1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

so which is better?

tony 340 likes this.
  2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I would hope/expect there to be a time-line to either grandfather current trucks in,w/or punishing people like you and others that have trucks on the road.
    My hope is that enough driver's and companies lay down on this epa shit.
    I drew my line in the sand years ago. I'm not gonna freeze,or be hot waiting in a parking lot again. If I can't idle,fuck em,I will leave and won't go back.They can get their shit by wishing as far as I'm concerned.
    California is the #1 on my list of they can go without.

dtalbott and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you decide to go down that road, do tons of research. I’m currently in a KW T680. My buddy is in a Pete 579. Both of us have extensive Volvo experience, as well. I’d never buy a new PACCAR product.

I’d strongly suggest reading through Joel’s posts. I can’t get 15mpg, empty!

https://www.facebook.com/joel.morrow.507?mibextid=LQQJ4d

I don’t know how to share a private group, but, this one is worth joining. Henry Albert, of Team Run Smart, is a semi-regular. Joel is in here, too.

F2DC9301-6C7C-473A-8E3D-9545FE8965FE.jpeg

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The new Pete with auto trans all day long

BigBird likes this.
  5. tony 340

Bought a brand new Pete 3 yrs ago w.Eaton auto and haven't had any problems yet.

Put a Cummins x15 in it from the factory. Drinks about 1.5 DEF cubes a week.

Truck drives like a Cadillac compared to the rest of my stuff. We pull loaded tankers up the Rouge and zilwaukee bridges uphill now and don't lose speed

Am I actually using less fuel ? Fuck no

It's all politics to drive the economy, grow gubbermint, and keep the union guys brainwashed.

Main reason for buying the Pete was their new state of the art dealership 5 miles down the road from my shop

Shop labor up here is close to 200/hr parts you cant even get, throw all that in on top of we have no mechanic besides me and when my guys choke on a job because of sub par equipment the new stuff just made more and more sense.

At the end of the day it's just a math/time game

BigBird, ducnut and ToofPic like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Most of us are having tons of problems with PACCAR products, at my current and past employers. I’m having 2-4 CEL’s per week. The two 2nd Gens who park to my right are constantly in the shop. In ~100K combined miles, they have more than a dozen shop visits, between them. One of them is on the 3rd set of injectors. Our HQ shop can hardly keep them on the road. The joke is: “Problems were engineered into them.”.

Both, past and present employers, have stopped buying Cummins. I think, every one of them has had a cam, valvetrain, or both. The driver to my left just kicked a rod out of his, on cruise control, 67mph. He was covering my contract, so I saw his oil down, on the interstate, flat land.

I’d rather be back in a Volvo. They seem the most reliable, up to ~500K miles. Then, one had better be trading into a new one. Nothing can touch their I-Torque setup, for mileage and power. Way more room. Quieter.

On techs: My employer is offering $2/hr more than the dealerships, with almost 100% free insurances, 1wk vacation, from day #1. They can’t get techs who are qualified WITH a clean urine sample. Strange times.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

did you mean to write 1 week of vacation? Like, that’s a perk? lol

cpettit likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

We get that on day #1. Instead of having to work a year to accrue “X” week(s) of vacation or accruing vacation time per hour worked, we start off with a week. We’ll get 2wks, at the end of year #1. I’ve never worked for anyone in trucking who do that. So, yes, it is a perk.

ToofPic likes this.
  9. ToofPic

Yep! As a driver I have always worked most major holidays and a year would get you 1 week off. It's not a profession that gets time off for family or 8 hr days

dtalbott, BigBird and ducnut like this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

11. 418

418 Expert #59

https://cdllife.com/2023/eight-hund...h-worlds-first-self-driving-trucking-company/

I'm bumping this thread because I'm pretty sure we talked about this way back when. By now, apparently, these self driving trucks were all going to have our jobs. Damn near 10 years ago. First self driving trip happend in 2016.

Loadsmith isn't even a trucking company, they have ZERO trucks according to FSCMA website. They're a broker. Smoke and mirros bullshit.

In conclusion don't believe everyting you read, now or years ago. Especially when it's probably desinged to suck new investors in.

ducnut, dtalbott and ToofPic like this.
  12. ToofPic

I just want to see them argue with shipping and recieving,and park at truck stops!

ducnut and 418 like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Be a bigger feat to see them pull up to the fuel island and refuel, fill the DEF and clean the windshield. ;)

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

An awful lot of today's "cutting edge" products being brought to market seem to be reliant
    on technology that's "almost there". EV batteries are the most glaring example of that and
    autonomous vehicles are another. The researchers and manufacturers always have promising
    solutions that are "just around the corner", "showing promising results", "about to revolutionize"
    the industry/product.
    It really does appear that just getting anything out there that investors can actually see is the
    game, rather than developing a product that is actually ready to come to market and perform
    in a way that a reasonable purchaser might expect.
    New products always need the bugs worked out but that's not what's happening these days.
    At what point does it just become fraudulent?

ducnut, Once a Wanker.. and 418 like this.
  15. tony 340

The fella I work for at a certain university says....

The gubbermint grants dry up if ya cure it

Better to show progress towards the finish line, than actually cross it

ducnut and 418 like this.
  16. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

How about those Caterpillar OTR engines from 2008? lol

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I know I’ve mentioned it but look up electric cars from 100 years ago… history is a lie… all of it… and tech is suppressed…

Dr Steven Greer just released a new documentary “The Lost Century” all about oppressed tech and what’s coming that they can’t hide anymore…

ToofPic likes this.
  18. ToofPic

Look at the money E-ciggys have cost phillip morris,and the tobacco industry! God only knows who big money would love to go missing with just that money loss.I haven't read what you have,but I'm sure technology has been squashed for quite sometime.

27 likes this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I don’t know about the E cig industry but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same cig companies that own them too…

there was a fascinating real journalism piece about the pot legalization process in Colorado way back… suitcases full of cash… all warehouses and support networks Pre-purchased… guess by who… the tobacco companies RJ Renolds, Phillip Morris… big money at play… years before it happened

I did stunt work for Red Bull years ago and was livid when I found out it was Phillip Morris money because of some settlement they had to produce some positive activity athletics videos… they paid Red Bull, Red Bull paid the production company, Anonymous Productions paid me…. Actors guild took a cut along with every Gov agency that could get their hands in it… big money is a club and we ain’t in it as George Carlin so eloquently explained

ducnut and ToofPic like this.