1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just get a contract to run some Coors over to Atlanta.

ducnut, BigBird, 418 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Is that before or after having to pay for the truck, insurance, maintenance etc?

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Company driver. It's their truck.

ducnut, BigBird and 418 like this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I heard that 2 hours buys an 8 by 12 four bit room.

Jeeeeeezus I'm old.....

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Too bad you didn't sign up to be a Swiftie Driver

"Taylor Swift gifts $100K bonuses to truck drivers on ‘Eras Tour’"

6. dtalbott

But is $100K bonus enough to have to hear her music more than once?

5axis, ducnut, ToofPic and 6 others like this.
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Step deck freight is at an all time high. If the drivers aren't making bank, the brokers must be.

I have to add, the drivers seem to be getting worse at both driving and communications. They don't call for an appointment, then have a fit if they have to sit for a day or even a couple hours.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My wife does all the transportation in and out at the small plant she works at. She gets drivers in that can't even speak English. All she gets is " here for load " then they hold up their phone with the load info on it.

ducnut, ToofPic and BC like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Engrish pwease!!! Actually I googled this and it came up from before my time.

I'd listen to that stuff, on a drive all the way across the country and back again, for 100K. Heck, I would even be willing to do a few laps back and forth for that 100K.

I agree, I've had two drivers that couldn't back the truck into my driveway to unload forklifts. One of them we cut slack and did it in my neighbors lot and unloaded. The other one I told him to get someone that can back in.

Another guy was belly aching about backing in and I said here give me the keys and I will do it. Then he said, C'mon dude, and I said what? Then all of a sudden he backed it in. Took a few attempts, but he did it.

ducnut, ToofPic, AC1108 and 1 other person like this.
  10. auminer

Dang me.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  11. dtalbott

I know in Virginia that the CDL test is available in 20+ languages, yet 99% of the highway signs are in English.

ToofPic and AC1108 like this.
  12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Consider that a hint.

AC1108 and dtalbott like this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep, I get that too. Yesterday was a Russian. Missed his appointment by 5 hrs, then took 2 hrs to unstrap the load. I finally had enough as I watched a monster thunder storm rolling in (I'm the one on the forklift with the huge mast) and the clock approaching closing time and finished unstrapping the load. I've also had drivers get their boss on the phone to ask me to back their truck in for them.

ToofPic and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Chug a lug, chug a lug

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  15. auminer

Hi-de-ho!!

OldSchlPunk and pickled egg like this.
  16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Brokers are definitely making the bank!

Buddy of mine owns a company brokering loads...... let's just say ... There is no struggle for money on his part.... I'm guessing he's clearing 75K a month

ducnut likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Wow, I got in the wrong business

5axis, ducnut and ClemsonsR6 like this.
  18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

YES. There is a smaller brokerage house for sale.... I'm thinking about it but just not sure if that's what I want to really do.

19. Boman Forklift

Shoot me the deets. You didn't ever do that other business we talked about did you?

20. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Boggles my mind how much freight they’re brokering to clear that much a month. I’d love to hear about some of the headaches with drivers they have … trucking is dumb , but I like it :D

Boman Forklift, ducnut and BigBird like this.