me the effort of loading up a big trailer and getting 9mpg the whole trip when it is just me or me +1. If it was ALWAYS multiple people, I'd just get a truck and a toyhauler.

11. clarustnb

Oh yea - and also if I don't have to do a 15 point turn to back down my driveway with a trailer.

But if you're only bringing a bench seat, 1 bike, 1 pit bike, and gear - the E150s are down right roomy - no tetris required at all.

12. baconologist

The short van is more common and seems to be in better shape than the long vans.

It's 2 Ninjettes, pit bike, all the stuff and the kid. I was hopeing the rear seat was doable, so he'd have a place to nap if needed.

Thanks for the pics.

13. clarustnb

Yea - start singing that tetris theme song and get to work!

14. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

This thread has been great to follow. The biggest van I ever used for racing here, was a Toyota previa with a GSXR 1000 and a GSXR 600 and a shit load of spares and one helper. It took a while to pack, but handled well and went well. Only bitch was, I had to take the screens off the bikes to get clearance past the top of the door/roof

15. Tristan

For comparison, what I have now is a V8 4runner and a 6.5x12 open trailer. Gets 12 mpg. Ups:Super easy to load, can probably hold 4 bikes, rolling tool box, 2 canopies and other gear. Downs: have to store the trailer, trailer too big and heavy to move around by myself on my rough driveway, no security, not enough room to sleep inside tow vehicle, without trailer still only gets 17 mpg.

16. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

I have a shorty. It fits 3 supermoto or dirt bikes with 2 mini bikes, yes at the same time and with a back seat still in. I have a pic somewhere, it looks utterly ridiculous.

Current config is the back seat is moved forward and butted up against the front seats (on tie-downs). That makes it a 3-seater and yes napping on that back seat is a great boon when the crew is coming back from the track, one can nap and then take over driving.

17. baconologist

Since this thread has become everyones compilation of van builds....let the build begin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'66 Supervan, 240, 3spd that'll be replaced with an FI 300/6
    500# of sound deadening, insulation, 2 TRS mounted at the back will leave space for a 20" wide shelf/bunk over the engine box and behind the seats with storage below.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Baconologist - keep posting your progress. I've always loved the old vans and step vans. The only downside I can think of is a lack of AC, but it looks like you have some pretty big plans that may have that issue covered.:up:

19. baconologist

and cruise, crumple zones, real brakes, parts availability, the list goes on and on. It'll be rustic fun. The kid voted this one higher than a newer more comfy one due to the cool factor.

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That is going to be sweet :up:

Here is a little something van related to kill some time
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434542