From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You know how to repair forklifts?

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Or scoop dawg crap.

Actually, we'll train.

DFW sucks, though.

3. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

For $100K/Year?

ToofPic likes this.
  4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I love driving rigs,I just couldn't stomach the 16 hr days anymore. By the time you wake up, drive to and from the yard,shitty receivers that hated checking you in. I don't feel bad for the industry at all.I do miss the alone time like R1 racer said,and my Sirius xm shows daily,but I now have a life.

R1Racer99 and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. auminer

Sounds like exactly what made me choose scooping dog shit years ago VS getting a CDL when I really needed something to keep me outta the house 30 hours a week.

Mainly, it was the 30 hours a week part. :D

The miles between city limit signs sounded like heaven.

But the shitty receivers and the fuckheads in the unavoidable city traffic jams that think you can stop on a dime when they cut you off and take your front gap cushion would FKN SUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!

At some point I'd go to prison for crushing a Mazda.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Would it be the one that @Dave K drives?

A. Barrister and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. auminer

One can only hope! :beer:

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I used to hate that, especially coming into tolls where you're leaving a
    big space in front of you and assholes keep jumping into that space to
    get ahead of you.

dtalbott likes this.
  9. auminer

Yeah.... I try and be considerate of those poor saps pulling 53 feet of unbending metal. but if I slow down to let 'em in, some twatwaffle in a Yeep invariably jumps into the lane I've left open....making me AND the cabdweller mad as shit.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not feeling either one of those occupations or locales. Haha.

I was at the KC plant, tonight. One of the guys said to brace for a long one. Ugh!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If those guys get what I've read in the paper, expect regular F150s to crack 100k sticker price within 2 years

I'm lucky that I charge my truck to my customers 3 + days a week

How these guys afford these superduties that aren't contractors now is mind boggling to me

ducnut and ToofPic like this.
  12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

To add, it’s official, my buddy is out of trucking. Put his truck and trailer for sale, went for a month long visit to Greece and when he comes back he’s out of trucking. Gonna go do siding or windows.

ducnut likes this.
  13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One thing that article didn’t directly address is the UAW strike. That has generated a LOT of additional capacity for the open market. For regional companies like my employer, the closure of just a few plants has resulted in layoffs of the majority of our drivers. There are 6 auto part drivers out of my remote location and I’m the only one left working, because of the plant I service. The others are getting an occasional broker load assigned to them that isn’t worth putting the key in the ignition.

418 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on BJ and the Bear I thought brokers were how all the owner operators did it :crackup:

dtalbott likes this.
  17. auminer

Damn you're old.

ohwait

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

"
    The loads may not pay much, but brokers are able to supply carriers with loads that pay just enough to cover the monthly truck bill.

Carriers may be losing money, but that small amount of cash flow will keep them in the game longer than would be otherwise expected"

man...that's not a good look

damn.. lucky for you, but that has to be stress inducing, and maybe even some survivor's guilt

ducnut likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Better look than thousands of trucks getting repo’d.

BigBird likes this.
  20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Brokers suck. I'm on the receiving end of freight and when I look at the freight cost and compare it to what an owner operator ends up with after the broker/brokers get their cut it's shocking.

backho, BigBird, ducnut and 1 other person like this.